[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 26 KB, 295x445, rogood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2314583 No.2314583 [Reply] [Original]

Here's an add I found.

Entry Level PhD Quant Trader - Signal Processing, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics $250-350k LA/NY/Chicago

The ideal candidate will have the following credentials;
Superb academic credentials demonstrated by attending a tier 1 University and winning academic awards such as Olympiads.
PhD in a hard quantitative subject particularly;
PhD Signal Processing, Time Series Analysis
PhD Operations Research
PhD Computer Science, Engineering
PhD Statistics, Data Mining, Mathematics
PhD Operations Research
PhD Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence
Commercial experience/internships gained in
Research - experience of working with large datasets, data mining, analysing signals from large data sets)
Technology ? real time systems architecture, design and development, object oriented design/programming in Java/C++, scripting experience (Perl, Python, Ruby), experience of using Matlab, R, STL, Boost
Finance - statistical arbitrage research and trading, front office algorithmic trading
Entrepreneurial ventures ? technology start ups, algorithmic trading ventures, open source contributions, online games
A process driven approach to problem solving
Intellectual curiosity in quantitative finance
Ambitious, self motivated and strong communication skills

>> No.2314591

>>2314583

>tier 1 University and winning academic awards such as Olympiads.

They need an autistic savant with a Phd.

>> No.2314596

>>2314583
Them's are some hefty requirements. Are they looking for Rain Man?

>> No.2314599

>>2314591
>>2314596
Savantmind.

>> No.2314604

>ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

>> No.2314613

>Ambitious, self motivated and strong communication skills
AHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.2314616

>>2314583

>Entry Level PhD Quant Trader
>Entry level

250-350k starting

jesus fucking christ, that's not bad at all

But having a Phd isn't enough, you gotta be from stanford and have 200+IQ

>> No.2314625

In an ideal world, this job wouldn't even exist. Using math to screw people over is not /sci/ approved.

We're the good guys, not the pawns of corporate lawyers.

>> No.2314641

>>2314616
You've also got to have done everything there is to do and learned everything there is to learn, apparently by the age of 25 or so. Do companies not expect to offer training there days?

>> No.2314655
File: 14 KB, 250x238, ozyman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

basically they want a charismatic evil genius

>> No.2314674

>entry level 250k-350k
Sounds awesome!
>PhD
>Commercial experience/interships
>shitload of research experience
>shitload of computer languages and experience
>tier 1 university
Jesus fuck, learning all that computer shit would take at least a part time year or a full time 3 or 4 months. And a fresh PhD with all that experience and an internship doesn't have the time to learn all those languages unless he literally just eats, sleeps, shits, and learns.

>> No.2314705

I think a lot of people misunderstand the term "tier 1 university."

It doesn't mean an Ivy League school, just a decent, well funded research university.

>> No.2314710

math/chem major wasting his time being a pawn of academia doing literally SHIT in a fucking stupid lab and learning nothing of value, would try this just for fun

going for phd in data mining/numerical analysis, CHECK
commercial experience LOLWUT I LIVE IN A LAB
research FUCK
programming I SUCK AT THIS BUT I DO IT A LOT SO OKAY
finance-
others-
tier 1 university CHECK
olympiads FUCK U CRAZY NIGGA

conclusion: only 50 people like this exist IRL in the US, and half of them are college professors

>> No.2314722

>>2314655
Seriously, this is like a checklist for evil-doers.

>> No.2314727

>>2314625
True. To do all this and still have to take orders from some Ivy League law faggot would be the end of me.

>> No.2314741

>>2314583
>>2314583

this still isn't an "entry level" job. at least not in the traditional sense. this is more like some brainiac on his third career reentering the job force in some newly created position. the job poster is fishing, just putting it out there to see what they can get. the candidate they're looking for doesn't exist. i don't know if they will fill the position, or if it even exists, but if they do fill it I doubt it will be filled by someone fresh out of school.
those ads make me sick. when I was looking for work there's nothing like finding an ad that says they want someone fresh out of school with 10 years of working experience at 5 different careers. i think it's some sort of HR joke. they get together at seminars and brag about making up the most ridiculous jobs and then laughing at who has the balls to send in a resume. it's like "HR For Schmucks".

>> No.2314742

>>2314710

Yeah, the only thing that threw me for a loop was the Olympiad part. I guess being able to solve math puzzles would help, but I doubt those Olympiads would be interested in finance since it doesn't garner much fame in mathematics. If anything, they'll do it for the money.

