[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 191 KB, 550x720, von braun nasa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2184443 No.2184443 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys, it's me again. I'm here to answer your questions on grad school, general engineering stuff, and extremely detailed questions related to anything about computational fluid dynamics. You can also ask me about why aerospace engineering is the king of all academic disciplines. Let's try to avoid the "what do you think of XXXUNFUNDEDTHEORETICALSPACEPROJECT?" I currently deal with terrestrial science.

You can also ask why it's friday night and I'm home drinking. It's because I've had many many long weeks.

Go!

>> No.2184450

why cant we mars

>> No.2184457

Junior here, graduating in Spring '12. If I want to go to grad right after uni, when should I take my GREs?

And, yeah, need to talk to my advisor, just polling opinions.

>> No.2184464

>>2184443
What advice would you give a high school senior interested in math and science

>> No.2184465

>>2184457
Not OP, but probably summer 11, since you'll need to send GRE scores with apps before Christmas 11, and you want to leave time for a retake if necessary.

>> No.2184473

What king of jobs can I get with a BS in Aerospace Engineering? Is Aerospace Engineering fun and satisfying? Do I need to be good at chemistry if i want to major in Aerospace Engineering?

>> No.2184479

Do you know Werner Von Braun?

>> No.2184488

>>2184457
(aside: go to grad school immediately, unless you know you have a job lined up who have stated in a contract that they will pay for your grad school.)

grad applications are due in the range of dec1 to jan15. i think i took my GRE the september before that december.

and the (general) GRE is obscenely easy for undergrad engineers that speak native english. don't stress it. unless you do terrible, it won't hurt you. it can't even help you since engineers are expected to be at almost 800 on math.

>>2184464
go to college? but seriously, do this: sign on for some hard science or engineering major that you think you might be interested in. don't go in undeclared, just pick something. don't stress over the choice, it doesn't really matter, cause your first year will be the same in practically any major.

then, this is the important part: watch for emails/posters about upcoming research presentations, both by seniors in that department and by visiting researchers giving lectures. go to every single one that you can. your mind will be blown, and you'll say "wow, i want to be that smart", and you'll know what field you want to go into.

>> No.2184491

As a potential aero who grew up in palmdale, california, would I be pretty safe as to a job once I'm out? Presuming I go back there.

>> No.2184503

>>2184473
(caveat: as a guy with an MS and midway through my phd, i'm very biased here.) If you really really really exceed in your BS program, you can get some pretty nice jobs. I know people that ended up at every major aerospace company. You're never going to start very far above the bottom, but some at least ended up with remotely interesting work. the majority of people i did bs with (a bit above mid-tier state school) ended up with jobs i'd consider boring. working with cad models, boring structural analysis.

but if you're black or female, you can get a job at mission control at nasa.

and no, i never had any pure chemistry courses beyond my freshman chem class. you will learn heat transfer and fluid mechanics (things that stump chem undergrads), and propulsion at a ugrad level has a tiny bit of chemistry, but no. like many things, the basics will get you through BS.

and shit yeah it's fun and satisfying. good aerospace engineers need to know physics as well as physicists, math as well as mathematicians, computer science as well as computer scientists, and still have raw intuition and creativity in problem solving. it's a beautiful field.

>> No.2184504

what goes into launching a geo synchronous satellite?

>> No.2184520

>>2184491
seems you already know the answer. there's plenty of aerospace company density in that area.

>>2184504
rocket fuel? shit, i dunno. my working knowledge there is limited to the basics of orbital mechanics. i mean, i can work out the altitude and insertion speed and basic trajectory for you.

>> No.2184538

Graduating with B.Sc. in Mech. Engg this year. I've been approached by a professor at my university asking if I would like to pursue graduate studies as part of a large research program beginning here in the coming years (a study on very high angle-of-attack aerofoil design will be likely what I work on). I'm very interested, and I was already planning to apply for graduate studies.

However, and as an Americafag (I assume?) I know you've probably never ever dealt with or even heard of NSERC, how does funding for graduate students typically work?

>> No.2184540

>>2184520
how about the actual launch pad what makes a good launch complex.

>> No.2184542

computer programmer here experimenting with GPGPU and I've been looking for ways to make CFD calculations go faster

in your opinion, what's the most important, computationally-intensive CFD operation to optimize?

>> No.2184548

Have you ever played with Orbiter? Awesome free space sim.

>> No.2184552

I've just completed my first year in mechancial engineering, so it's only early days for me, but do I need to change my major to aerospace engineering to have any chance of a job in the aerospace industry? If I only want to work on engines / thrust stuff will they care?

>> No.2184562

>>2184552
There is so much more to planes than aero engineers. You'll be fine as a mech

>> No.2184564

how different is aerospace engineering from mechanical? my undergrad school didn't offer aero, but had an "Aerospace certificate program" that i did that involved taking a few aero-related tech electives (like fluid/gas dynamics, mechanical vibrations, and advanced controls). from what i've seen in courses offered at my current school, the undergrad work seems really similar.

>> No.2184566

>>2184538
If this guy is known outside your university as being good in the field (I probably know his name if he is), and if he's well funded he probably is, then definitely do it.

Yeah, I'm an Amerifag, and I don't know how funding works elsewhere. But basically, every place I was in for grad school, offered full tuition support, health insurance, and a living stipend in the neighborhood of $1600-$2500/month depending on where in the country it was. so not making a lot of money, but definitely not spending anything on tuition.

but dude, do it. if you like this guy and you think you'd like him as a boss, and you think you'd like independent research, go for it. you'll be getting paid to get an advanced degree that will make all your opportunities better in the future.

