[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 320x277, jesusland_orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2392033 No.2392033 [Reply] [Original]

Starting a new education thread without the antisemitism.

So, the US has poor standards of math education in high school. Calculus in american high schools is limited to advanced placement courses and not offered at every school.

Science requirements are similarly poor.

ITT: We discuss the causes of these problems and ways we would fix them.

>> No.2392043

Put people who are qualified with math credentials to teach math.

Also, place more math teachers so that the classes are smaller and many more will get 1 on 1 help

>> No.2392046

Do something about bullying and racial tension.

When I was in grade school I was far more concerned with not getting murdered than learning things.

>> No.2392048

I like the way the US education system works:
To get people to value education, they need to be educated. So the people that decide on what is taught have been educated by the same system that failed them the enlightenment of proper education and so fail their children with the same hocus pocus they were taught.

>> No.2392051

Canadian here, please keep michigan.

>> No.2392063

>>2392046

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure that that would be sufficient. Do you have/know of any data suggesting differences in the level of bullying in US schools and those of other countries doing better in education?

I know it's not necessarily possible to do a straight comparison due to cultural differences, but I think it would be interesting to look at.

>> No.2392094

The US has a culture of religiosity, and knowledge is dangerous to religion. In general we (the theocratic states) rightly fear real eduction, and our citizens don't favor it. As long as parents would rather their kids don't learn, the kids are going to comply.

It isn't my intent to derail the thread, because even the culture of 4chan doesn't allow exploration of this mechanism, however it seems to exist in the US, and mostly cannot be discussed. It is one source of the grassroots backlash against science and the educated, which produces a distrust in education in general.

Education is the only cure, but most Americans don't want that cure for themselves or their kids.

>> No.2392104
File: 78 KB, 765x405, HIDI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meh, it's good enough for me.

America is the most powerful country on earth and there still isn't a country powerful enough to stop it.

>> No.2392106

>>2392048

True enough. That's probably how we got that whole "new math' debacle.

Being a relatively recent product of the US public educational system, I can also attest that the people setting the curricula don't really care much if any material advances beyond the elementary. We also more heavily emphasize English and history classes than math and science, yet we're famously inept with our language, and most (but not all) kids I went to school with had a terrible understanding of even US history (thinking the articles of confederation had to do with the civil war, etc.).

The question is, who should decide what's to be taught? Further, how do we decide what should be taught in each class? Is it reasonably possible to get research scientists and qualified historians, etc. on state boards of education? Or really, should they be? Because I think that might just cause the board meetings to degrade into arguments about which field deserves the most class time.

>> No.2392116

>>2392094
I'm no fan of religion either but outside of a few specific controversial issues like evolution, global warming, and stem cell research I don't think there's much butting heads between the bible thumpers and the poindexters. The religious right does not give two shits about civil engineering, computer science, aerospace, agriculture, or just about anything else like that.

What is the religious objection to global warming research anyway? I still don't understand that.

>> No.2392118

>>2392094

Anti-intellectualism is a pretty big problem, to be sure. I'd imagine that on a cultural scale that's one of the biggest reasons we feel it's okay, or perhaps even preferable to be less educated. However, I think that it doesn't necessarily hold in all circumstances, because private, religious secondary schools are also often the best in America,so it doesn't necessarily seem to be entirely caused by a religious culture.

>> No.2392121

>>2392116
It's not religious people, retard. It's people who don't want to have to blame people in general for global warming and they're right. There's no such thing as global warming because it's herpderp "climate change" now.

>> No.2392123

>>2392116
Ecofascists can shove global warming up their arse. It's bullshit and only butthurt americunts are dumb enough to believe it.

>> No.2392128

>>2392123
>>2392121

Congratulations for completely ignoring the point of his post and the thread to complain about things you don't like.

>> No.2392130
File: 19 KB, 229x211, jesuspeekaboo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392123

>>Ecofascists can shove global warming up their arse. It's bullshit and only butthurt americunts are dumb enough to believe it.

Then why does denialism correlate so closely with fundamentalist Christianity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1naH2A7GU

>> No.2392135

>>2392033
It varies state to state. California is amongst the worst, but that's okay, Canada is taking it..

>> No.2392140
File: 476 KB, 491x399, fundiebitch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392121

>>It's not religious people, retard. It's people who don't want to have to blame people in general for global warming and they're right. There's no such thing as global warming because it's herpderp "climate change" now.

Not religious people, eh? See:>>2392130

Pic related

>> No.2392148

>>2392104
China is coming.. watch out!!

>> No.2392153

Canada is going to get annexed by the US someday anyway. It's their destiny.

>> No.2392154

>>2392121
>There's no such thing as global warming because it's herpderp "climate change" now.

Global warming and climate change are two different terms used to describe two different phenomenon

>> No.2392155

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYHWpRR4yc
Here's a short news bit about education in Finland. It might be relevant to this discussion.

>> No.2392156
File: 61 KB, 1413x1500, atheist vs christain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Another discussion about religion on /sci/

>> No.2392157

>>2392116
>What is the religious objection to global warming research anyway? I still don't understand that.

Just part of the gestalten distrust for academia that arises from specific conflicts with world-view.

we can pretend that religious people only hate biology but still completely trust physicists, but that isn't the case. They aren't that discriminating, they know that colleges produce liberal atheists, and they distrust a mechanism that can destroy them. (generalizing all over atm)

We have a culture where it's far more valuable to be a "good" person than an educated one. We don't emphasize achievement because we want an inclusive society. We can bemoan the lack of education produced by this system, but any drastic improvements in that arena will disenfranchise vast portions of the "average" populace.

