[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 35 KB, 445x599, 1277693655778.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2167182 No.2167182 [Reply] [Original]

Help me figure out what's wrong with my dad.

I believe he has some mental disorder, perhaps even brain damage. He told me once before he tested as being borderline retarded. The reason why told me this, was because we were arguing over whether or not science was credible, and he used that as an example to demonstrate the inaccuracy of it. I don't have to tell you how flawed this was.

He'll often call me. I don't know why. He doesn't like me, and I don't like him, but there are frequent arguments between us.

It's difficult, you see. I know it's fruitless to bother, but whenever someone is wrong, I feel like I need to correct them. Not out of arrogance, but more helpfulness, or at least that's how I see it in the moment. So when my dad told me an hour ago over the phone "I've been trying to ascend into an energy form" and I told him "That's not how energy works" an arguments was quickly stirred up. He believes -for some reason- that there's a type of energy that can form a body that's capable of consciousness.

What irks me is that he's never detailed why it would be an upgrade or "ascention" at all. I think he just believes it would be cool to have a body made out of energy. He refuses to go into details about anything about this, saying that I'm closed minded and "a servant of academia."

He holds that I'm the dumbest person he's ever met because I refuse to believe that gravity doesn't exist.

What is wrong with this man? I'm really hoping it's not genetic. I don't want to have children only for them to grow up and tell me that planes are stupid, and that they can levitate, just not when anyone is watching them.

>> No.2167195

You need more information, I'm sure.

If I could concisely describe him, it would be with an oxymoron. "Adult Child."

When I was younger. Really, really young. Perhaps 5 years old. I told my dad that I knew how to turn invisible. To this day he believes that I know how to turn invisible. On numerous occasions throughout my childhood he has accused me of using my "invisible powers" to hide from him.

My dad divorced my mom when I was young, and any application of my own well-being to his actions was met with the response "This isn't about you, it's about me." It seems he's not entirely capable of critical thinking, and I say that trying to be as tactful as possible.

He's told me a great number of stories about his childhood, and a re-occurring aspect is that he always tries to play himself as a victimized hero. An underdog who rises to the occasion. Except, he doesn't think very big when exaggerating things. He told me that until he was 11 years old, he has never aten a cooked meal or lived under a roof. His died consisted mostly of raw squirrel and stray cats, he says, and rather than drinking water, he drank the blood to keep himself hydrated.

He's told me that he's defeated groups of armed men in hand-to-hand combat. This from a man who is 5' tall(Being generous) balding, fat, and an alcoholic.

He doesn't have any friends, because people think he's crazy. He doesn't understand why that is, and so he thinks they're stupid.

>> No.2167208

Unskilled and Unaware of It

read it

>> No.2167213

You are a servant of the academia apparently, I wish your dad was my dad. We are the exact opposites in that matter.

>> No.2167214

The biggest clue I have is schizophrenia. I have Paranoid Schizophrenia, and so it wouldn't be outlandish to think my dad has some type of it as well.

That theory makes sense enough, but it doesn't fit to me. The way he thinks about things, his perceptions and the way he acts.. I would never even be close to that much of a mess, even if I got a hundred times worse.

I'm not asking for an accurate diagnosis here, just a roundabout guess.

>> No.2167223

>>2167208
Reading.

>> No.2167225

>>2167214
There is nobody after you, your dad is a good man. Your mom loves you. There are no aliens. We all obey the law. There are no cameras in your house. Nobody is watching you.

>> No.2167228

If you have paranoid schizophrenia, what makes you think it's your dad with the problems?

>> No.2167237

>>2167228
I'm the sane, he is crazy one.

>> No.2167247

>>2167228
0/10
>>2167182
>>2167195
Cripes on a Crutch. What is this retarded shit? I'd accuse you of making this up, but then it just looks like one of those things where truth is stranger than fiction....

>> No.2167252

>>2167228
Paranoid delusions aren't consistent, and come in waves. Sometimes very predictable ones.

I might think some crazy things at times, but that doesn't make me dumb.

It is, however, genetic. To some degree, anyway. So for me to have it, means it's likely one of my parents do as well.

>>2167225
It would be easy if I could believe that. Even if it makes sense now, I won't be thinking clearly later.

>> No.2167257

gravity? everything is magnetism
and so you think you know more about energy than your dad, big deal
why do you think anyone should care?

>> No.2167260

>>2167252
don't worry it's not like your dad is part of a secret organisation and hides something from you. he is just browsing around when he is late or strangely absent

>> No.2167270

>>2167257
Ah...no, gravity and electromagnetism are 2 distinctly different forces. Gravity acts between any 2 particles with mass, electromagnetism only effects magnetic or paramagnetic materials.

shush now, I want to see any other ways this guys dad is messed up.