>> No.2184572

>>2184564
very similar. many universities have combined aero/mech engineering departments.

from what i've seen, they tend to take slightly different approaches in teaching the material, but the fundamentals are the same. i'd say maybe in aero programs you tend to get some cursory orbital mechanics courses you don't have in mechanical, and in mechanical you might have a bit more on the thermodynamics side.

>> No.2184575

how much would you take as a minimum for private tutoring

>> No.2184578

>>2184552
I pretty much agree with poster below you. Aerospace companies are huge, man. They hire all kinds of types, from HR to economists to mathematicians.

Excel in your program, and you can get in anywhere.

But really, after a first year in engineering, you can pick any discipline and you won't lose anything for graduation date.

>> No.2184580

>>2184542
I'm not the OP, but your question seems curious. Regardless of the problem, most CFD (and FEM for that matter) solve the governing equations in essentially the same way. The computations, regardless of the problem at hand, are essentially the same. ANSYS CFX Solver descretizes the unsteady compressible Navier-Stokes equations in their conservative form, and solves them through an iterative Incomplete Lower Upper Factorization technique until some residuals or iterations criterion is reached. As such, I'm not sure what you mean by "most computationally intensive".

I'd recommend looking at solver theory documentation; they should explain the approach for each different solver, and are readily available online.

>> No.2184590

>>2184575
Well... if you were to look at my stipend and assume (very incorrectly) it was for 40 hours a week, i'd be far over $20/hour.

i don't need the money, and i have unlimited work i can be doing so anything i'm doing that's not work i feel bad, so i dunno... during my halftime assistantships, i think i was basically at $20/hour. so more than that.

>> No.2184598

>>2184542
holy shit, i did my MS in GPGPU and have published papers on it.

the only correct answer is the linear solvers associated with iterative solution of the discretized solution. gmres, bicgstab, adi, etc. everything else is just bookkeeping and a fraction of the runtime.

>> No.2184605

>>2184598
and continuing this, in CFD specifically, EVERYTHING outside of the linear solvers are "trivially parallelizable", and are super super easy to do with GPUs.

>> No.2184609

>>2184566
It's not aircraft aerofoil design, so you might not know him. It's wind power aerofoil design. Him and his partner in crime (a duo of fluids professors who join the university recently) are very well funded. There's a new building on campus going up, and the two of them are equipping it with multiple wind tunnels and a water tunnel out of their own research funding and private money they've secured.

I will very likely follow through. Its very interesting, and the two of them are very interesting guys (as people, in addition to being brilliant. Like, fun to have a beer with guys). I was just asking because in Canada, while the situation is essentially the same (everything covered + $1500-2000 a month stipend), everything goes through NSERC. I just have no idea what to expect trying to deal with a national research council for money.

>> No.2184624

>>2184580
this is dumb and wrong. i can tolerate oversimplifications when they at least capture the general idea. too many inaccuracies here.

>>2184609
i have wind energy projects too =)
sorry i have no idea how canuck funding works. ask your prof. i mean, you're not gonna be rich as a grad student, but fiscal stability is great.

>> No.2184626

OP, I'm a junior in mechanical engineering. Do you have a lot of experience with aerospace from a military aviation standpoint? If so, would you say that a graduate with a year of work experience (internship) and a master's degree would stand a chance of landing a position at a military aerospace contractor?

Also, I'm starting my first real fluids class next term. Would you say that undergrad fluids courses require more vector calculus or differential equations? I ask because I want to know which one (or both) I should do a quick review of.

Finally, what languages do you use for your CFD programming and which simulation techniques do you specialize in? (LES, etc.)

>> No.2184627

Ohh, I remember you.

Hey. tell me your opinions on the differences between a Computer Sci major/math major/physics major?

Captcha scientists rescan

>> No.2184634

>>2184609
In case you're interested, the reason why they plan to study high-angle of attack on wind turbine blades is that they're looking at the small scale; 1 kW or so units. Very large, megawatt turbines obviously have variable pitch, but it's not just a good return on investment on small blades, and so you've got to generate a decent initial torque off of essentially a blunt face or whatever.

The goal of these guys, and their private friends (including the province's largest electricity distributer and its largest electricity producer) is to build a distributed grid off of these things.

>> No.2184642

I fucking love mathematics, but the jobs appear to be only in applied mathematics. I suck at programming, but i work hard to do it- it's my entire job. i like probability theory, and was thinking about going into biostatistics, specifically pharmaceuticals, where i can make cash (and find a job). But is statistics really... mathematics? And what kind of programming do I need to know?

Do you know anyone in this field:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-clinical-biostatistics.htm

>> No.2184656

>>2184443
>OP, I'm a junior in mechanical engineering. Do you have a lot of experience with aerospace from a military aviation standpoint? If so, would you say that a graduate with a year of work experience (internship) and a master's degree would stand a chance of landing a position at a military aerospace contractor?
Without question, yes. I had military contracting work with lesser qualifications.
>Also, I'm starting my first real fluids class next term. Would you say that undergrad fluids courses require more vector calculus or differential equations? I ask because I want to know which one (or both) I should do a quick review of.
both. christ, i've been in this so long i don't know how to tell the difference. they're fundamental to fluids.
>Finally, what languages do you use for your CFD programming and which simulation techniques do you specialize in? (LES, etc.)
I specialize in high performance computing. MPI, CUDA (gpu programming)... and i prefer to use C++ for everything. I use matlab for fast development work. i'm sometimes forced to use old fortran codes.

i do considerable work in immersed boundary methods, and i'll be doing more LES in the near future. my biggest interest is the very general: doing realistic engineering solutions faster or more accurate than previously possible.