>> No.2392159

>>2392104

It seems to me that that position is untenable if we continue to fail to educate our youth, though. At a point brain drain is going to catch up to us, though. When we can no longer compete in technology we won't be able to compete on the global stage.

We can continue to get by on imported brain-power for a while, but as India and China industrialize further and further we're going to have fewer and fewer immigrants to work in our tech and science industries.

>> No.2392160

>>2392154
>still on about global warming

It doesn't exist.

>> No.2392161

>>2392148
China sucks ass though, so who cares?

>> No.2392166

>>2392159
We've always imported our brain-power.

Also, we don't need an educated population to excel, we only need a few educated people and a society that rewards them.

>> No.2392167

>>2392160

>>It doesn't exist.

This is what fundamentalist Christians actually believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1naH2A7GU

>> No.2392168

>>2392155
My GOD they're poor...

Also

>Finland
>relevant

nope.avi

They have a nice suicide rate though, just like their fellow filthy mongoloids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

>> No.2392180

>>2392167
Post as many jootube videos as you like. It's not real. The record winters this year and all the snow fall should clue you in on something, kiddo.

>> No.2392186

>>2392180
>successfultroll.exe

>> No.2392201

>>2392180

>>Post as many jootube videos as you like. It's not real.

Just pointing out that you share this belief with fundamentalist Christians. You can close your eyes and ears, refusing to acknowledge it if you like, but it's still true.

>>The record winters this year and all the snow fall should clue you in on something, kiddo.

Yeah, that weather and climate are not the same thing. And that a planetary warming trend is not incompatible with unusually cold local weather.

>> No.2392204

>>2392166

I suppose that the first part is at least partially true. However we've still produced a fair number of scientists ourselves. Wikipedia has a list:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_scientists

Sadly this also includes immigrants, so without an immense amount of sorting it can't be taken to be representative, but it was the best I could find.

The problem with allowing for extreme reliance on fewer individuals with higher reward is that it still retards the rate of scientific progress, and is entirely dependent on the uneducated being generally appreciative enough of pure science to want to fund it and reward the scientists.

>> No.2392218

>>2392155
They dress worse than Americans and Germans do. Amazing.

>> No.2392221

>>2392204
Cultural willingness to support science is certainly important, but capitalism produces a great deal of support without acceptance. We have a long history of resenting the successful, and still buying from them. Walmart comes to mind.

>> No.2392225

>>2392201
Yes, because the Americas and Europe being frosted over in the winter of 2010 and even still into 2011 is just imaginary and "local". Ice ages come and go and aren't we overdue anyway?

>> No.2392228

>>2392225
>the winter of 2010

which winter, the northern hemisphere or the southern? How can you discuss global climate if you're only aware of less than half of the globe?

don't answer, just GTFO

>> No.2392231
File: 59 KB, 636x1333, International_PISA TEST scores by race.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I suggest we fix the non-Asian minorities or ship them out of the country.

>> No.2392235
File: 204 KB, 470x570, lol-why-you-mad-tho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392168
>>2392168

>> No.2392236

>>2392155

Thanks, that's pretty interesting, but I don't know if the non-competitive learning method would fly here. It runs contrary to capitalist ideals, and I would argue to American culture in general.

Thoughts?

>> No.2392238

>>2392231
you fags keep posting this pic even though it has been debunked.

>> No.2392244

>>2392228
You seem very angry. Tell me all the record heatwaves last year then. Oh wai-

Compare that to the record snowfall and cold.

"Man made" global warming or climate change is a fucking joke.

>> No.2392246

>>2392231
Ah, the irony of racists calling others stupid...

and using visual aids to support their argument...

and still failing.

>> No.2392247

>>2392238
Really? The source is demanded.

>> No.2392248
File: 37 KB, 500x333, chartsbildung-hs3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2392251

as long as the criminal groups have propaganda to push, you'll always be 'underachieving' at obeying them

>> No.2392252

>>2392246
This is the delusional butthurt egalitarian, people. Facts and statistics are merely imaginary when it comes to their religious zealot like beliefs.

>> No.2392256

>>2392246
It always ends up this way. East Asian > White > filthy spics > and then the filthy coons

Tell me why you deny the truth? Are you racist against them Asians, racist? RACIST.

>> No.2392257

The problem with education in America is that it's geared towards producing a workforce and not a body of citizenry genuinely interested in learning.

A lot of people get out of college and end their education there, and that's just dumb. People need to have a love of knowledge instilled in them. Maybe the culture is the problem; there seems to be a rising trend of anti-intellectualism in America.

For example, I think every high schooler should have a basic understanding of the theory of relativity. Sure, the explicit math and formulations behind the theory are above a high school level and couldn't be taught, but you really don't need the math to give a rough overview of time dilation, length contraction, mass-energy equivalence, relativity of simultaneity, or the fact that the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe. You could surely intrigue a lot of people if you told them that time travel into the future is allowed under the laws of physics, and that you do it on a very minuscule level when you travel faster than someone else. The twin paradox also comes to mind as an interesting result of relativity. Fuck, even the idea that light has a finite speed is foriegn to a lot of people. I think impressionable young teenagers need to have their mind blown by science without having to worry "shit, this is going to be on a test."

