[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 247x204, stem cells.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2429074 No.2429074 [Reply] [Original]

hey i know this sounds stupid and you don't care but i have to do a debate about stem cells and i really have nothing because i want it to be funny along with good so i thought do want everyone else does when they need something done right ask 4chan so guys can you help me out and if that's not enough i can show naked woman if you do.

>> No.2429174

The facts are on your side in that one.
If you haven't already then you need to read up quickly on the lincoln-douglas debate form and pay attention to the take aways even if you don't end up using it. One main take for example is to clearly frame the opponent's argument as well as yours and be sure to call your opponent on any of their drops.

Secondly, if you have not studied the Socratic method and had a primer on argument and logic then you should also read up on that on Wikipedia.
The main idea here is to assume your opponent is right and make logical arguments until you reach an absurdity or cannot continue. If you reach an absurdity then the initial argument or premise was false. Assuming your arguments are all valid.

These ideas are at the core of good debating. As I said initially, the facts are on the pro side with steam cell research.
The con side here is very similar to the irrationality involved with creationist arguments against evolution. It's an untenable position.

The central point is, and this is a prime motive in Obama repealing the ban on it, we have stem cells available from ethically legitimate sources (in vitro fertilization produces lots of embryos that will never be used or developed) and the research is too valuable to ignore.

>> No.2429213

>>2429074
Also, never let your opponent drag you off your main points.
You will just end up wasting your time defending points that don't matter and your opponent will win by default.

Structure your counter arguments in such a way that you quickly dismiss your opponents' attacks and also fire back in a way the will require your opponent to take up time defending his points.

In short you always want yo be sending more stuff his/her way to defend against.
Say things like My opponent cannot defend their position without addressing a,b,c,d,e, and f.
They can't get all of those points in a limited time and you can them call them on the ones they miss.
You are not trying to change their mind, you are trying to win the audience. This is a chess game, stay on the offensive.

As far as being funny. That's just in how you phrase things. This one can be pretty serious though and you may not want to be perceived as taking it lightly.

>> No.2429217
File: 19 KB, 320x292, Philip Rivers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

GUYS HES GONNA SHOW US A NAKED WOMAN

>> No.2429219

i did not need to know how to debate or the points on this i needed a good and funny augment i can use

>> No.2429247
File: 31 KB, 480x397, cocomi-sakura-nude-photo-67.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

well because of that funny i think soccer post here it is because i should show but hope you think up something good