>> No.2184662

>>2184627
>Hey. tell me your opinions on the differences between a Computer Sci major/math major/physics major?
com sci is worthless. the most unapplied of any major. you'd think a com sci major could be a good programmer at the end of their senior year, right? nope. tons of aerospace people are far more proficient than CS people. i think CS is to real engineering as psychology is to neurology.

math majors and physics majors are okay by me in general.... i still think they're inferior =)
but really, someone with a truly core understanding of these disciplines is interchangeable. i can collaborate on research with mathematicians and physicists, and they can work on mine.

>> No.2184665

Have you ever worked on bombs that get better and better at killing brown people? I like that stuff. I love aerospace engineering because I hate brown people in middle eastern countries.

>> No.2184666

OP, what computer science classes did you take as undergrad? What do you recommend someone to learn when working with thermodynamics?

I currently know...

... the equivalent to a 15 year old's knowledge of C.

So, erm,...

>> No.2184667

hey OP, what kind of job prospects does someone like you have overseas?

>> No.2184670

>>2184642
um.... what you showed about "clinical biostatistics" struck me as silly. good statisticians and mathematicians can get jobs at a lot of places. but clinical data? shit man, that's as simple as statistics gets. even dumbass med students know enough stat to do that work.

obviously the only jobs are in "applied" mathematics. if you want to work in something that's not-applied, you can go get fucked. it ceases to be real science if it can't be applied to real universes.

>> No.2184682
File: 157 KB, 445x297, barracuda_header.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184667
Aerospace is exclusive to America.

>> No.2184684

>>2184667
>hey OP, what kind of job prospects does someone like you have overseas?
i'm an american citizen, studying in america, in aerospace engineering. why the fuck would i care about overseas jobs at lesser places?

but one thing i find funny is that it's easier for a foreigner to get an aerospace/defense job in america than it is for an american to get a similar job in a foreign country.

>>2184666
>OP, what computer science classes did you take as undergrad? What do you recommend someone to learn when working with thermodynamics?
I had basic fortran, and on the job i learned a ton of c++ that serves me very well to this day.

it depends what you intend to do near-term. whatever language/environment you go after, aspire to learn it very very well, and i'll always respect you. for an undergrad.... become a wizard in matlab. learn how to make it as fast as compiled languages. it has awesome turnaround time... you can develop amazingly fast with it.

this is with total humility too. i make all my money with my very good skills in using C++ for scientific computing, but when it comes down to it, matlab is the fastest way to figure out how things work.

>> No.2184688

>>2184666
>the equivalent to a 15 year old's knowledge of C
15-year-old C programmers tend to know a lot about their language, you might wanna be more specific here.

>> No.2184690

>>2184684

>but one thing i find funny is that it's easier for a foreigner to get an aerospace/defense job in america than it is for an american to get a similar job in a foreign country.

Yesss

inb4 "With foreigner I meant Bangladeshi"

>> No.2184705

you said go to grad immediately after your BS, why? i was planning on traveling for 6 months or so, and applying in the next year after graduation

>> No.2184708

>>2184656

Thanks for your response.

Looks like I'll be reading my vector calculus book over the break.

It's my understanding that most simulations are written in C++ but I have a decent amount of experience in MATLAB. From a non-research standpoint is MATLAB adequate for simulations where a very high degree of accuracy is unnecessary? I ask because I don't know how much original code development is required for a typical aerospace engineer. I am a much better programmer in MATLAB than C++ and would prefer to use MATLAB for programming if possible.

Also, I recently finished a quantum mechanics class for my physics minor. Does QM come into play in your simulations? (I would think in gas dynamics). Thanks very much for your time.

>> No.2184727

>>2184682
Holy shit the nazis have jet planes and shit

>> No.2184739

please scientifically explain how traveling faster then the speed of light will allow you to travel back in time. I understand that if you are traveling faster then light that you can "Look Backwards" and see your self coming. But I would like a deeper explanation of the physics.

>> No.2184768

>>2184684
>but one thing i find funny is that it's easier for a foreigner to get an aerospace/defense job in america than it is for an american to get a similar job in a foreign country.
I don't believe it.

>> No.2184773

Soon to be graduating senior here. What should i do if i fucked myself royally in my first two years of high school by being an incredibly lazy bastard, i didnt find a love for science and math till halfway past junior year. I did bad enough that no matter how much effort i put in after junior year i'll have to go on the minimum plan, which means i'll be shafted on having to do community college for 1 year before transferring to a real college. Im looking forward to being an engineer, but i also have no idea what field to go into because its so fucking massive. My problems are further compounded by the fact that i have no science/math education above algebra 2 and IPC (Essentially physics and chemistry for morons) because of said fucking up royally, asides from picking up bits and pieces here from reading various things. I lack the knowledge but im pretty damn intelligent and have a natural talent for the engineering field, will that be a real problem as i start working towards an engineering degree?

>> No.2184781

>>2184705
okay hippie. interviewer: "what have you been doing for the past 12 months?"
you: "i've been finding myself"
interviewer: "okay you dumbass spoiled rich kid. fuck off."

>>2184708
>is MATLAB adequate for simulations where a very high degree of accuracy is unnecessary?
matlab does not affect your accuracy. it affects the time it'll take to achieve desired accuracy.

if you have a good fundamental understanding of computer programming, you can learn any new language in very very short order. actually good c++ programmers can start to write good code in any language in a day.

matlab isn't an excuse to not know good programming. it's a tool, so learn it well.

