[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 141 KB, 800x517, 16500feetmilkywaykc2_brunier800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2183096 No.2183096 [Reply] [Original]

anybody else here think the human race will never expand past our own solar system? IMO we'll be lucky to build a permanent colony on mars even if we sorted out all the problems here on earth. space is a very hazardous place, and traveling between objects seems unrealistic given the insane distances.

>> No.2183126

And they never thought we'd get to the moon.

>> No.2183149

And they thought it was impossible to travel faster than sound.

>> No.2183162

Hell's motherfucking yeah, but it will only be for the crazies. Those homo-sapiens willing to leave the home for a new one amongst the star, and ones crazy enough to warp their bodies into something for conquering the cosmos.

>> No.2183165

>>2183126
making a brief visit to a nearby satellite moon is quite different to sending human settlers and equipment to another planetary system many light years away with less than the speed of light.

i know it's cool to think we could do it, sci-fi is cool, but i'm too pessimistic to say it's doable.

>> No.2183208

"Ever" is a long time. Longer than space is big. Barring an extinction event that stops us, there's no reason we won't eventually expand beyond our galaxy, let alone our solar system.

Note that once we have a way to sustain 1g of acceleration, that will get us to the andromeda galaxy in 20 years (that's from the point of view of the space travelers. from earth it will look like it's taking 2 million years)

>> No.2183248

>>2183126
>>2183149
Scientific progress isn't guaranteed or even guaranteed to be possible.

I'm sure the Mayans thought that building pyramids and comprehending the stars was impossible at first. They managed to do it. Would you use the same "they never thought of it" argument for them, i mean, where are they now? Their civilization vanished and the people reverted back to stone age. it could happen to anyone.

>> No.2183262

THEY THOUGHT CONNECTING THE USA WITH TRAINS WAS TOO BIG A TASK LOOL

Don't worry, you're just another in a long line of myopic neanderthals.

>> No.2183272

we will travel everywhere eventually.

it can be done it just takes time and we have eternity

>> No.2183299
File: 7 KB, 200x177, omar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2183272
Problem, space-time, eternity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLMn3_SzBiU

>> No.2183298
File: 41 KB, 600x360, 1282695023707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, building space colonies in cislunar space is all we need, actually.

>> No.2183308
File: 281 KB, 800x600, 1291851172970.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The process of humanity expanding across Earth or expanding across our solar system will forever be totally distinct from out expansion beyond that.
Since the dawn of mankind, the Earth has become 'small'. We can communicate in seconds and transfer people and objects in hours. We have networked our world. Soon when we expand into the solar system, it may take hours to communicate between groups of people (because of the light speed limit) and months to transfer physical objects or goods. We will be able to do it but the disconnect will be decidedly greater. Each 'colony' must be prepared to stand on its own.

However this is small time compared to galactic expansion. Just speaking to each other will take many years. Transporting goods will take decades or centuries. The speed of light is a bitch, and the universe will stay insurmountably large, forever. Any pockets of people we manage to send to habitable systems will practically be forever lost as far as we are concerned. We would only be able to receive communication updates, albeit ten or fifty years too late.

Sorry OP. Just the way it is. Here, have a space Oekaki.

>> No.2183310

>>2183208
>Note that once we have a way to sustain 1g of acceleration, that will get us to the andromeda galaxy in 20 years (that's from the point of view of the space travelers. from earth it will look like it's taking 2 million years)
going at those speeds wouldn't a little space rock destroy the spacecraft upon impact?

>> No.2183314

>>2183310
We won't need to sustain 1 g if we modify our bodies.

>> No.2183324

>>2183314
>We won't need to sustain 1 g if we modify our bodies.
What are you trying to say here? Why would sustaining 1g be a problem? You have sustained 1g your entire life. Without it your bone structure would weaken in space.

>> No.2183331

>>2183308
>galactic expansion
you need to sit back for a second and ponder how long those distances really are. if interstellar is crazy, intergalactic seems absurd and pure sci-fi to me.

>> No.2183336

>>2183324
Yeah and why try work around biology that is meant for earth. We could modify our bodies to more easily travel in space. It's fairly pointless to galavant around the void with a body that's meant for a hunter gatherer life style.

>> No.2183343

>>2183314
yes and what about the rock hitting the craft? how do you avoid those?

>> No.2183356

>>2183336
forget that. let's send sentient machines instead.

>> No.2183360

>>2183331
I really meant interstellar, through our own galaxy. Traveling to other galaxies doesn't make any sense for us even if it was possible.

On another note, the line of thinking in my first post (space will always be 'big') was from some astronomy book and I suspect it is well known. Anyone remember an astronomy quote talking about this and who said it?