There are tons of scientific concepts that continue to blow my mind, like time dilation, quantum tunneling, black holes, the life cycle of stars and how they created all of the elements heavier than helium, evolution, and brain chemistry, and these ideas can be roughly understood without needing all of the technical details.

>> No.2392258

>>2392257
Math is also a very interesting subject, but I don't think many kids appreciate it because it seems so abstract and useless. Fractals seem like a popular thing, and certain fractals like the Mandelbrot and Julia sets are relatively simple and could be explained to anyone with a basic knowledge of complex numbers.

I also hope that computer science becomes a more popular subject in high schools. Kids these days are technically proficient but do not know the basics of how computers work, and computers are becoming more prevalent in our daily lives. Computer programming is a good subject for everyone to have a basic understanding of, because it promotes logical thinking and problem solving. Languages like Python are quite verbose and would be easy for someone with basic knowledge of a computer to pick up. I'm sure many kids would be proud of themselves even if they implemented a small game like Mastermind or Tic-Tac-Toe in Python. There are also many easily explained but interesting things in computer science like Conway's Game of Life. I like the example of Life in particular because it is Turing complete, so after a explanation of the rules an instructor could pull up a configuration of millions of cells that counts from 1 to F in hexadecimal. Sure, no one should be expected to understand exactly how it works, but it's crazy to look at. Another cellular automaton, Wireworld, is simple and Turing complete, and I've seen implementations of a computer that counts the prime numbers in it.

So I guess the tl;dr is
>american education needs to blow kids' minds more and stress them out less

>> No.2392262

>>2392252
If you honestly don't understand why your "facts" and "statistics" lack meaning, you have failed the entry exam for /sci/, and should perhaps retake high school.

It is ironic that we discuss the failure of the American education system, and three or four of you faggots have to show up as examples of that very failure.

delicious irony.

>> No.2392264
File: 155 KB, 500x754, PISA2006_Figure6-3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mathematical Litericy 2006

notice the US with an average score around 450, 2 places below Azerbaijan.

>> No.2392265

>>2392262
When you have nothing but asspained ad hominems and no real arguments as to why the information is why then nobody intelligent will take you seriously. You honestly need to learn how to debate or do you enjoy denying peer reviewed factual information to fit your own agenda like the global warming denying religious faggot you are you filthy egalitarian? God created all men equal? RIDICULOUS!

>> No.2392266

>>2392264
Lol, Israel.

they aren't so smart now are they?

>> No.2392275

>>2392265
calm down... slow down...

form coherent sentences.... You're on the internet now. Nobody cares what you think, but they'll laugh at you if you can't form sentences.

>> No.2392281
File: 144 KB, 838x982, 1290310133631.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392262
The only failure in the American education system is letting you stay in the country and trying to educate the failure for minorities. I'd love to see the correlation between the success of a country and its test scores but tell me how the most monoracial countries do so well on tests? Don't tell me you believe Finland and Japan are bastions of diversity? Will you deny the test score racial correlation or use your denial of equality that was so hammered into your delusional head?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmartyn
emko.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F06%2Fwhite-teacher-speaks-out-what-is-it.html&rct=j&q=teacher%20b
lack%20students%20truth&ei=vLo6TZGSAomisAPWlfGLAw&usg=AFQjCNG1xjvn8Wn4nBv5eg2f7dzU-AMoaA&amp
;cad=rja

>> No.2392286

>>2392275
It seems you've failed reading comprehension. How typical and expected. Are you one of these butthurt minorities I've heard so much about dragging down our glorious education?

>> No.2392290

>>2392281
I never said you were wrong, I said your chart is meaningless and you're too stupid to understand why.

you hang out here a lot since your board was shut down I think. But you're the reason your board was erased, and you're a thick fuck if you think we're going to let you hang here now.

>> No.2392294
File: 11 KB, 251x181, 1288408100815.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392275
With all the ellipses you use, you honestly think you can talk down on what defines a coherent sentence? HA! HAHAHAHAHA

>> No.2392295

>>2392257
>>2392258
Goddammit, when I started writing this the thread wasn't in full on /new/ mode. I was hoping for some intelligent discussion ;_;

>> No.2392302

>>2392281
that pic is awesome bro

>> No.2392303

>>2392290
Give me a real argument as to why. We can do this all night, brah. 60 years of data around the world showing racial superiority in education. Why are you so racist against the Asian master race, you filthy religious fucktard?

>> No.2392313

>>2392295
The religiousfags started it. First they deny climate change/global warming and then they deny the racial correlations of intelligence and education. Only a fool would believe all men were created equal.

>> No.2392321
File: 32 KB, 500x335, love_being_white.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw darkie spic/coons who are overwhelmingly Christfags think they're equal to other groups near me and believe in equality

>> No.2392325
File: 168 KB, 400x400, 1293565364089.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392295
To be fair, your thread was shitty in the first place.

You know this is your destiny, never start threads again.

>> No.2392327

>>2392321
You're arguing with a white atheist that works in paleoclimatology, can you be more wrong?

>> No.2392340
File: 20 KB, 249x250, 1295338525343.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392327
>Delusional darkie faggot who denied climate change/global warming pretending to be a white paleoclimatologist near me.

>> No.2392342

>>2392033
>Starting a new education thread without the antisemitism.
Because bashing Christians is okay, but please don't bash the Jevvs.

