[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 500x518, sfchart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2390797 No.2390797 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/

I found this chart on the internet and I am confused. There's something wrong here, right?

>> No.2390820

What exactly is it supposed to mean by "Pro-Hard-Science"? And why doesn't "Right-Wing" have a scale to it?

>> No.2390821

>>2390797
Definitely. The units aren't labeled.

>> No.2390826

Probably. But first. Label the fucking axes, whoever made this.

>> No.2390834

shouldn't it be political orientation on the x axis and hardness of science, or whatever, on the y with an indication of what higher and lower meant on each? is this chart readable the way it is?

>> No.2390841

"Right wing" vs. "Left wing" is an oversimplification with respect to modern politics. It's a *ridiculous* oversimplification with respect to idealized or hypothetical future societies. At minimum you'd need to distinguish between libertarian and authoritarian as well as left and right.

>> No.2390881

>>2390841
(cont.) All the more so since a libertarian approach to the future allows for the coexistence of different economies and types of societies at different locations. I've never been much of an adherent of "social contract theory" but it makes sense for space colonies and space stations. "If you don't agree to abide by our economic system and the rules of our governance, don't come to our station."

>> No.2390891
File: 37 KB, 274x280, LOL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2390797
>DICK

>> No.2390931

by what standards is Asimov even remotely right-wing? He was a Democrat, was pro-nuclear energy, believed in POPULATION CONTROL, supported the feminist movement, supported gay rights, and wrote books on environmentalism and global warming.

also: the only thing about Heinlein that ever really became right-wing was his military view. the guy was progressive DECADES ahead of his time.

>> No.2390944

>>2390797
this chart is in regards to hard science in science fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction

I'm surprised there's a correlation but this kind of thing isn't something that is cause for concern.

As you may imagine, none of these authors are anti-intellectuals or anything like that.

>> No.2390960

>>2390944
except that there is no correlation. someone just made a half-assed dot graph without even bothering to use more believable stats

>> No.2390971

>>2390881
That's a matter of property rights, not social contracts. If you go onto somebody's property on Earth they can demand that you behave in a certain way, or else you will be evicted; it would be the same in space. E.g., if you go to the Google space station you must wear a red, green, and yellow space suit.