[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 22 KB, 225x310, WeT-HeaD-Knowledge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2428393 No.2428393 [Reply] [Original]

What's the most portable science major? Or a job attainable with only a bachelor's in science that'll allow me to travel around the world doing that job in different places? Other than teaching...

>> No.2428405

Physics is the most fundamental.

>> No.2428409

that doesn't mean anything

>> No.2428410

Well, while it's not a bachelor's, getting a degree in medicine and becoming a General Practitioner means being able to work anywhere you want in any country,
I mean, face it, by becoming a GP every single developed country in the world is going to be hiring you the moment you touch down on their land.

>> No.2428417

if you want a job right out of undergrad, get into a biology-based major. if you really want to travel, major in either microbiology or evolutionary biology. also make sure you get into undergrad research as soon as possible, that'll really help you in the job market.

>> No.2428419

>>2428410
>he doesn't know foreign doctors drive taxis in Canada

>> No.2428435

>>2428419

>Because they got their degree in medicine in India/China and not America
University recognition, mon

>> No.2428436

>>2428417
I was thinking of maybe doing that, and becoming a medical lab technologist. There are hospitals everywhere and they need someone to run their tests.

>> No.2428442

>>2428410
>Implying you wouldn't have to get certified to practice in the country you went to regardless of what degrees you have.
>Implying you can just travel the world working as a doctor
>Unless by the world you mean africa and you're going to work for free

>> No.2428461

>>2428417

i agree with this anon. it really is pretty easy to find work as part of a biological research team, especially if you have to ability to travel whenever they need you, those kinds of biologists are invaluable on the field.

>> No.2428469

>>2428436
Do you just want to be able to get a job abroad or do you want to work for a company that sends you around the world.

If you want to travel the world, the best I can think of is petroleum engineering. It's also probably the highest paid out of the engineering or sciences.

Or if you want to get around faster, just about any science major and then become a naval officer and sign up for duty on an aircraft carrier.

>> No.2428475

Um, geology, obviously. Biology majors are lucky to get a job cleaning shit from under a lab bench for $20/hour with a bachelor's.

>> No.2428503

physics, chem, or bio?
geology is not an option for me sorry...

>> No.2428508

>>2428475

lol i don't even have a bachelor's in micro yet and i'm already working part time as a paid researcher for a mining company that needs to know about the wildlife in the area before they decide to blow it all to shit so that they don't get sued for not relocating them properly.

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, geology is way too competitive to find a job right out of undergrad with.

>> No.2428513

>>2428405
Amy Farah Fowler argues that neuroscience is the most fundamental, as it is the basis for all our sciences, including physics. Sheldon obviously takes issue with this.

>> No.2428550
File: 61 KB, 576x757, Engineers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2428405
But you need a PhD to be taken seriously as a Physicist.

>>2428417
Still need a PhD to be taken seriously.

>>2428436
Lab Technician is an 'easy' job that you can train for and will always be in demand, though you'll find difficulty getting a job in a country where you don't know the language.

To answer your question, OP: Engineering. Full Stop.

No need for Grad School (though a Masters helps), can find work anywhere civilized (and many places non), you'll always be needed, respected, and paid well fresh out of undergrad.

Despite what my colleagues suggest, I would actually recommend staying away from the bio-sciences unless you're committed. Bio-sciences, just like any other natural science (such as Physics) is more of an 'all or nothing' field. As in, either you've got a PhD (or MD) and are a hard-assed researcher or you're nothing.

Nobody gets PhD's in an engineering field unless they're going into academia. Though some people do get Masters degrees and they're paid quite well, if you're looking for something to do fresh out of undergrad you'll be hired quickly once you mention you're an engineer.

In short: Engineering. /thread