>> No.2392345
File: 119 KB, 320x213, 1295237211335.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392281
>>2392281
> Finland and Japan
Both very affluent countries with less poverty
Blame race for issuse such as crime and lack of eduction not poverty

>> No.2392348

>>2392313
>climate change/global warming

It's been back and forth between global cooling/warming so much they're just like, "It's climate CHANGE!".

>As if there has ever been stable weather or stable weather is even possible or a global tax on carbon and raining money on Al Gore would stop the temperature of the Sun from fluctuating.

>> No.2392349

>>2392342
DATS RACIST, BRAH. JOOS ARE THE CHOSEN PEOPLE!

>> No.2392360

>>2392345
Goddamnit, not this shit again.

Explain why whites from the poorest families get higher SAT scores, IQ scores, grades, along with LOWER crime rate than blacks from the wealthiest families?

The economic issue has been debunked billions of times already.

In fact, plenty of poor Asians out there but they still score among the highest. Why so butthurt about the truth?

>> No.2392369

>>2392360
protip:
there's more than one anon ITT. Your brand of stupidity will have you arguing with most of /sci/. We're easy to troll like that.

>> No.2392377

>>2392369
Except that guy is winning and you guys are losing.
Nobody will take about it out in the open but we know they're inferior.

>> No.2392383

>>2392377
The dubs is truth.

CHECK EM

>> No.2392392

>>2392377
It won't make the mainstream because their "kind" will riot but you know.. Lets talk about it.

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/originals/2010/07/how_diversity_punishes_asians.html

Anyone remember that Asian kid that had perfect SAT scores and extracirculars and still got denied into harvard I think? They approved black and Hispanic kids who did FAR less than he did. This just isn't about whites, but about the Asians too. It's not racist, people should be judged by pure merit and not race.

>> No.2392393
File: 60 KB, 802x542, educationgdp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392281
>I'd love to see the correlation between the success of a country and its test scores

Here you go. Pretty much a straight line with former eastern block countries shifted to less wealth because of communist past and USA shifted to more wealth because they rule the world.

(notice - position is marked by a ball and not by placement of label)

>> No.2392421

>>2392393
Economic theory to struggling in education DESTROYED. Who else has something they'd like to make excuses for?

>> No.2392448

>>2392393
To be fair, USA used to have the richest (and the tallest) people on average in the world since even before WWII. Things went wrong when they became less white.

>> No.2392468

>>2392393
>Finland and Canada above Asians at test scores

what

>> No.2392492

>>2392360

sauce?

>> No.2392501

>>2392393
>>2392421
>>2392448
>>2392468

Sorry forgot to mention it is only male student test scores. Stupid google data explorer made me choose either male or female.

>> No.2392507
File: 18 KB, 287x269, shocked diglett.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>yfw france and the uk have shitloads of immigrants (yes including blacks) yet don't have usa problems.

>> No.2392511

Being a Finn, I don't know much about the American system (inb4 gtfo). I've gotten the impression that there are four major problems:

1) Blacks and hispanics don't speak English well enough (+cultural diversity issues)
2) Teachers aren't well educated.
3) The government wants everyone to go to high school for no reason.
4) Culture as a whole. Too competitive, doesn't value education and science, school is an institution which is supposed to lead to financial gain on the short run.. etc.

>> No.2392534

American ruling elite doesn't want "the great beast" to be able to put 2 and 2 together. Ignorant and arrogant hoi polloi are just what is needed. Science teach how to think so only a marginal and easily-controlled part of Americans can have access to it.

>> No.2392538

>>2392511
Being a Finn, 99% of American high-schoolers couldn't find your country on a globe, and a significant majority couldn't name your country of birth. You may have some good points there.

>> No.2392552

>>2392511
Most of the problems come from blacks and hispanics. Their cultures are the ones that influence the broader American culture not to value education and science.

Their criminality makes students in the American school system feel unsafe. Feeling imperilled is proven to greatly impair learning ability.

They are hired to be teachers without adequate qualification to keep up the appearance of "equality," thereby debasing standards.

Schools disproportionately focus on the underachieving black and hispanic students to the detriment of brighter whites and asians.

Blacks in particular don't even want to be taught, largely as a result of their aforementioned toxic culture.

>> No.2392555

Does he, like, live on a fish, or something..?

>> No.2392561
File: 3 KB, 168x264, ponder.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why Finland's schools are the best in the West
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/01/21/f-vp-smol.html
The arcticle is from yesterday.

>In Finland, a master's degree is required to be a teacher at any level, including the primary grades.
This explains a lot, I think.

>> No.2392564

>>2392561
*article

>> No.2392565

America is obsessed with people being extroverted. That's your problem.

>> No.2392567

>>2392565
an observational bias. You're more likely to know about the Americans that are obsessed with extroversion is all.

>> No.2392576

>>2392567

True, a lot of people in the UK are extremely obsessed with it, but the problem doesn't seem to be as bad looking at the mean scores.

This could be something to do with the cultural elite and middle-classes in the UK tending to be more intelligent and with greater access to private schooling, which combined will drive up the mean considerably. From what it looks like, this isn't the case so much in the US.

>> No.2392578

>>2392561
A masters degree is required to continue teaching 6 years after being certified in the US.

There's also a difference between teaching a classroom of 15 students of the same race with 3 teachers in the same classroom than 1 teacher with 40 students of every race.

>> No.2392582

I'm a New Zealander and I have to say that public education sucks ass here. It seems very amateurish, like the staff are all pretty much winging it.

