[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 46 KB, 464x325, alvinnextgensub.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2232419 No.2232419 [Reply] [Original]

The venerable Alvin minisub to which we owe much of the past four decades worth of scientific knowledge about the deep has been completely reborn.

With a new outer hull, a new 20% larger titanium(!) crew cabin, two additional sapphire windows (with overlapping fields of view) all new computer and motor control systems and more, it's the same sub in name only, as every component has been replaced at least once.

It's maximum rated depth has been *doubled*, from only 21,000 feet (a little over two miles) to nearly four miles deep. That brings 98% of the ocean floor within reach of human explorers for the first time in history. Only the Bathyscape Trieste has gone deeper (7 miles) and it was a purely sink-then-surface vehicle with no real ability to maneuver or do experiments.

All that remains off limits to Alvin are the deep trenches. And there's a secretive new DSV being built to explore those, too. James Cameron has let slip that he'll be riding aboard one to film 3D deep sea footage for sections of his next film.

>> No.2232429
File: 25 KB, 397x212, 2e1vi3d.jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes but will I be able to make it in my personal molecular assembler?

>> No.2232440
File: 27 KB, 320x240, fullretard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232429

>> No.2232473
File: 75 KB, 723x347, aquanautsuit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The one addition I'd like to see on other next gen DSVs is a docking ring. This new wave of science vehicles should be able to dock with deep sea outposts on the abyssal plain at 2-3 miles down, perhaps near the edge of a vast trench, so that less time, air and battery power would be wasted on the descent and ascent.

Such a science outpost would not be accessible by divers as the pressure at that depth isn't survivable, not with any exotic gas mixture. It would be very much like space; you'd need to protect the human occupants from ever coming into direct contact with the outside element. This means docking rings rather than moon pools and a new generation of titanium Newt Suits rather than traditional diving gear.

>> No.2232492

>>2232473

The ideal solution would be to make better divers, rather than better habitats or subs. I mean surely it's easier to make a dude breathe water than make a habitat that can function so deep down.

(New Alvin is really cool, btw. I'm excited.)

>> No.2232506
File: 143 KB, 634x678, newsub.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's some speculation about the new Challenger Deep explorer, based on the alleged involvement of the Deep Flight sub designers. A similar titanium crew cabin, but the pilots lay down, and the 'wings' assist in maneuverability.

The battery pack is a monster. With something like that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're using a centrifugal separator to produce oxygen from sea water instead of carrying air in compressed tanks.

>> No.2232511
File: 291 KB, 627x343, 1286658973639.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232473
Couldn't you just incorporate the suit into the submersible? It seems like the weight would be a problem, so what about an anglerfishesque newtsuit permanantly emdedded in the hull? Less freedom, perhaps a little more practical than docking/dragging your ass around at that depth.

>> No.2232520

Why not just send robots into the deep? I guess its the same argument as space exploration, but send the robots first, look around, if there is anything cool, send humans! A remote controlled robotic sub has to cost less than this Alvin thing

>> No.2232534
File: 43 KB, 450x364, docksuits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232511

....You mean like this? These ones detach from the carrier. I don't see why a next gen Newt Suit couldn't detach from a sub. The main concern would be compromising hull integrity by adding more hatches.

>>2232492

>>The ideal solution would be to make better divers, rather than better habitats or subs.

A lot of people agree with you and this was the approach favored between the 1960s and 1980s, but the human body has limits, and can only adapt so much. It is better and safer to engineer around a standard human being's needs, at least that's the new position gradually supplanting the old one. Most resistance to it comes from veteran divers who have a lot of their pride locked up in their dive records and view that there's nothing they can't handle.

>> No.2232558
File: 232 KB, 600x434, nereus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232520

>>Why not just send robots into the deep?

Because they can't go anywhere; they are tethered to the ship above by a data cable (wireless signals don't get far in water)

Here's the Nereus deep sea rover, cool mainly because it has limited ability to roam autonomously, detaching from the treaded base and operating like a sub on battery power for limited stretches. Very useful and gave us our first samples of the organic ooze at the bottom of the Challenger Deep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMyymnC93E

....But it can only be used in places that we know, beforehand, will contain something worth investigating. This approach does not permit free form exploration or the coincidental discoveries made by human beings throughout history, the discoveries which define scientific discovery.

>> No.2232563

>>2232534
No. I mean stick one of those puppies in the ship, not to be moved. The concern of oxygen is centralized to one vessel. Then again, I'm talking out of my ass. Hull integrity or it might scrape off and flood the thing etc.

>> No.2232579
File: 50 KB, 690x320, newtsuit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232563

I can see the value in having Newt Suit style arms by the porthole so a scientist can work on stuff loaded onto an experiment tray. Probably more dextrous than using waldos. But not the whole suit.

The idea of newt suits would be to permit scientists to exit the habitat and explore on foot. To enter caves too small for a sub, to collaborate on projects that need two sets of hands, to permit them to explore the natural sea floor environment in the way humans explore best.

The current crop of Newt Suits are steel and were designed in the 80s, so we'd need a revised design for 2010 with a titantium hull and sapphire dome if they're to operate at such depths.

>> No.2232591
File: 165 KB, 428x510, 1259469392252.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Science basket

>> No.2232595

>>2232591

They use it to carry all the sciences they harvest while down there

>> No.2232607

>>2232579
Aren't they going to be exhausted? And what about oxygen? I'm apologize for my inability to search for these things.

>> No.2232632
File: 11 KB, 307x418, prototype.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232607

>>Aren't they going to be exhausted?

No, they're neutrally buoyant so it takes less energy to move around.

>>And what about oxygen?

http://www.likeafish.biz/

There now exist centrifugal separators that can break oxygen out of sea water using only 150 watts. Most PCs these days use 200-400 watts, for comparison. Pic related, the separator.

>> No.2232662

>>2232632

What about algae tanks? Has anyone tried a small closed-loop life-support based on, say, tanks of Spirulina growing on grow lights?

You know, for food and CO2 scrubbing.

>> No.2232682 [DELETED] 

Nuytco is hard at work right now on the next generation of Newt suits, pictured here. They will provide 48 hours of life support although Nuytco doesn't say how. Judging by the absence of exterior air tanks most have speculated that an integrated centrifugal separator, powered by an energy dense lithium polymer battery, will be providing the air.

>> No.2232686 [DELETED] 
File: 70 KB, 320x480, exosuit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nuytco is hard at work right now on the next generation of Newt suits, shown here. They will provide 48 hours of life support although Nuytco doesn't say how. Judging by the absence of exterior air tanks most have speculated that an integrated centrifugal separator, powered by an energy dense lithium polymer battery, will be providing the air.

>> No.2232697
File: 70 KB, 320x480, exosuit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nuytco is hard at work right now on the next generation of Newt suits, shown here. They will provide 48 hours of life support although Nuytco doesn't say how. Judging by the tiny exterior air tank, (probably a reserve) most have speculated that an integrated centrifugal separator, powered by an energy dense lithium polymer battery, will be providing the air.

>> No.2232967

>>2232697

Hey, I live in the town where they make those.