>> No.2314754

>>2314641

Business owner here

Very few of us are willing to train people to work for us. The way we see it, it's easier for us to find the needle in the haystack than it is for us to take someone on who might not know what they're doing and still have to pay them until they learn. It makes for lower productivity and a higher chance of having to fire someone, which takes a LOT of paperwork and tax shit.

NOTE: I don't do this because my business consists of me and my friends having fun and making money through internet advertising and merchandise. Never had to hire/fire anyone, although I have suspended w/o pay before. I personally think it's a scumbag tactic, but I do hang out with other business owners, (for what I think are REAL businesses), and they tell me stuff like this.

>> No.2314884

50 years ago, the space program was looking for guys like this. Today, Wall Street looks for them. My, how times have changed...

>> No.2314928

>>2314583

Thing is, these guys won't even add any value to the economy or society or science. They just get really clever at moving money around.

If anything, they just contribute to further crises.

>> No.2315001

>>2314754
oh I get it. I worked for the big 3 and they were the only ones I've ever worked for with the resources to train people. on a production line where seconds mean thousands of dollars training can be expensive. it wouldn't be surprising to hear that it costs the company 100K to train a supervisor, not including salary.
i know how it's cheaper to hire a retiree on contract for $30/hr than train a new employee for $20. no benefits means anywhere from like $7/hr to $17/hr.
it's just that it's all going to come crashing down on employers when there's no more skilled mid-upper level management. they just haven't been training nay to fill these jobs the baby boomers have been sucking dry for the last 10 years. maybe the slow down in the economy will alleviate this, somehow I doubt it.
in any event it just means a lot of us x-gen are going to have to work a little bit longer before we retire. if we're lucky. when the crunch comes and they do have to train people they're going to train the younger ones. it friggin sucks.
anyways, just me ranting because I know what this job posting really is and what it represents. i've seen quite a few posts in this forum and for some reason I get the distinct feeling people are being mislead. while i love science and even have a Physics degree it doesn't mean jack shit in the real world. unless you get a math or physics degree from MIT or some ivy league school be prepared to get shit on unless you get a minimum of a Masters and don't expect to make more than 80K even with a PhD.
/rant

>> No.2315058

>>2315001

Exactly why I dropped out and started business. Sure my income is fluid based on how well we do, I live in an apartment instead of a house, but I still make over $100k consistently and can afford to give my friends comfortable lives.

What really depresses me is when I go shopping or out into public in general and I see all these people who have no idea how fucked they're going to be in the next 10-20 years or so, and won't even listen to me try to help them because, in their eyes, I am "The Man" who is ruining the country and keeping them down.

The Man did a very good job at brainwashing a lot of people, I'll give him that.

>> No.2315093

>>2315058
>I see all these people who have no idea how fucked they're going to be in the next 10-20 years or so,

In what sense? Are we talking about Peak Oil here?

>> No.2315108

Fucking idiot. Jim Simons's Renaissance Technologies, the best HFT hedge fund out there offers only $125,000 - $250,000 (oh, and plus the bonus):

https://www.renfund.com/vm/data_programming.vm

Also, Winton here in the UK offers around the same amount. What kind of fucking company ad is that?

>> No.2315148

>>2315093

no we're talking about the economy and the job market. these 100K a year jobs that last for 20 years then pension out aren't there any more, nor are there properly groomed candidates to fill the jobs that do emerge in this new "green energy" economy.
I'm 35, have a B.Sc and just finished another technical diploma because I couldn't find steady work. Every time I did it was downsized or I was laid off. Then it was contract work. Pays the bills but it isn't much of a future. I've got nothing towards retirement.
I'm not alone. Most of my friends don't own houses yet, are scraping by or going back to school to retrain.
By comparison most of our parents had 15 years into a pension and had paid off 10 years on a 25 year mortgage by this point.
The boomers working longer and the friggin housing collapse you know they orchestrated (hehe) has basically delayed the rest of the working populace 10 years or so.
Things need to be back on track right now to kinda smooth things out so the next big wave, the boomers kids, can start earning and saving for their retirement in 20-30 years.
Since it isn't, you can bet in 15-20 years people are going to get panicky.Hope you get lucky or inherit a small fortune :)

>> No.2315276

the company is called

MAVEN ALPHA

>> No.2315282

>>2315276

correction the Head hunter is MAVEN ALPHA

the actual company is confidential

>> No.2315404

>>2315058

What kind of business do you own and what do you do with your physics degree?