[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 67 KB, 501x350, 1290141767496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2380847 No.2380847 [Reply] [Original]

I have been taking some general courses at community college and next semester I will be going to a state school to pursue a degree in engineering. The problem is that I am not sure what kind of engineering I want to go into, I am only sure that I want to be an engineer.

The school has a great aerospace program, but that may be too difficult for me. I don't know if I'll want to go into civil though, since that may be too easy.

Please help!

>> No.2380869

Do they not have a general year?

>> No.2380893

>civil

100% of the civil engineers I have met were flaming morons that, if they were lucky, could barely do basic arithmetic without a calculator to aid them, so I would suspect that a good chunk of the field is the bottom of the barrel engineers.

Go for something like electrical engineering. From my experience, electrical engineers actually have an understanding of what they are working on. May be true for aerospace, but I have only met 1 or 2 aerospace engineers that had or were pursuing aerospace degrees [most had physics degrees].

>> No.2380952

You might want to look into mechanical engineering. Since aerospace engineering is essentially a specialized subfield of mechanical, you could very easily still go into that field with a mechE degree. You'll also have the ability to go into civil engineering if you decide that's more interesting to you because you'll learn some basics of mechanics of materials (you'd still need to learn about soils/geology and shit at some point though). Alternatively, if you find you like electrical engineering (you'll almost certainly have an "electrical engineering for non-electrical engineers" course), you can somewhat easily switch to that midway through since you'll have basic circuit knowledge.

Essentially mechanical engineering is a good "I don't really know what I want to do" major because it's pretty broad.

>> No.2380956

what the hell, civil engineers? don't you guys have to do heat transfer and fluid dynamics and all that jazz? you have to use a shitload of calculus, right?

what's with all the math retarded civils?

>> No.2380983

OP you are good at maths and physics right? If not you will struggle, though many courses do have remedial classes for those without any maths background.

>> No.2381014

>>2380983

Yes I'm great at math. My only problem is my poor ability to remember things, which would be remedied by spending more studying.

>> No.2381370

>>2380956
civil engineers aren't as retarded as everyone always says, it's just a stereotype