[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 90 KB, 720x540, 1257830576814.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2407266 No.2407266 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone give an explanation of how magnets actually work? Why do some metals have magnetic properties and some don't, what energy is being converted into the attractive force that drives magnets, what is the efficiency of that conversion, etc...? Pic unrelated, but it makes me happy

>> No.2407274

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnets#Background_on_the_physics_of_magnetism_and_magnets

Read that section and everything it links to.

>> No.2407275

electricity

>> No.2407273

Look at that disappointed member of the itty bitty titty committee.

>> No.2407283

Holy crap, I would do things to those titties that are illegal in some states.

>> No.2407294

Ferromagnets electrons orbit align when they reach the currie temperature, which magnifies the attractive charge of the atoms by pointing their magnetism in one direction
Also dang dem titties!

>> No.2407306
File: 37 KB, 480x640, cat_its_beautiful.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That girl is perfection

>> No.2407336

I guess each of her tit weigh more than her and her friend together.

>> No.2407357

>>2407336
hahaha what

>>2407283
tell me about it

>>2407273
bahahaha i know right

>> No.2407368

OP here

"Every electron, on account of its spin, is a small magnet (see electron magnetic dipole moment). In most materials, the countless electrons have randomly oriented spins, leaving no magnetic effect on average. However, in a bar magnet many of the electron spins are aligned in the same direction, so they act cooperatively, creating a net magnetic field.

In addition to the electron's intrinsic magnetic field, there is sometimes an additional magnetic field that results from the electron's orbital motion around the nucleus. This effect is analogous to how a current-carrying loop of wire generates a magnetic field (see Magnetic dipole). Again, ordinarily, the motion of the electrons is such that there is no average field from the material, but in certain conditions, the motion can line up so as to produce a measurable total field."

This is the basis of magnetics according to the wiki article, but it still doesn't explain what it is. All it says is that in very small amounts, it's caused by spin and rotation of electrons, replicating very tiny electrical circuits, and thus magnetic fields. It still doesn't explain how the spin/rotation of said electron is converted into a force which can actually attract or repel other like materials.

>> No.2407371
File: 56 KB, 465x600, 1293847133350.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2407336
In some women, one breast is larger than the other.
In that woman, each breast is larger than the other.

>> No.2407385

>>2407283
What action that can be done to titties is illegal in some states but not others 0.o

>> No.2407440

Electro-magnetism is one of the four fundamental forces in physics. It just is, Wikipedia just explains why somethings demonstrate magnetism in the Newtonian world.

>> No.2407489

>>2407440
I guess that's the best answer available. It just seems odd to me that the spinning of certain particles creates a force similar to, but much stronger than gravity, while other particles spinning or moving very quickly don't.

Or at least I assume they don't. If you have a very fast moving circular stream of protons, do they create a magnetic field too? If not, why is the negative particle unlike the positive particle in this regard?

>> No.2407497
File: 23 KB, 349x500, 41h1TkpkEzL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2407266
All Magnetism/Magnetic phenomina is really just some relativistic effects of electric phenomina (Classical Field Theory, Basic EM).

All electric phenomina can be fully explained using Quantum Field Theory and Quantum Electrodynamics.

The majority of human tech is based upon Electromagntism, as we pretty much got it all covered.

This is probably all over your head, but that is your answer.

Anything else?

>> No.2407506

>>2407489
Electron spin isn't electrons "spinning". It's an intrinsic property of the particle. Weird, I know, but there it is.

>> No.2407514

>>2407489
Protons also have a magnetic moment due to spin (they are also fermions). NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) imaging depends on this. You're basically causing and watching for nuclear spin flips.

>> No.2407518

>>2407489
Any moving charged particle creates a magnetic field. So yes. That is specifically used in an MRI scan.

>> No.2407515

>>2407497
can we please focus on that fact that, that girl has humongous tits?
I hate when threads get derailed

>> No.2407538

>>2407497
I guess what I'm looking for is a concise description of how relativistic effects tie electrical forces to magnetic ones, rather than just mentioning the fact that some magnetic properties were predicted by quantum electrodynamics. I understand we have equations to determine the numerical values of fields, but I'm more curious as to how the fields directly interact with each other over distance, why they seem to only be associated with negative charge instead of any charge, and why the spinning of said charged particle creates such a strong directional force.