>> No.2392585

>>2392576
In the US we have no middle class. You're wealthy or you're broke, and most people don't expect to be wealthy.

There's little need for just a little education. Finishing high school is just a rite of passage here, most people know it won't translate into any sort of advantage.

We've built a culture and economy where the disadvantaged will fight for the forces that hold them back. Great inequality is needed for great wealth to exist.

>> No.2392597

mfw when we had to learn complex calculations in 4-d space in highschool.

mfw our maths teacher had doctorate in maths and was a fucking bad as old school communist mathematician that learnt maths in communist moscow.

mfw i am better at maths than people in my uni maths class. even though i do chemistry and bio

>> No.2392601

Racial demographics accounts for the preponderance of the difference. The rest is made up by an over-emphasis on athletics and an overall lawless school environment where assault is routine and tacitly tolerated.

>> No.2392602

What the fuck is it about Americans and race? We have immigrants in other countries, too. We don't make a big deal about it. No-one gives a shit what colour you are, and no-one's competitive about it.

Also, nowhere has 3 teachers in one classroom, and the average class size in my country is 30.

>> No.2392608

>>2392597

Mfw I come to the US from the UK having done A-Level Maths/Further Maths and I'm doing 3rd level college work in my first year. Mfw it takes these people 2 years to learn what I did in 18 months whilst I was doing Physics and Music at the same time.

>> No.2392611

>>2392608

*3rd year

>> No.2392613

>>2392602
Race is objectively the root of the problem as all data and scientific evidence amply indicates, even when arduous attempts are made to ablate the correlation. Small wonder that cognizant Americans should care about it.

>>2392602
No one is disputing that other countries have immigrants, but it's a matter of degree. The U.S. has, proportionately, a lot more of the unintelligent races. These people underperform in your country too, they just haven't collapsed the whole system with their numbers and their insistent nagging about so-called systemic racism (the statistical manifestation of their own endemic stupidity).

>> No.2392617

>>2392561
I quite agree with that article. But yet again, no mention of immigration. My high school (8th best of the country last year, had around 300 students) didn't have a single immigrant. Not even one whose parents were immigrants.

I just have to mention this, though. Finland has a 6% population of Finnish swedes. And for that 6%, all of Finland has to learn Swedish. I fucking hate that language, and from grade 7 to second year of high school (that's 5 years) I had to learn it. And in uni, I had to take yet another course. Just saying..

>>2392578
Agreed.

Though actually, I never had more than one teacher in my classrooms.

>>2392602
Partially agreed. But really, America does have a lot of immigrants and it really is a problem. Not necessarily because of racism. Their culture doesn't appreciate education (and yet they still go to hs).

>> No.2392618

>>2392578
The class sizes in Finland ain't that small, bro. They're usually ~30. And we do have our share of immigrants. Granted, not as much as you do.

>> No.2392623

>>2392582
How come New Zealand scored so highly in PISA then? Are you all supersmart there?

>> No.2392626

>>2392613

I'm not disputing that at all, what I'm saying is that if you people stopped going on about race it would probably solve a lot of your issues. Stop saying and acting like they're worse, and you'll probably find that they won't resent you so much. If they stopped whining so much, they'd probably find that they'll be more accepted.

On the point about the wealth/intelligence correlation. A better measure would be the average level of education per culture. This does not mean race. I mean things such as inner-city ghetto, suburban, rural etc. The attitudes of people around you will affect you a huge amount. There are a lot more highly-educated blacks who grew up in suitable environments than those who didn't. Compare this to a white person growing-up in an area which despises education.

Intelligence isn't the main factor in the statistics we've seen, it's level of education. These are nothing alike.

>> No.2392630

>>2392618
Differs from school to school. My primary school had 16 people in one class. Secondary school: 20 students. High school: 15 - 25 students.

>> No.2392636

IB fag here

It's the best out there I suppose...

I was able to take 4 years of physics and chemistry and 2 years of calculus.

I probably did more work in those 4 years of high school than I did in real college. Given the choice over, there's no way I would settle for dumb fuck regular classes. No wonder the world holds a judgmental attitude over Americans because you really don't know shit if that is all that you limit yourself to.

>> No.2392640

>>2392626
But if I can't be proud of my skin color I've got nothing to be proud of.

>> No.2392650

>>2392618
Yes, but 3 teachers till teach one class together rather than 1 by themself.

>> No.2392651

>>2392640

And this is where dumb-fuck amerifags fall down.

How about you be proud of your achievements? Your level of education? Your athletic ability?

No, you just want to be a lazy fuck who's proud of his genetics, something that was a total accident and requires no exertion on your part to achieve.

Why the fuck is having brown skin something to be proud of? What makes it any better than any other colour?

Fucktard.

>> No.2392655

>>2392636
Whats the point of IB compared to AP? AP gets you out of stupid intro courses, what does IB do?

>> No.2392656

Where did you hear this? He already said it's not true, bro.

>> No.2392660

>>2392651
don't get too angry, It was meant as satire.

It's truth, but a real racist would never openly state their own failure in such a succinct manner.

>> No.2392665

Totally different qualification that's recognised around the world.

It's considered a lot more advanced than most AP courses - a lot of it is first-year college work in the US, but is considered normal for your final 2 years of high school in most other western countries.

>> No.2392670

>>2392665

Forgot to link. This was a reply to:

>> No.2392673

>>2392650
I don't quite get you.
3 teachers at the same time? Because no, that doesn't happen. Different subjects naturally have different teachers, tho.

