[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 177 KB, 640x513, galaxy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2265967 No.2265967 [Reply] [Original]

How much of this is accurate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
too lazy to link
lyrics then
whenever life gets you down Mrs brown and things seem hard or tough. and people are stupid exhausting or daft and you feel that you've had quite enough.
Just remember that your standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at nine-hundred miles an hour, that's orbiting at ninety miles a second so it's reckoned a sun that is the source of all our power.
the sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see are moving at a million miles a day. in an outer spiral arm at forty-thousand miles an hour of the galaxy we call the milky way.
our galaxy it'self contains a hundred billion stars, it's a hundred thousand light-years side to side, it bulges in the middle sixteen-thousand light-years thick but out by us it's just three-thousand light-years wide.we're thirteen-thousand light-years from galactic central point, we go round every two-hundred million years, and our galaxy is only one of millions of billions in this amazing and expanding universe.
the universe it'self keeps on expanding and expanding, in all of the directions it can whiz. as fast as it can go, the speed of light you know, twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is, so remember when you're feeling very small and insecure just how amazingly unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space because there's bugger all down here on earth.

>> No.2265978

bump because of Monty Python Astronomy

>> No.2265989

bump for answers.
come on astronomers I know you're out there.

>> No.2265997

why is nobody answering this?
is it too much like real science for you guys?
i haven't been here in forever but damn I remember better discussions in the past.

>> No.2266027

It's somewhat accurate. They took some artistic liberties from measurements to get the song flow right.

>> No.2266041

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour (Speed is wrong)
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, (wrong if you want to get picky)
A sun that is the source of all our power. (Current)
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see Are moving at a million miles a day (wrong)
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'. (wrong)
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.(Wrong)
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.(Wrong)
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,(Wrong
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.(wrong)
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.(wrong)
We go 'round every two hundred million years,(wrong)
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions (There are may like ours)
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding (It depends on your depiction of the universe)
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is. (No what about 21M Light years a minute and so on)
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth, (Yes are birth as human was a chance)
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,(Could be, never know)
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. (Yes that so true)

>> No.2266050

>>2266041
the one of millions of billions doesn't mean the only one of millions of billions meaning that it's just one galaxy and there are millions upon millions more.

>> No.2266064

>>2266041
>It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.(Wrong)
I was under the impression that the diameter of the Milky Way is indeed 100,000 light years.
>Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is. (No what about 21M Light years a minute and so on)
This verse is referring to the speed of light, and while 12 million miles a minute is over-estimating, he's not far off.

>> No.2266095

also if it makes a difference to how accurate it is compair to scientific knowledge circa 1983.
not sure how recently we had how accurate of an account these facts.

>> No.2266113

It's all within about 20%.... close enough to have gotten me through a graduate level astronomy test. :) The galaxy size is the furthest off, but our estimates of that change every year, and it's correct to within order of magnitude.