>> No.2184785

>>2184773
my state says that any high school graduate with an ACT score over 18/36 must be accepted.

high school problem? gimme a break, man. non issue.

>> No.2184789

>>2184768
some of my best friends in grad school are indians. they're fucking shocked that they could even be considered for american aerospace jobs. there's no possible way i, an american phd from a top university, could get a job at a shitass indian aerospace contractor with 1981 technology.

that's how it is. fucking liberals don't understand how giving a nation we are.

>> No.2184790

What was/is grad school like for aerospace engineer?

also, what were your GRE scores?

>> No.2184800

>>2184790
>What was/is grad school like for aerospace engineer?
during class time, i can take some very advanced classes that i love. research time, i'm doing fun research that i love. really, it depends completely on your advisor. i love my work, and i put in 10-12 hours a day, and i love it so it doesn't feel like work.

>also, what were your GRE scores?
780 math 640 verbal.

but i assure you that my letters of recommendation and work experience were far more important.

>> No.2184805

>>2184785
Oh, no problem at all then. Racked up a score of 29 on the ACT, only questions i couldnt answer correctly were the ones i didnt have the knowledge for and couldnt bullshit my way to figure them out.

>> No.2184809
File: 771 KB, 3008x2000, Atlas_V_551_at_Launch_Pad_41.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are the white cylinders on top of the lightning towers?

>> No.2184815

>>2184809
HAARP

they're for mind control

>> No.2184821

>>2184781

Thanks for the response. I intend to concentrate more on learning C++ when I get the time. I'd like to learn it for the knowledge and the versatility/usefulness of it.

You stated that you are a rocket scientist. Do you work with the internal fluid dynamics of rocket systems (engines, etc) or external characteristics (the aerodynamics of the shuttle, etc.), or both? Your job sounds extremely interesting and presumably very satisfying!

>> No.2184823
File: 45 KB, 443x455, punch_IBM29_programmer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184656
> i'm sometimes forced to use old fortran codes.

Polite sage -- I assume that means FORTRAN 77, not Fortran 90 and above (which have multidimensional array handling functions and syntax very similar to MATLAB).

>> No.2184837

SAS software:

Awesome, or super awesome?

>> No.2184865

>>2184443
Are you a rocket scientist or an engineer (faggot)?

They are two very different things. Rocket scientists are scientists (usually physicist) with an expertise in classical mech and classical dynamics. Engineers are the labor, who work for the rocket scientists. So?

>> No.2184868

>>2184823
>Polite sage -- I assume that means FORTRAN 77, not Fortran 90 and above (which have multidimensional array handling functions and syntax very similar to MATLAB).

it means both. i have due respect for fortran, and i actually love a lot of how OOP is implemented in f90/95/2003, but it still lacks a lot. a simple thing like f's proper handling of multi-dimensional arrays is great for sure, but C++'s boost libraries can handle that as well.

part of it is simply the style... working with old f codes is a serious pain.

oh and comparing f90/whatever to matlab is totally bogus. syntax doesn't mean shit there. it's not even similar syntax. what?

>> No.2184873

>>2184865
mathematician here. i work like an engineer.

>> No.2184875

>>2184865
>engineers are the labor who work for scientists
THIS IS WHAT /sci/ ACTUALLY BELIEVES

>> No.2184876

>>2184865
I completed my general examinations in fluid dynamics, applied mathematics, statistical mechanics, .... and lol, did you really say that physicists are rocket scientists? fuck off troll.

>> No.2184882

>>2184875
actually i think sci is comprised largely of pathetic teenagers that have latched onto that view as something cool. there's a tiny minority of people here that are actually of BS+ range.

>> No.2184886

>>2184865
I thought the whole engineering=faggot thing was just a joke on how its a sausage fest. Im surprised there are people here seriously stupid enough to believe it.

>> No.2184890

Im taking a NASA course and I could use need some math help

can you explain how to calculate the Delta V required for the Space Shuttle to decrease its altitude to 60 miles if it’s orbiting with an apogee of 236 miles and a perigee of 215 miles above the surface of Earth.

>> No.2184897

>>2184789
Surprise, a fucking racist libertarian piece of shit engineer with a persecution complex.

>> No.2184905

c vs. c++

>> No.2184913

>>2184876
Yeah, I tend to believe in the truth

>>2184875
Stop avoiding the question, are you an engineer (faggot) or a scientist? They are two completely different things. Are you so fucking ashamed of being an faggot, that you wont even admit to it?

>> No.2184915

How easy do you think it'll be for me to get into a decent texas college if i have a shit class rank due to living in rich white people town and attending a highly competitive high school, im hispanic and have an ACT score of 28.

>> No.2184916

http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/users/gambetta/Engineers%20of%20Jihad.pdf

>> No.2184925

>>2184897
>implying Indian aerospace isn't 30 years behind America

>> No.2184927

>>2184443
ITT: Shit-teir faggot (engineer) asshamed of his major, trys to call himself a scientist to make himself feel better

>> No.2184935

>>2184925
I went into engineering (not aerospace) specifically to work abroad. Funny as hell that this cornfed douche claims the exact opposite of what I experienced.

>> No.2184936

>>2184821
>You stated that you are a rocket scientist. Do you work with the internal fluid dynamics of rocket systems (engines, etc) or external characteristics (the aerodynamics of the shuttle, etc.), or both?
both. you'll eventually find that these things are the same. average folk don't understand how broad the application of fundamental fluid mechanics are. we seriously use this shit for galactic collisions.

