[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 103 KB, 530x356, C0046947-SLAC_Bubble_Chamber-SPL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2490702 No.2490702 [Reply] [Original]

wheres the best place to start learning calc/pre-calc on my own? i've recently moved to a new school with an 95% black student body and my education will be ruined unless i can do something on my own. i already have a pretty good understanding of trig and i get the concepts behind theory of calc, but i need a good resource that will explain it thoroughly

pic relevant to my interests

>> No.2490715

khan academy.

google it, youtube it, anything.

planet math is also good.

>> No.2490717

kahn academy

>> No.2490732

MIT (and other universities) has lectures on itunes - generally advanced topics but if you run out of high school content to learn you might find it interesting

>> No.2490739

Same situation, thx OP!

>> No.2490744

>>2490715
>>2490732
These are excellent

Pirate a copy of the Schaum's notes for the subject and get a hard copy of a used, older edition textbook on Amazon for a few bucks.

PatrickJMT on Youtube as well

If your school really sucks and you have a few hundred dollars to play with take classes at a community college. Get your parents to harass the principal. If you lean on them they'll waive your actual classes if you're taking something harder...just ace all standardized tests because that's what the principal cares about. My sister and one of my friends both graduated HS in 3 years doing this.

>> No.2490761

>>2490744
Especially if your school offers <=5 AP classes. Get on that.

>> No.2490769

>>2490702
Differential and Integral Calculus by Richard Courant

>> No.2490781

>>2490769

NO.
NO.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? HE'S A NEW STUDENT WHO HAS NO UNDERSTANDING YET.

THAT SHIT IS FUCKING HARD AS HELL. THAT'S SPIVAK LEVEL.

NO.

Khan Academy, OP. After you feel confident, try out Richard Courant's "Differential and Integral Calculus" or Spivak's "Calculus." Both books are classical, legendary and exemplary in their usage of pure mathematics.

>> No.2490820

>>2490781
>Differential and Integral Calculus is HARDDD
Who you trying to fool anon?

>> No.2491606

>>2490820
truth, but when you get into it, it become easier. I mean that when you understand what you are doing, you begin enjoying it.

>> No.2491627

Math is pretty basic and straight forward.

Just pick up any entry-level Calc book and have at it. Provided you have the algebraic background, you'll be fine. Calculus is actually very easy, IMO (provided you actually take time to understand what's going on instead of simply memorizing how to solve problems)

The skils you learn in early calc will carry over to multi-variable calculus and beyond, so make sure you REALLY have a solid understanding of it.

Honestly, I could've skipped my college classes up through Diff Eq and taught myself. I skipped half the classes and the only thing I needed the professor for was to ask questions when I got stuck - but you can really ask the same questions on any math forum or study group and get the same results, IMO.

>> No.2491631

>>2491627

Oops, forgot to link the book

http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Early-Transcendentals-Stewarts/dp/0495011665

Find that on an e-book site somewhere, get the solutions manual, and just plug away.