[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 22 KB, 640x480, Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2402070 No.2402070 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /sci/,

Any other underachievers out there?

Maybe I should elaborate. I'm an underachiever in that I hate dealing with the education system. For example, I will probably be going to a shitty university where I will probably be the most intelligent person there and have the highest SAT scores, by far.

When it comes to the subjects I like, particularly math and science, I'm an overachiever (kind of?), I find it fun and interesting, so I do well in it. I don't know if that's considered overachieving.

But yeah, intelligent, high SAT scores, probably going to be going to a shit college where the average SAT score is lower than 1500.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

>> No.2402099

>>2402070

>thinks his 2000 is going to be the highest at his school

>> No.2402098

Yeah, I like to brag too.

>> No.2402100

I went through a hipster phase my senior year. It was terrible. I basically decided not to go to college and go to community college until May 1st. I didn't apply, and it was pretty much the last possible date to send in applications for this really crappy school in my state. I got in naturally, and now I'm here, but you know what? I like it. I'm having lots of fun, and I'm learning quite a lot on my own. It's a small school, so I already know my professors really well, and I can easily discuss math (my major) with them, and they'll listen and care.

I had the grades to go state at very least, and I may (10-20%) have gotten into a good private school, but I'll never know how far I may have gone with my first year applications.

>> No.2402107

There are no overachievers. There are people who realize there potential and those who don't.

>> No.2402111

Everyone thinks "I'm brilliant but I don't apply myself".

>> No.2402118

>>2402099
My SAT scores are over 2000. Even if they were 2000, they would probably be one of the highest at the school I will probably be going to.

The 75th SAT percentile for the school is 1590.

>> No.2402123

>>2402098
definitely not bragging. How would I be bragging? That I'm going to be going to a shitty school?

>> No.2402130

No OP, its only you. The majority of “underachievers” know how to work the educational system in there favor. Because of this most underachievers tend to go to the top 10 schools. It seems you are the only one who could not figure out how to break the system.
Better luck in another life.

>> No.2402131

>>2402118
2010, my bad.

>> No.2402132

>>2402123
No, that you are going to be the best with no effort on your part.
basically this
>But yeah, intelligent, high SAT scores, probably going to be going to a shit college where the average SAT score is lower than 1500.

>> No.2402135

>>2402070

nobody gives a fuck about how "intelligent" you are

nobody likes "idea guys"

the world needs people that get shit done

>> No.2402138

>Read this:
>shit college where the average SAT score is lower than 1500.
>Fuck I didn't even get a 1500 and I always thought I was pretty smart
>Oh yeah
>1600 is no longer the max

God damnit, trolled by a younger generation.

>> No.2402145

>>2402132
Being the best at a shitty school doesn't seem like something I'd brag about.

The purpose wasn't to brag, but to see if anyone was in the same boat. Basically a bawww thread.

>> No.2402153

>>2402135
I get shit done in the areas I'm interested in. The reason why my GPA isn't great is because I got horrible grades in classes like art.

>> No.2402158

>>2402145
no. you're bragging. read your own fucking post. and before you think you're smart, or that your SAT scores matter, consider that almost every person who went anywhere in life had drive and determination whether or not they were underachievers. einstein was an underachiever in school, but guess what, he was teaching himself calculus when he was fucking 14.

tl;dr shut the fuck up

>> No.2402159

>>2402153
Then dont take art classes, what the fuck?

>> No.2402164

>>2402153

everybody gets shit done in the areas they are interested, even the most dumb , annoying, airheaded bimbo bitch will have amazing make up and work out a lot to keep her body

its the people who get shit done everytime, that are woth something

>> No.2402170
File: 23 KB, 622x562, really.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>he has to take an aptitude test to get into university, as if it isn't common knowledge that anyone who cares enough to get a good score can just pay someone else to take it for them

>> No.2402175

hey jimmy

>> No.2402183

>>2402159
>implying you have a choice in high school.

If I wasn't forced to take classes that I didn't like I would've had a 4.0.

>>2402158
Again, are you reading? I do shit when it interests me. When that condition is I met I go above and beyond. I started learning calculus on my own well before I was taught it in school (in AP Calc this year), and I've done extensive reading about physics on my own time.

Not to mention that, but I've been teaching myself computer science and programming for several years now.

I get the shit I like done. But some consider me an underachiever because I didn't find it particularly important to get an A in art to get into a good school.

>> No.2402186
File: 274 KB, 650x520, EricCartmenez.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I REACH THESE KEEEDZ!!!?!?!

>> No.2402207

>>2402183
Besides a language course, i only took math and science courses in my senior year of highschool.

>> No.2402227

Not really an underachiever. I achieve to the extent that I still have a life. I also copied a lot of the 4.0 kids' homework in high school. Did well on tests because I am like uber smrt lol.

Happiness > Getting a $100+k job when I finish school.

feelsgoodman

>> No.2402276

>>2402227

It's easy to please yourself when you have no goals.

>> No.2402305

The truth about life? Keep learning and applying yourself no matter where you are. Top schools are the preferred way to show that you are fully applying yourself, but like everything else in this world, there are multiple ways to reach the same result. Don't need a top school to make >100k per year. If you keep learning and developing good shit for humanity simply because you like it, you will probably end up doing better than 90% of those who are seemingly better off right now. The fact is, keeping on top of others is nearly impossible to do, everybody will fall back in one place or another, and it is those who learn and keep going that will succeed. And, mind you, success isn't measured by your paycheck, but by your contribution to humanity before you die.

And lets not leave a final point out of this discussion: your worth as a person is (at the least) a function of your smartness AND of the work you've done. May be the smartest person in the world, but if you're so socially backwards that you're afraid to step into the world and apply yourself, then you are worthless altogether and have NO redeeming qualities, no matter what you SAT scores are.

>> No.2402307

>>2402183

Aptitude without wisdom is useless, and in the end, people end up where they belong.

>> No.2402326

I didn't care that much about going to school in high school, but I loved mathematics so I put up with it. I don't remember where I read it, but I always had the quote, "If you want to destroy, destroy from within." in my mind. Even though I hated 90% of my classes in high school, I went and did well.

I went to a top ten university for undergrad. No, it is not an Ivy. It's one of the other top ten schools. The kids there loved their subject and loved to discuss things, and this was a great and nurturing environment.

Towards the end of this, I began doing poorly for a variety of reasons, and so I had to go to a subpar graduate school to get my phd while most of my friends went to top ten universities for grad school. I noticed that while they were doing exciting new topics, my subjects were limited to easier, more standard classes (eg, i took topology I and II again my first year of graduate school while one of my friends took combinatorial topology and another took computational topology.) and the students at my school were not as motivated as those in better schools. The professors knew this, and despite doing independent research with them, I never quite realized my full potential at that school.

So, yeah. Do shitty in high school and tell yourself that community college is just as good as real college. Do you know of any Nobel prize winners who went to community college in the last 70 years? Do you know of anyone who made any kind of meaningful discovery who went to community college in the last 50 years?

If you just don't give a shit, that's fine, but don't delude yourself into thinking you're a genius and you could'a been something. You make who you are.