>> No.2184943

The engineer = gay thing is a dumb 4chan meme. This is more accurately represents the typical American engineer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5tgVx5E5x8

>> No.2184945

>>2184935
Except he was talking specifically about aerospace. So you don't have a leg to stand on.

>> No.2184950

>>2184935
So you are not a "rocket scientist" then, you are just an engineer.

Why did you try to pass yourself off as a scientist? Have you not come out of the closet yet?

>> No.2184960

>>2184935
confirmed for faggotry!

>> No.2184965

>>2184945
This is what I took issue with:
>that's how it is. fucking liberals don't understand how giving a nation we are.
It was far easier for me to get work in Japan, supposedly one of the most racist developed nations in the world, than it was for me to get SCI clearance for raytheon.

>> No.2184970

>>2184950

You are an undergrad science major. You contribute nothing to society and you are unintelligent. You hate engineers because they are far more intelligent and useful to society than you ever will be. Kindly fuck off and die of cancer.

>> No.2184972

hey OP

can you explain how to calculate the Delta V required for the Space Shuttle to decrease its altitude to 60 miles if it’s orbiting with an apogee of 236 miles and a perigee of 215 miles above the surface of Earth.

>> No.2184976

>>2184943
Looks like someone is in denial of who he really is. Don't worry homo, /sci/ except you for who you are. We don't care that you like the gay secks, be yourself bro! Engineering Pride!

>> No.2184981

>>2184970
>engineers
>intellegent

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO
that is some funny shit
got anymore jokes?

>> No.2184987

Engineers are literally Hitler.

>> No.2184988

Oh, /sci/ why are you so butthurt towards engineers?

>> No.2184997

>>2184987
I do not deny this, i still support the release of super aids that will destroy 97% of the human race in a week to solve the overpopulation problem. The 3% left are those who are naturally immune to it for god knows why.

>> No.2185002

I love engineers Op im trying to be one

please help an up and budding rocket scientist out

can you explain how to calculate the Delta V required for the Space Shuttle to decrease its altitude to 60 miles if it’s orbiting with an apogee of 236 miles and a perigee of 215 miles above the surface of Earth?

>> No.2185011
File: 78 KB, 750x600, 1268196441378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185002
rocket scientist = scientist
engineer = faggot

scientist != engineer

FUCK OFF SCIA!

>> No.2185013
File: 55 KB, 576x757, 1282169051050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/sci/ is just homophobic
Engineering PRIDE!

>> No.2185017

The better question, is, why isnt everyone engineers once they get fed up with all the bullshit from bitches and whores?

>> No.2185020
File: 165 KB, 1069x1107, TrueTier.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184988
take your engineering shit to /cm/ faggot

>> No.2185021

>>2185013

says the guy who saves gay porn to his hard drive and implies he is NOT gay...

>> No.2185024

What is your undergraduate degree in?

What kind of careers can I get into with a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

>> No.2185026

>engineer hate
Problem /sci/? I can fix that.

>> No.2185032
File: 75 KB, 852x839, 1277214272633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What is the difference between a physicist, an engineer, and a mathematician?

If a physicist walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it eloquently around the fire and lets the fire put itself out.

If a mathematician walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he convinces himself there is a solution and leaves.

If an engineer walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he proclaims the fire is "fabulous". He proceeds to call other engineers and they pour the water all over themselves while fucking eachother in the ass while they dance around the fire.

>> No.2185036
File: 60 KB, 800x519, MIT-engineering+-1835.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185021
I am a proud engineer.
Just here to represent.

>> No.2185042
File: 103 KB, 960x481, 1277939710773.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185024

>> No.2185047
File: 64 KB, 966x678, 1277215612634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184443
WHY THE FUCK DO YOU KEEP SHITTING UP SCI WITH YOUR HOMOSEX SHIT! GTFO OP! JUST GTFO!

>> No.2185050

>>2185011
>>2185011
rocket science is the study of rockets, most frequently studied in the discipline of aerospace engineering and related fields.

>> No.2185055
File: 41 KB, 250x350, 1274784202683.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185047
You need to learn some engineering tolerance

>> No.2185058
File: 38 KB, 604x443, FAGGS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185050

>> No.2185061
File: 8 KB, 251x197, 1269377638216.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2185065
File: 73 KB, 500x820, 1276398812468.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184443
>>2184443
>>2184443

>> No.2185067
File: 902 KB, 1620x720, 1284858452022.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184450

>> No.2185068

>>2185055
>Engineering
>Tolerance
That pun is bad and you should feel bad

>> No.2185076

wow, this thread turned to shit.
This gay engineering stuff should be something you can get b& for.

>> No.2185077
File: 176 KB, 800x600, 2h4m33d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

guys i;m so drunkgtrhb

>> No.2185080
File: 105 KB, 500x326, 1286720385011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185068

>> No.2185083

>>2185076
Welcome to /sci/

If you mention engineers, a gay shit shorm will ensure. Happends every time!

>> No.2185090
File: 39 KB, 310x384, gaysexfor dummies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184443
I can engineer too. I read this book every night. I don't have to pay expensive tuition. U jelly?

>> No.2185092

I just had an interview with Boeing for the Ares project as an entry level engineer. Can you get them to give me an offer?

>> No.2185099
File: 8 KB, 294x400, Freud-art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185083
>post about engineering
>scientists spam gay porn

>> No.2185106
File: 151 KB, 500x403, 1085682647_d5b4dfd09d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185099
bUT We R engineers? Why do you hate us?
We demand equal rights! We are not animals!