>> No.2392677

>>2392650
It's not true, bro. Most classes in most schools have only 1 teacher.

>> No.2392681

I remember my old English teacher (from USA) mentioning something about high context and low context learning. She said Americans like to ask a lot of questions while Finns mostly remain silent in class, thinking about the problem and possibly looking for the answers themselves. I'm not saying that either way is better, but I imagine if Americans like to learn by asking and if the teacher can't answer the question, there's a problem. I can imagine a christfag asking a biology teacher some specific question about evolution and the teacher who is just teaching what's in the study book not being able to answer it.

>> No.2392682

>>2392673

He may have misunderstood that the same class may have 3 teachers, but they all teach at different times in the week.

>> No.2392685

>>2392033
DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/DEATH TO /NEW/

>> No.2392686

>>2392673
http://www.recorderonline.com/articles/finland-46744-dropout-rate.html

"All of Finland’s teachers are required to have a Master’s Degree. They have up to three teachers per classroom. Two provide instruction while the other one works with struggling students."

>> No.2392693

>>2392623
I don't even know. I am worried for the rest of the world, to be honest.

>> No.2392695

>>2392673
Not in primary school, and that's pretty awesome. I mean, I had the same teacher teach me everything from math to PE from grade 1 to 6. Only art, music and life science (as opposed to religion) were taught by other teachers.

In primary school, teachers know their students well so it's easy to attend to their problems.

How do amerifags feel about this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

>> No.2392697
File: 47 KB, 540x393, 170716713.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2392698

>>2392693

It's been shown that a laid-back approach to teaching actually works better, because it motivates the students to work for themselves to achieve.

>> No.2392702

>>2392655

Depending how far along the school is, IB offers way more stuff than AP. It's an entire curriculum so at the end of your senior year you take a bunch of exams to see if you get the diploma or not. It's recognized world wide or some shit but it beefs your transcript up to the max on top of taking AP classes.

Some colleges accept it as credits so I was able to skip all the bullshit undergrad stuff and jump straight into the courses I was actually interested in. Instead of wasting 4 years I did it in half the time thanks to IB.

Of course, it's only as good as the teachers you have but you will run into that anywhere.

>> No.2392711

>>2392702

Now I understand why American degrees aren't valued for shit unless they're a top school. You're seriously saying their undergrad degrees are A-Level standard (about the same as IB)?

>> No.2392716

>>2392033

I'm talking on behalf of my HS teacher here but he says that in the US students aren't tied with a curriculum. Is that true? He also says that you end up taking most HS classes in college which is true.

So there you go an advantage and a disadvantage.

>> No.2392734

>>2392711

1. Not really. Though they DO waste a year and a half doing shit we learn at A-Level.

2. It only applies to the average students. Promising students get into accelerated courses that get them in University a year or two ahead of their peers and so on and so forth.

So when we say American education sucks, that only applies to the average kids. Wealthy and promising kids might even have better education than wealthy or talented European kids.

>> No.2392741

>>2392698
Already been heard of. In order to recieve tenure you have to become a lazy teacher because it forces students to teach themselves hard concepts and develop critical thinking.

The problem with that is.........only maybe 1 out of every 20 students will develop that critical thinking while the other 19 learn nothing

>> No.2392756

>>2392686
In problem classes maybe. I've never had more than one. Nor has any of my friends. Haven't even heard of that.

>> No.2392774

Which is more important: educating the masses or educating the ones that actually care and do something with their degrees?

I hear amerifags get degrees that aren't good for anything. They get it just for the sake of getting it. Why not adopt the European system of high school and vocational school? It might actually help with racial differences as well.

>> No.2392775

>>2392711

My general impression is that most college classes go like this...

>Show up first day
>Don't go to class
>Sit for exams

In high school, you sort of have to go everyday and have a bunch of classes everyday. I wouldn't go as far to say the material IB offers is more challenging than all undergrad stuff; however, depending on your major you would never take higher science or math electives if you didn't need them to graduate.

Also, the amount of IB homework and busy work shit trumps almost everything I did in undergrad. You can literally go through all 4 years and not learn anything if you just cram and forget. Some people equate passing classes to learning and if you master the art of multiple choice exams, college is just a game.

But yea, if you are seeking an educational challenge it's best to go to top tier places for graduate school. I saved a lot of money getting my bachelor's degree at a shit institution instead. It's sort of a rip off to go to those places for your first 4 years anyway because class size is huge and the material you learn is no different elsewhere.

>> No.2392785
File: 53 KB, 640x480, Laughing Girls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392775

You guys seriously have multiple-choice tests at university?

>> No.2392791

>>2392774

Couldn't agree more.

So many people go to college for the wrong reasons. Sure, you like studying something but is there a job market for it?

A lot of people could benefit from learning a trade or just doing something through high school so you don't become another talentless unemployed citizen upon graduating. For all the time wasted there, I'm sure a route like that would be a perfect fit for many but there is no cure for laziness.

>> No.2392792

>>2392775
I get the feeling that because the US system is so un-fixed with the courses one must take, most people take the easiest classes, learn nothing much and then pretend to themselves that they have recieved an education?

>> No.2392795

>>2392791
>there is no cure for laziness.

Hunger works wonders. Not that I'm a pro-hunger Randian type or anything. Just sayin.

>> No.2392820

>>2392785

It's the easiest way for professors to get their other work done.

