[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 92 KB, 450x600, Kinski - 03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2272386 No.2272386 [Reply] [Original]

To all evolution and global warming deniers.

Do you really think that virtually any argument you offer in threads -that you believe to be proof of your position- would actually trump entire fields of scientific inquiry?

Do you really think that a generalised rhetorical argument or unsupported shred of evidence is equitable to literally millions of man-years of intellectual endeavour and observation?

So why bother and reveal you understand nothing about how science is conducted?

>> No.2272400

>>Do you really think that virtually any argument you offer in threads -that you believe to be proof of your position- would actually trump entire fields of scientific inquiry?

Yes there exist people who think that their own layman's rationale, or an anecdote, or a play on words/semantics game trumps entire fields of science.

Cope with it like I did, start drinking and don't ever stop.

>> No.2272412

>>2272386
>evolution
Because Jesus
>global warming
Because conservatives

>> No.2272439

Yes, I can believe that my personal opinions are better than a niche field filled with quacks and pseudoscientists. Evolutionary biology and climatology are not such ridiculous fields, but I can buy into the basic premise that a random internet argument could trump an entire field of scientific inquiry.
Also where's your source on "literally millions of man-years"

>> No.2272444

>implying there are any climatologists who are not also political activists support global warming claims.

>> No.2272448
File: 64 KB, 600x750, 1290327630544.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2272439
>I can buy into the basic premise that a random internet argument could trump an entire field of scientific inquiry

>> No.2272451

>>2272444
>implying global warming denial isn't politically motivated

>> No.2272457 [DELETED] 

>>2272386
The average person does not think logically. This is very very troublesome to me.

It's simple to find this out: Argue with a normal person about something unimportant for at least 10 minutes. While sometimes their starting assumptions are wrong, that's not what I want you to take notice of. Look at the leaps they make.

They're absolutely horrid. How anyone can mess up a line or reasoning by misunderstanding THE CONNECTION BETWEEN TWO STEPS is beyond me.

>> No.2272463

>>2272444

>implying there are any climatologists who are not also political activists support global warming claims.

You really believe this? It's not the scientists politicizing the issue, it's religious conservatives, who you've decided to believe instead.

>> No.2272466

>>2272457
>deleted for error correction
The average person does not think logically. This is very very troublesome to me.

It's simple to find this out: Argue with a normal person about something unimportant for at least 10 minutes. While sometimes their starting assumptions are wrong, that's not what I want you to take notice of. Look at the leaps they make.

They're absolutely horrid. How anyone can mess up a line of reasoning by misunderstanding THE CONNECTION BETWEEN TWO STEPS is beyond me.

>> No.2272482

>>2272463
It's not the conservatives who started the IPCC, moron.
inb4 the IPCC is a scientific organization.

>> No.2272505

>>2272463
I don't believe anyone. I believe facts and hypotheses that are well-supported by them. These things are not on the side of global warming.

>> No.2272515

>>2272505

>I believe facts and hypotheses that are well-supported by them. These things are not on the side of global warming.

7/10

>> No.2272572

>>2272505

But they are, you've been misled by conservative radio/television hosts. While you may not personally listen to them, that's where the denialism talking points ultimately trace back to:

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/71473.html?wlc=1293747869