>> No.2185107

>>2185099
You mean engineers spam gay porn? Because scientists are usually too busy with their work to look at porn, let alone save it on their HDD.

>> No.2185111
File: 24 KB, 400x415, gay_fabulous.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185106
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He must have multiple Phd's in engineering!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.2185114
File: 206 KB, 351x351, 17149.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>major in math or chemistry
>no job i want
>0K starting wage
>go on /sci/, and troll engineers

>> No.2185123

I want a math-related career.

Engineering? Yes/no
Math. finance? Yes/no

Tell me about all the undergrad stuff too, if you can, would you?

>> No.2185133
File: 31 KB, 265x350, guy-laughing-at-you-thumb1094641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2185114
>Implying engineering uni degrees aren't being phased out in favor of certifications

>Implying most engineering jobs aren't being outsorced

>> No.2185136

I recently graduated (8 months ago) out of BSAE with a B/C GPA (~2.5/4.0) and haven't been able to find entry-level employment (obviously) in my field.

i'm deffering my loan payments currently?

My question though is this: Should I just anhero now?

>> No.2185147

>>2185123
Engineering is not really considered math related. All they learn is very basic shit-teir math (basic plug and chug shit).
It is about as math related as being a cashier.

The only real "math" professions are mathematician, and physicist (sometimes).

>> No.2185161

>>2185136

I hear these kinda stories all the time.
Engineering is never a wise choice in life, and usually an indicator of some greater problem. Where did you go wrong? were you on drugs in college? Abused as a child?

>> No.2185175

>>2185147
>implying a cashier can build a 747

>> No.2185205

>>2184503
math as well as mathematicians?

no good sir, no.

you know math as well as a math undergrad, maybe a math grad, but not a Dr in math.

no

>> No.2185221

>>2185205
>you know math as well as a math undergrad, maybe a math grad

I seriously even doubt they know undergrad math, As Engineers never learn proffs.....LMAO

>> No.2185226

why do /sci/ math sophomores feel like they're so smart for having a piece of paper? some of my fellow math majors were complete morons who were insanely religious or had daddy issues (especially the women, no offense). they ended up becoming programmers or engineers. they were on the same fucking level as a dipshit engineer frat boy.

you guys aren't terrance tao or perelman; hell, those guys even have some humility in their careers. being a mathematician is the same as being a musician. mathematicians are, after all, just glorified artists.

>> No.2185239

>>2185221
WOW! No wonder everyone keeps saying engineering is shit-teir.

>> No.2185251

>>2185226
>women in math

DOHOHOHOHOHOHO
But seriously my math and physics classes are huge sausagefests. I wish it was more balanced.

And guess what? A lot of people like who mathematicians are "glorified artists." Up to a certain level, math is an art.

>> No.2185245

>>2185226
>women
>daddy issues

Dude, I know what the fuck you're talking about. Especially female engineers, those bitches got mad daddy issues

>> No.2185263

>>2185251
actually, i rephrase my statement:

5 of the women in my graduating class had daddy issues, or were extremely depressed and had low self esteem/superiority complex. there were 5 women in my graduating class.

although this can be extended to probably half of the graduating class...

>> No.2185281

Would you say that in order to do well in most engineering related fields it requires more hard work than smarts?

I've kind of noticed that some of my peers are quite intelligent, but they ultimately end up with shitty grades because they dont have any work ethic. I'm kind of concluded personally that a good work ethic in any engineering major trumps intelligence 5x over.

Your thoughts, nig nog?

>> No.2185287

>>2185263
Ehhh, a lot of famous mathematicians are weirdos anyways.

>> No.2185311

>>2185263
>superiority complex

well, that explains /sci/ dude

>> No.2185329
File: 9 KB, 194x259, Falcon 9 Rocket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey so Senior in High School...
Was wondering about going to University of Kansas and majoring in Engineering physics and eventually specializing in Aerospace, does this offer anything in improved employability or is it useless and I should just go straight aerospace.

>> No.2185425

>>2185136
To answer your question, yes. I am in the same boat but with a 3.5 GPA. I just had my first interview since I started applying which was about a year now. I posted that earlier, it was with Boeing. The interview wasn't bad but could have gone a lot better I think.

>> No.2185426

>>2185175

Probably not, but neither can an unemployed engineer.

>> No.2185442

>>2185123
You would be surprised how bad engineers are at math. I am one of the few engineers that are really good at math. It isn't helping me find a job though.

>> No.2185631
File: 78 KB, 500x375, 2TdG78uXT94kl091IHvZQ3x7_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Aerospace Engineering is very easy, as german structural engineering student we have more CFD, FEM and BEM Topics.

>> No.2185635

>>2185442
No suprise here, I know from first hand experience that most engineers are really bad at math. Its fucking pathetic.

>> No.2186618

>>2185635
my last math exam was on existence and uniqueness proofs.

>> No.2186689

>>2185002
>can you explain how to calculate the Delta V required for the Space Shuttle to decrease its altitude to 60 miles if it’s orbiting with an apogee of 236 miles and a perigee of 215 miles above the surface of Earth?

yes. this is a very basic problem you'll find in every orbital mechanics text. i think your time will be better spent actually reading them and understanding how the results come about. i *highly* recommend this text:

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Astrodynamics-Roger-R-Bate/dp/0486600610

>> No.2186707

>>2186689

you didnt answer my question. why not take time between BS and MS or PHD?

>> No.2186716

OP, you are awesome.