>Powerpoint Notes
>Machine grades exams

It's like they do nothing at all!

You mostly get that with the shitty courses which are general requirements.

>> No.2392831

>>2392820

And I'm expected to believe these are the best universities in the world? What the fuck is this shit?

We need a reliable undergraduate table to reveal quite how terrible these places are.

>> No.2392843

>>2392795
Raise food prices and start giving out food coupons for those who succeed academically and manage to get a job?

>> No.2392847

>>2392843
we already do that, but then we take a percentage of those food coupons back and give them to those that fail, so they don't starve.

then we take a larger percentage and use them to kill people in other lands... just because.

>> No.2392850

>>2392792
>pretend to themselves that they have recieved an education?

Yup, this is why world leaders know what's best.

More often than not, people will just drop names to get a job or make themselves look more important. If the employer does their due diligence they can hopefully see past those sort of things and find the person who will actually show up to work on time, etc.

>>2392831

Because undergrad is retarded.

I think people get so caught up in name dropping they don't even ask what the classes are like or what really goes on inside of them.

While I learned more from reading Genetics books myself (beef up my own knowledge on the subject) our professor posted podcasts for all the lectures. Since the exams were based on that content you never had to show up but if you actually learned the subject it was piss easy.

>> No.2392853

>>2392843

Way to make inequality even worse.

"Let's subsidize those who don't need it!"

>> No.2392857

>>2392850
>If the employer does their due diligence they can hopefully see past those sort of things

employers don't respect employees, we respect competitors. Colleges mostly produce employees.

>> No.2392864
File: 14 KB, 150x226, 1294949061189.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392847
I wonder what happened if 'merica stopped using so much money on military and redirected it to education. The system would either become better-- or just a seriously expensive failure.

>> No.2392865

>>2392850

Well that just shows that that course was piss easy then.

America is King when it comes to grad-school, but before then it rides on its reputation. I don't see how somewhere that teaches me 2 years of stuff I learnt at A-Level, then 2 years of stuff at a slow pace, could possibly be better than somewhere that teaches me 3 years of new material at an intensive pace.

>> No.2392867

If americans were better educated, more people would know how fucked the entirety of america is.

>> No.2392868

>>2392864
the military drives our science and technological innovation. Throwing money at the 95% who won't benefit from further education at the expense of the machine that needs educated people seems counterproductive.

our fear drives us to great and terrible things, don't rob us of it.

>> No.2392875

If there are ways to coast through life without working, you bet your ass we will find a way.

That is the American Dream.

>> No.2392883

>>2392868
In the past few years we've thrown a large ammount of money at the education system, grades and test scores haven't gone up, so its not that the militarys sucking the school system dry

>> No.2392886
File: 18 KB, 379x214, im ok with this.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392868
>our fear drives us to great and terrible things, don't rob us of it.

>> No.2392897

>>2392868
That's the point. Science and innovations shouldn't ride in the back of military. Education shouldn't be something that 95% take for the sake of nothing.

Europe has vocational schools, why the hell not America as well? Less shitty and useless college degrees, more people who can actually work in a specific field like auto mechanics.

IMHO, America needs a big change in stead of small adjustments.

>> No.2392898

School should be optional after middle school for Americans. If someone doesn't want to be there, and their presence only slows the class down(This applies to 2/3rds of people in my classes) then they shouldn't be there. Let the teacher focus on the kids who want to learn.

Also, somebody already said this already but past elementary/ primary school, a teacher should have a master's degree in the subject they teach.

And finally, classes should be more flexible. Where I live, one has to take math, science, history, and english in order to pass, which is stupid. If taking math classes all day is going to benefit you in the long-run, why is that a problem?

>> No.2392903

>>2392883
True. You folks should realize that it's not always about money alone.

>> No.2392906

>>2392897
We have tons of vocational schools, but they aren't that popular since you can easily learn most trades on the job and get paid while you're learning instead of paying to learn.

that's all really, school isn't necessary for most trades, or if it is, the employer will generally provide it.

>> No.2392913

>>2392898

This is the difference between Europeans and Americans. Americans teach breadth, whereas Europeans teach depth. There are merits to both, but it seems ridiculous going to university and still having to learn things other than what you want to specialise in - I thought that was what university was for, and not to be extended high-school.

>> No.2392915

>>2392906
Understandable. It'd be different if tuition was free. Spend three years at a free school, learning IT stuff, practical nursing, catering etc. and then start work full time.

It's valued and works and takes as long as high school.

What percentage of kids actually go through high school?

>> No.2392916

>>2392906
The closest vocational school for me was 30 minutes away.

>> No.2392917

>>2392915
My vocational school was free

>> No.2392922

Those who are tired of wondering what is wrong with the system: let's take a different standpoint. What's good with American schools? What conclusions should we draw from this?

>> No.2392924

>>2392922
Integration. They are designed to be able to educate anyone. You could take a 30 year old Zulu tribesman with no knowledge of English or any formal education, and pass him through the school system.

