[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.20 MB, 2650x2500, 377-260208-2149-6-co-01-HebesChasma_H1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2294761 No.2294761 [Reply] [Original]

Gentlemen, I'll make it short. If we put people on mars, where do you postulate we'll put them, and when do you see us doing it? I'm writing a fiction novel and want a semi accurate location of where a possible human settlement would occur. My current guess is within a few hundred miles of the ice cap, because as I've been led to believe, there is frozen water under all that frozen carbon dioxide.

>> No.2294766
File: 62 KB, 1278x780, 15minMarsPhobosdrawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is frozen water in other places on Mars, just under the sand/rock.

Tharsis Montes? Possible metal-rich area with geothermal vents and some nearby water ice deposits.

>> No.2294774

1. scan martian surface for area with probable diamond deposits
2. Land there, mind inter-planetary diamonds
3. Flood earth market with said diamonds
4. Pay off mars trip while also ending african diamond wars by flood of diamonds making them near worthless while also helping technology that is reliant/made better with the use of industrial diamonds.
5. Fuck yeah, look at me solving all our problems.

>> No.2294785

Depends OP, are you talking about the traditional compartmentalized living that we like to picture in Mars? Or the beginnings of some kind of actual colonization/terraforming? Granted you're somewhat familiar with the topology apparently, but I would posit that a canyon would make sense for living conditions. (Moreso than a "domed city" style settlement would.)

Just cover that bitch, put airlocks in any crevices/caverns, and begin terraforming on a small scale. And it absolutely makes sense that, like you said, they'd look toward the poles with an assumption there would be even more laden with ice.

>> No.2294786

>>2294766
I'll have to research that area, Though from your post it sounds like a good enough lead and start for my book.

>> No.2294806

>>2294785
It would have to start compartmentalized of course, but the plan is to have several ships, with tools for drilling and excavating, as well as refining ores. Other ships would have factories with advanced robotics systems that can craft the needed construction material for larger structures than the prefabbed ones that they will start with.

>> No.2294815

what are you naming your book? might wanna read it if it gets published.

Or whats the authors name so I can look it up later

>> No.2295090

>>2294815
Titles are always a bit tricky for me, and I'm just starting the book. I haven't even outlined the thing in its entirety, though I have made progress in some of the major characters and what I want for the plot in general.

In truth, the book will only take place on Mars part time, its main focus will be in northern America and England after some catastrophic nuclear conflicts in the late 21st century. I'm trying to make a mix of George Martin's gritty, epic plots from His Song of Ice and Fire series, a sprinkle of the movie Pandorum; to be fair, the only concept from it so far is the fact that the people sent to Mars got sent right before the shit hit the fan on Earth. Those mixed with some realistic projections in so far as 22st technology is concerned. That being said, It will probably be highly inaccurate, and confined to technologies I deem appropriate for the story line. The thing about tricky exotic technologies in story telling, is they make easy fodder for careful scrutiny, and often plot holes are made because the technology was never conceptualized in its totality of capabilities by the author.

The part on Mars will be at some point tie into the plot on earth, but it will require careful consideration and weaving, so as for now, I suppose it is a stand alone plot. But that being said, I have not been confident enough to address that part of the series yet, as my knowledge of the planet is rather lacking. I've been reading up on geographic features, as well as atmospheric properties as of late, and I'm having difficulty coming up with the science of how we would land large ships full of people. From what I understand, Retrorockets parachutes and giant balloons have been the preferred method used by NASA in its short tenure on Mars' surface.

>> No.2295095

Drill holes into center of mars (we should have the technology to do that by the time we're ready to teraform) drop in nukes to restart the core, BOOM mars has a magnetic field again and we can start working on the atmosphere, drop a few nukes on the icecaps to rapidly melt the CO2 and oxygen and BOOM the beginings of an atmosphere

>> No.2295101

>>2295090
>continued
If you'd like, I can share a chapter at some point, but as of now I'm just getting back into writing, and my writing is lacking the energy needed to bring the story to life. When I do it some justice, I'll be back to share.

But literature aside, (I actually went to /lit/ once and left feeling rather unrefined and childish. Hopefully those judgmental assholes stay away from this thread, I can already imagine the grief I'd get. God forbid I try something new like writing and sound Naive in front of those "connoisseurs") A Mars topic is as good a topic as any for discussion, so If anyone has wishes to continue the topic, please continue this thread. I will come in from time to time to see if any progress has been made and interject in any discussion that sound interesting. It shouldn't be hard, I truly love the topic of outer space, though as of late, I’ve been rather out of the loop about what exactly has been happening with the mars rovers.

anyways, hopefully that all made sense, I tend to talk and write gibberish when I'm tired, and I didn't get much sleep last night.

>> No.2295117

>>2295095
wasn't that in a movie? And how exactly does a nuke help restart a bunch of liquid Iron and nickel? I am rather naive on the physics of a nuclear weapon, outside of the general things like blast radius, and the effects on the human body. (I love reading military survival guides, call me nuts.)

>> No.2295124

>>2295117
woops i forgot to finish my train of thought.

Do you propose nukes would just act on the core via convection? (I think I'm using the right term, again, I'm more skilled at English and social sciences, the hard sciences for the most part evade my mental grasp.)