>> No.2186743

>>2186707
>you didnt answer my question. why not take time between BS and MS or PHD?
sorry, just woke up to find this clusterfuck of pathetic kids with no degree in anything that think it's funny to spam engineer threads.

to answer the question, it's really just psychological. so many people i graduated BS with said "oh i'll go work for a few years and then go back and get a masters" and they almost never do. maybe 1 in 20 have, and it's because their company paid them to do it.

it's so hard for people to go back to school, both intellectually and socially. imagine going off to work for a few years, getting paid a good wage, and then signing on for 2+ years of getting paid practically minimum wage. even more, consider if you got married, had kids... real life gets in the way. i know so many people that said they'll go back for an MS/MEng, and they just never do.

>>2186716
<3

>> No.2186786

hi op
thinking about becoming an aero engineer myself but cant decide between aero or mechanical engineering, also how easy is it to start your own company in the engi field with an major in aero engineering? thx

>> No.2186808

>>2186743

Thanks. I was worried you were implying that the admission boards would think I was a bum or something.

>> No.2186827

>>2186808
I'm not entirely sure how they look at that. But consider this:
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php?f=1078

you have to convince an admissions board that you really want to do grad school, and it's not something you're just falling back on.

>>2186786
do aero.

starting your own company kind of requires you know a lot of stuff. 1 guy with a BS is going to have a hard time starting a high tech company.

>> No.2186854
File: 64 KB, 559x381, 127734228271.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What're your opinions on Chemical Engineering OP?

>> No.2186878

>>2186854
that's pretty broad, man. there's a lot of neat areas in chemE.

>> No.2186984
File: 229 KB, 847x1013, The_Temptation_of_Saint_Anthony_%28Gr%C3%BCnewald%29_detail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2186878
I'm considering what I want to do at university - information on chemical engineering seems pretty sparse. I don't really have any specific questions - mind telling me a little about it?

The thing that sounds awful about it is the supposed business side of it. I hate business/economics. Is business/economics much of a part in aerospace?

Finally, why is aerospace engineering the king of all academic disciplines?

>> No.2187007

Oh mighty rocket scientist please help me do space math

Calculate the minimum change in velocity (delta V or ∆V) required for the Space Shuttle to decrease its altitude to 60 miles if it’s orbiting with an apogee of 236 miles and a perigee of 215 miles above the surface of Earth.

>> No.2187020

>>2186984
>I don't really have any specific questions - mind telling me a little about it?
Well, pretty standard engineering first year. After that, (besides the obvious "chemistry") you're looking at coursework in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, general transport-type problems... I think there's a general trend for cheme's of late to start crossing over with bio-engineering type stuff. if you're interested in both biology/genetics and engineering, there's a lot of opportunities.

>The thing that sounds awful about it is the supposed business side of it. I hate business/economics. Is business/economics much of a part in aerospace?
I don't know of any business courses in chemE programs. certainly weren't any in aerospace. i mean, obviously you're going to have to deal with a business world at some point.

>Finally, why is aerospace engineering the king of all academic disciplines?
i think i already said. take computational fluid dynamics for example. (aside, chemE's are also interested in this field, especially in the combustion area.) in this field, we deal with the navier stokes equations. these partial differential equations are such a monumental challenge that their existence/uniqueness constitutes a millenium prize. pure mathematicians make no headway in this area. but to do CFD, we need a core fundamental understanding of all the mathematics buried in NS. then we need to understand numerical methods well enough to discretize these equations and then solve the arising systems. we need to know software engineering to write and maintain very large and fast programs that run on the most expensive supercomputers in the world in order to solve the problem at hand. but most importantly, we have to be engineers, and we have to know if what we're solving is actually what we want to solve, and how to apply it to complex physical systems.

>> No.2187037

>>2187007
seriously this is like, your first homework assignment in a junior-level orbital mechanics course. i advise you to read BM&W.

and your question is underconstrained. is the shuttle supposed to drop to a 60-mile altitude circular orbit? or just drop the perigee to 60 miles?

anyways, section 3.3 in bm&w. made me pull the book off my shelf...

>> No.2187045

Hey OP I wondering what your GPA was when you applied for grad school. Right now I have a 3.1 and I plan to take the GRE next fall. I'm set to graduate spring of 2012. I really want to pursue my MS but I'm just really unsure if I have what it takes to succeed at a higher level. Are you likely lubricious smart or did struggle through you undergrad like I am.

>> No.2187051

>>2187037
Drop the pedigree

>> No.2187063

>>2187037
also im only a junior in HS

Taking college level NASA course

shits cash.. and hard

>> No.2187071

>>2187051
Also this is a de-orbit burn so you need to reenter the atmosphere

>> No.2187087
File: 68 KB, 169x192, zubrin-mad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187051

>pedigree

>> No.2187138

yo OP ausfailian first year here- h2NASA it? How good do my scores need to be. Must i get honours(70% avg), phd@an american uni?

>> No.2187143

>>2187087
shut up Zubrin

I meant perigee

>> No.2187147

>>2187045
I honestly had a low cumulative gpa because i had dropped out midway through and came back a couple years later. my core gpa (aerospace classes only) was around 3.5 though. ended up with like a 3.6 in MS before going on for phd elsewhere.

get good recommendations. get close to a 4.0 every semester till you graduate (so you show a pattern of improvement). get to know your profs, and emphasize what you want to do in grad school.

>>2187063
>NASA course
seriously i have no idea what this means. "NASA" is not a subject. is your high school seriously calling this a "nasa course"?
>>2187071
do you know anything about differential equations? i can't imagine doing orbital mechanics without diffeq...

i guess i can look up the algebraic equation that arises from the actual diffeq, but then you're just plugging in numbers...

