[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 740x308, purity.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2382152 No.2382152 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/ im looking for advice
what kind of jobs does being a math major prepare you for
im doing shit like linear algebra, vector calculus, group theory, seqeuntial analysis.....
I intend on going to grad school with it.
help me please

>> No.2382159

bump

>> No.2382176

bumpppp

>> No.2382186

/sci/ is a much slower board than /b/, you don't need to bump so much.

>> No.2382189

Aside from becoming a professor?

Quantitative analysis on Wall Street, all sorts of corporate number-crunching job.

Me, I plan to ride the tenure train to glory.

>> No.2382197

lol math needs blind faith
wheres ur god now sci???

>> No.2382207

they teach me a lot of proofs, what kind of profession needs mathematic proof?

>> No.2382214

>>2382207

No real jobs do.

Tons of real jobs need problem-solving skills.

Why not just work hard to become well-rounded and good at figuring stuff out, and let the rest sort itself out?

>> No.2382237

>>2382214
> and let god sort them out?
fix'd

>> No.2382983

>>2382237

What he means is that there are limits to what we imagine we can design.

You can't control everything with mathematics as much as you'd like. Imagine building a mathematical model for everything, structuring everything, trying to plan it out. What would your mathematical model be built on? Assumptions? You can't possibly test everything out so you can't be sure all your assumptions are true. Therefore you fix problems as they come.

There are people who study science and get technical jobs at companies where they get paid a lot. But then there are people above them who manage and hire (and fire them if they don't do what they want) who are more well rounded, who have not only problem solving skills analytically but problem solving skills when it comes to people who rely on other people to do other things for them that they can't do. I'm talking about well-rounded people.