>> No.2407541
File: 65 KB, 1024x768, 1295613458933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2407497
Question answered.

how about we post some big tit pics now?

>> No.2407572

>>2407538
They are the same force, and the sign of the charge just determine the polarity of the magnetic field along with the trajectory of the particle. We usually think of electrons rather than protons because they move a lot faster so they generate stronger fields.

>> No.2407575

ah, good to know. Any information on why the movement of said charge produces an attractive force at a distance? Also, this attractive force has to come from somewhere, and it stands to reason that if it exerts force on another object, that the original object would lose energy (transferred to the other object.) When this happens, as the magnet weakens, what is actually happening? Are the magnetic domains becoming unaligned, or are the electrons losing angular momentum, or what's actually taking place?

>> No.2407609

>>2407575
There is no energy loss within the magnetic system, the magnet induces a current in the attracted object which generates an equal and opposite field. The energy change in the objects really only has to do with potential energy not some kind of magnetic energy, unless a photon is emitted which doesn't really happen with bar magnets and iron nails.

>> No.2407618
File: 24 KB, 325x475, 493351-L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2407538
>concise description of how relativistic effects tie electrical forces to magnetic ones

The answers you seek require some pre-requisite knowledge you don't have. You need to know basic physics, basic Electromagnetics and then a good understanding of special relativity.

I can refer you too books, but that is all. If you want to understand how shit works, you need to take the time to study.

>associated with negative charge instead of any charge

This is not true, you can associate however the fuck you want, as long as your system is consistant. You could call plus minus, or minus plus, it doesn't actually fucking matter.

>why the spinning of said charged particle creates such a strong directional force

That is not true. When they talk about "spin", it is a Quantum mechanics term. It doens't mean a "physical spin". Spin just means an intrinstic angular mometum. Again, you need an understanding of basic physics, before you can even begin to understand what they mean in quantum physics.

>> No.2407682

>>2407618
Easy there man. I'm asking questions here because I have a casual interest. Of course knowing it backwards and forwards would take a lot of study.

There's no reason for you to get mad about this. BTW, I understand what "spin" means, and I'm aware that the labels we've put on forces are arbitrary. I've also read several entire books (I know, shocking) on various physics related topics. It has however, been over 10 years ago, and this was more idle curiosity on a rainy night than trying to prove my intelligence or disprove anyone else's. If you're not interested in answering some simple questions, don't bother, but don't condescend either.

The poster above who mentioned creating an opposite electrical current and thus magnetic field in the other object answers another of my questions, and while it was an obvious answer, it was one I'd overlooked.

I suppose the thing that gets my goat the most about a lot of people is that once they understand the equations behind something, they no longer try to connect it with a physical knowledge of what's happening. I dislike this approach to physics, getting lost in the numbers, without having a connection back to a real world visualization/understanding of what's happening. Most books I've read explain things quite well in mathematical terms, but leave out many concepts that make a casual discussion possible.

>> No.2407690

>>2407541

Fuck this thread for making me reply to it even though its a question that gets answered in depth every day here just to ask for sauce on this girl with big tits and glasses in a worksafe board. Fuck this thread.

>> No.2407700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

solved

>> No.2407742
File: 43 KB, 600x435, 810928-lmao_super.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2407682
LMAO, not mad.....

Yes, physics starts leaving out "casual" or "intuitive" shit, becuase there is none after some point.

Why do you assume shit has be be intuitive to you? Why do you assume that all physics has to fit into some very shitty very limitied observations you can understand?

Most people don't get enough experience with physical phenomina in general. You experience a few basic EM phenomina on a macro-level, and usually nothing else.

You can't boil down all of physics concepts and connect them to your limitied observations. Study more, wine less.

>> No.2407778

>>2407742

Were all these typos intentional?

>> No.2407813
File: 228 KB, 570x610, gtfo_take_fail_GTFO-s570x610-78516-580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2407778

>> No.2407833

>>2407813

I'm honestly trying to determine what point of view you're trying to troll with your horrendous spelling and grammar.