>> No.2187157

>>2187143
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit
everything you need to know.
>>2187138
i thought australians spoke english?

>> No.2187170
File: 35 KB, 139x143, zubrin-trollin-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187143

>> No.2187175

>>2187087
>>2187170
You are coffee mug aren't you

>> No.2187180
File: 22 KB, 113x116, zubrin-trollin-3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187170

>> No.2187186

>>2187147
>>2187147
This is course im taking
http://www.vasts.spacegrant.org/

What type of high school junior know differential equations?

>> No.2187188
File: 12 KB, 85x84, zubrin-trollin-4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187175

Godammit man.

God dammit.

>> No.2187191

also it says

Use the rule of thumb that below an altitude of 500 miles, for every 2 feet per second (fps) change in the orbiting space craft’s velocity its altitude will change by 1 mile.

>> No.2187194

>>2187157
haha sorry was gaming before my head is kinda out of it today.
My question was just simply - say i wanted to work for nasa as an aerospace engineer. What kind of marks/work would get me in the best position for that?

>> No.2187196

>>2187188
So still planning to stalk Elon Musk?

>> No.2187212
File: 114 KB, 640x480, musk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187196

Yes I will speak to him in dreams to convince him to give me a job.

>> No.2187227

>>2187212
You are one creepy fury underage third world liberal

>> No.2187233
File: 75 KB, 1248x956, 1292046760554.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187227

Always at your service.

>> No.2187238

>>2187233
iv'e always wondered

what third world country do you live in anyways?

>> No.2187249
File: 113 KB, 364x336, 1291772213648.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187238

I won't say lul

>> No.2187251

>>2187238
>>2187233
>>2187227
>>2187212
>>2187196

Fuck off with your argument somewhere else

>> No.2187252

>>2187233
>CCM
>sergal
I don't know whether my shivering is from horror or lust.

>> No.2187257

>>2187249
Why not?

Im curious

>> No.2187264
File: 49 KB, 293x208, zubrin-zubrinface-your-thread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187252

Well, at least it's a change from the leopard_girl.jpg routine.

>>2187251

But it keeps the thread bumped so everyone can ask.

>> No.2187266
File: 161 KB, 728x1070, sp28.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187257

Because I'm a very paranoid nutjob.

>> No.2187271

>>2187266
Why because do you think someone is going to hunt down a third worlder out of a million people?

>> No.2187281

>>2187271

He lives in Somalia.

But you cant locate it on a map because you're dumb american

>> No.2187282

>>2187266
Also as an american I could help you immigrate

Give advice and shit

>> No.2187284

>>2187281
Somalia is on the Horn of Africa

Not all of us Americans are bad at geography

>> No.2187289
File: 48 KB, 250x147, 1824_Assange Getty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187282

dis smells fishy!

>> No.2187312

>>2187289
What that im american?

U jelly that Im the american master race?

also if you are Muslim good luck immigrating

>> No.2187334
File: 54 KB, 400x426, 1291850962944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187312

Nah bro I'm not a Muslim, I'm a standard, caucasian looking baseline male. Pale enough and with good enough English for people not to realize I come from a dusty shithole most people haven't even heard of.

The society and the economy are not that bad here anyways, it's just the general image (And how the country was a few years ago, and because we're surrounded by time bomb countries)

>> No.2187378

>>2185147
implying the navier-stokes equation is shit tier math. you mathematicians can't even prove existence and smoothness of a solution. dumbass. us engineers who do fluid mechanics have to solve it every day.

>> No.2187429

>>2187334

Middle east/ or Poland?

>> No.2187434

>>2187238

scotland

>> No.2187451

so rocket man can you help me using the the rule of thumb that below an altitude of 500 miles, for every 2 feet per second (fps) change in the orbiting space craft’s velocity its altitude will change by 1 mile.

>> No.2187471

>>2186827

so what do you think it takes to start a high tech company? is a degree in aero engineering atleast a good start?
thx for the answers

>> No.2187515

>>2187451
you want me to help you multiply some numbers?
>>2187471
i'm not really qualified to answer that. i don't know anyone that started their own company after graduating.

You have to realize that someone with a BS in aerospace engineering doesn't know shit about aerospace engineering.

>> No.2187517

>>2187334
croatia

>> No.2187521

Mathematics is the Mother of all of Science, newfag.

>> No.2187527

I am Mathematician and I proved Existence

>> No.2187540
File: 504 KB, 1280x1024, smoking.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey so Senior in High School...
Was wondering about going to University of Kansas and majoring in Engineering physics and eventually specializing in Aerospace, does this offer anything in improved employability or is it useless and I should just go straight aerospace?

>> No.2187789

>>2187540

have exactly the same problem/question, would be nice to get an answer

>> No.2188133

>>2187540
I've never been at a school with an "engineering physics" degree, but looking at their website, that looks like a very neat program.

It looks like it must be a very broad (maybe a bit too broad) curriculum. but really, aerospace is extremely multidisciplinary. so my only concern would be wondering if such a broad-sounding degree would hurt in getting jobs at graduation, but it looks like they address that with the "aerospace systems design option."

looks like a pretty ideal undergrad program for someone going into grad school.

i say go for it. spend a lot of time in your first year learning more about what the specific disciplines are actually like. you're going to be taking basically the same classes anyway, and changing major won't set you back at all.

>> No.2188227

How does this school look for Aerospace Engineering?
http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/academics/