>> No.2392926

The reason why Calculus is limited to AP classes is because a lot of high schools out there can't get there kids past Algebra 1. Little students get to Algebra 2/Trigonometry. Can you imagine trying to implement something 20x harder than Algebra 1 like Calculus into the basic curriculum? The principal or head of the math department in the high school can do what ever they want to such as implementing Calculus into the basic curriculum but the graduation rate will go from low to abysmal.
Science will get dragged with Mathematics because higher level sciences such as Chemistry and Physics incorporate a lot of Math. It is pretty much an unwritten pre-requisite to pass Alg2/Trig with a decent grade to be able to pass Physics. And since the schools that even offer Alg2/trig at all have a very poor pass rate in that class. Higher level sciences will be difficult to implement outside of AP.
Tl:DR High schools don't want to introduce Calc outside of AP because the Graduation Rate will suffer.

To fix it, introduce Algebra 1 at the 2nd semester of 7th grade. Go more in depth with Alg 1 in 8th and at the end of 8th grade take whatever the test is in that country to get a high school credit in Algebra 1. Have them take 10th grade math at 9th. Algebra2/Trig in 10th and if needed in 11th. 11th grade or 12th grade calculus.
Of course, most of America fails at math so this would be difficult to do. Also, run schools like an absolute dictatorship. No hugging/kissing in the hallways. 3 lates = suspended etc. etc.

>> No.2392932

>>2392926
typo. meant to write state instead of country.

>> No.2392936

The thing about the USA is that we are a very very diverse people

You get vastly different people from state to state and county to county

If anyone stereotypes us as one people then they don't know anything about us

For example compare Massachusetts kids against Texans

I promise you the kids from Massachusetts will make the Texans look like retards

Hell even in my home state of Virgina we have good education compared to the rest of the country

>> No.2392938

>>2392936
Also I left the public school system to teach myself everything

Im doing pretty damn well for myself

>> No.2392941

>>2392926
In my county, we had the option of taking algebra 1 in the 6th grade, depending upon circumstances.
Most students would take prealgebra in the 7th grade and algebra 1 in the 8th. The slower ones started prealgebra in the 8th grade.

Although I hear they changed the classes to algebra 1 part 1 and part 2

>> No.2392950

in my country we teach calculus at 11th grade, and that just works well.

>> No.2392952

>>2392924
Agreed. If you tried to take a system from Europe, say Finland, no one would learn anything.

However, I think dealing with those 30 year old Zulu tribesmen and 17 year old white middle-class kids holds the better ones back. Perhaps it's financially uneffective as well?

What'd happen if students were divided into classes based on their abilities?

>> No.2392957

>>2392941
Here, more and more kids are taking Algebra 1(typically taken in the 9th grade) in the 8th grade. then when those kids get to 9th they take Geometry(10th grade) so on and so on.
Also, Algebra 1 in 6th grade? That child is pretty gifted.
Actually, here if a kid is really gifted he can take the regents(final) in Alg2/Trig and if he/she passed with 85 or higher they don't have to take it in high school. This also applies with all subjects besides science since the science courses here require a once a week class were they do lab work to be allowed to take the final in that science course.

>> No.2392961

>>2392950
what country sir?

>> No.2392966

Enlighten a eurofag. What is this "science class" you go to in hs?

>> No.2392970

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Religious_Belief_in_USA-states.png

also see there is a variation in religious belief here

>> No.2392973

>>2392961

We do it in the UK. Hyperbolic trig and matrices are a couple of things in 12th grade.

>> No.2392977

>>2392966
Every state has their own twist to their curriculum. In this state it goes...
9th Grade-Living Environment(Biology).
10th Grade-Earth Science
11th Grade-Chemistry
12th Grade-Physics
11th and 12 Graders can enroll in AP courses if that HS offers it instead of Chem and Physics. Such as AP Physics B or C, Psychology, Biology, etc.

>> No.2392987

>>2392977
Thanks, that is enlightening.

What if someone wants to take additional biology courses (for example)? Not possible?

>> No.2392996

>>2392973
That's pretty good. Amerifag a bit jelly.
Here college level courses in High School(secondary) for math are: Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics. And the schools that offer these courses are fewer and fewer each year.

>> No.2393016

We have 18 to 21 maths modules (think of each one as a course) that you can do, depending on which exam board you do: Core 1 to 4, Further Pure 1 to 3, Statistics 1 to 4, Mechanics 1 to 4, Decision 1 and 2 (it's algorithms, logistics etc.). There are others that vary depending on the board, but that's the basic set.

Saying that, a full maths A-Level only requires the 4 core modules plus 2 applied ones (stats, mechanics or decision), but you can get up to 3 A-Levels in it if you're some sort of genius.

>> No.2393021

>>2392987
>>2392987

At my high school, one could take three biology courses, two anatomy, three chemistry (two of them advanced), and three physics (two advanced).

I was going to be one of the first students to take the second advanced physics class... :(

>> No.2393028

>>2393016

was in reply to

>>2392996

>> No.2393032

>>2392987
Huh?
Well as long as you take one physical science(such as Earth Science) and a life science(like biology) you can take any science courses you want :P, as long as the school offers it and allows you to take it)

>> No.2393033

>>2393016
MEI
DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
SHIT YEAH

>> No.2393036

>>2393033

Edexcel
Mechanics 5

fml.

>> No.2393037

>>2392051
Michigander here. Canada is right, we're full retards.

>> No.2393102

>>2393032
>>2393021
Alright. That's better than what I thought. So why is it called "science"? Why not just call each course by the name of it's subject? No such thing as science lessons, only obligatory biology, physics etc. and additional courses for those? What's the point?

>> No.2393122
File: 31 KB, 526x300, 1294273680812.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2393102
*its

>> No.2394056

>>2392130
holy crap, that's the most ridiculous shit i've ever heard.