[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 43 KB, 468x280, floating-futuristic-green-concept.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2474887 No.2474887 [Reply] [Original]

sup /sci/ducks, kind of a sci-related post. I've been trying to teach myself german for the last year. Partly because I would consider spending time in Europe (maybe doing PhD research or something), but mostly to see if I could do it.

I started about a year ago, and now I can read German pretty well (I can make out the meaning of paragraph, but I still miss a lot of nuances). More interestingly, however, I've been able to make out the basic meaning of other Germanic languages, like Dutch, Swedish, and Norwegian (I think I've only read Bokmal).

So I've decided that I'd like to learn a lot of languages, since languages are exponential. Anyone know good cross linguistic books? A book that could give me an understanding of all Germanic languages, or all Romantic languages? Shit would be super cash, I've tried google but failed a lot...

pic unrelated, I just think it would be sick to live in a relatively compact, sustainable house. We're gonna need to change the way we look at the basic living unit. Every unit should be as self-sustainable as possible.

>> No.2474902

sage goes in all fields

>> No.2474912

Google probably didn't help you because a book teaching all of the Germanic languages at once would be silly and it is unlikely such a book exists.

>> No.2475300

Start by learning a very very easy language that you can master quickly and move up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto#Language_acquisition

I doubt you'll get anywhere trying to learn more than one language at once you'll likely only get a little bit of knowledge of each which is useless since you won't be able to do any better than Google Translate. But that's just me, there will be many on here that know more languages than I do.

>> No.2475310

>>2474912
This. Other Germanic languages are going to be useless anyway. If you want to learn another language just learn Mandarin or Spanish.