>> No.2167273

>>2167223
>>2167208
This reminds me of people who are really bad singers, but for some unfathomable reason believe they're very good.

I hadn't thought the same flawed type of thought could be applied to other things, but thinking about it now, that does make sense.

So in other words, he's so stupid that he isn't capable of accurately judging how stupid he is. That's being very general, of course, but it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that he's bad at.. Everything. Really, very bad, and yet he believes he's good, and tries to teach me things that are wrong, and..

Oh, gosh. I feel like I'm playing a game, and after creating my character I play for several hours before realizing I've totally gimped everything, and yet I can't go back, and I can't remake that character, because the game I'm playing is real life, and I'm gimped because my dad is an idiot.

IQ isn't that heritable.. Right? I'm afraid now that I might be worse at the things I thought I was good at.

>> No.2167288

>He'll often call me. I don't know why. He doesn't like me,

Sounds as if he likes you just fine, and it sounds as if he tries. Also, dads aren't actually as indestructible and infallible as they seem when you're a kid. But they still miss the time when you listened to them as if what they had to say was important, no matter how nonsensical it may have been. He's not going to impress you with his science knowledge, so he goes other routes for the sake of having things to tell you.

Argue with him, or offer to take a science class with him. Buy him a book. Whatever. He likes you well enough.

>> No.2167291

>>2167273
You should probably try some standardized tests of some sort and see how you do on them, or have your abilities compared to other peoples by a neutral third party.

IQ potential is inherited, but you seem to take more after your mother. Of course, I must question her intelligence for marrying and bearing the spawn of this man....

>> No.2167307

>>2167291
>presents more like your mother
He hasn't mentioned his mother even once.

>> No.2167318

>>2167260
Ha ha. That's funny.

You dick.

Actually, for most of my life I didn't believe I had parents. I believed that I was a government experiment at breeding extra-terrestrials and humans. From that belief stemmed most of the delusions I've had throughout life, and it wasn't until -ironically enough- I reached adulthood that I started to realize that none of it was true. Of course, now I'm less in touch with reality, perhaps to compensate for that.

>>2167270
He's told me a lot of the things he believes. I don't know if he actually believes any of it. He said it like it was the truth to him, but.. I guess I'm a little optimistic to hope he can't really be that stupid.

A year ago, he told me that we were all the devil. True story, would you like to hear more?

He told me that through reading the bible and other religious works, he can only deduce that we're a supreme race of beings created by genies, and the creator of genies who had created the devil, was jealous that we were so much better than everything else, so they came to earth and possessed us, and that's why there's so much wrong with the world. He told me that the devil in us is different from our soul, and that our soul was actually us, and our body was just an avatar. Telling you this, I'm using more colorful words than he used, but rest assured he spoke it like he was telling me what he thought was the absolute truth.

>> No.2167322

>>2167307
Well, he's not like his father, so I presume he's more like his mother. I suppose I did overlook the possibility of him being not particularly like either parent.

>> No.2167325

>>2167318
There are two universes, he told me, and inside of those universes are an unlimited number of extra universes, and inside of both of these universes, everything has consciousness. He has this weird thing with consciousness, where he gets extremely angry whenever someone tells him something doesn't have emotions and thought. The thing is, he lets this belief affect OTHER people's lives, but not his own. If someone is throwing away a lamp they had for several years, he might be so inclined as to argue with them over their betrayal of their lamp, where on the other hand he is constantly destroying things that he STILL NEEDS. Not long ago he put his couch in his yard and lit it on fire, so that his ex-wife would "stop cheating on him."

>> No.2167332

>>2167322
OP has said he has paranoid schizophrenia. His stories about his dad are also indicative of delusions and irrational logic. But of course, you can't reliably come to any conclusion because of the OP's own mental condition. Anything he describes about his father is influenced by his own perception, which could easily have been polluted by his condition.

>> No.2167358

>>2167318
>>2167325
Well, if you're telling the truth, there certainly is SOMETHING wrong with your dad. Not a psychologist, so I can't say what specifically. I'd vote for general insanity.

>> No.2167363

>>2167291
My mother.. Well..

Let's just say I don't exactly have great chances as far as mental capabilities go.

She's not like my dad, but.. Well..

She has married seven different men, and six children which she constantly stole from to fuel whatever drug addiction she had at the time.

I'd say it's a miracle I'm not deformed and that I turned out as well as I did, considering what I came from. However, while my mom is definitely very, very dumb, her father/that line of that family is pretty decent, mentally.

My brother is just about on par with my own intellect, and he's a pretty smart guy.

I'd say I lucked out, to say the least, but as far as my direct biological parents, to my knowledge, I'm not at all similar to either of them. Physically features match, but mentally.. Entirely different.

My sisters are half-sisters. They're all pretty dumb. Not dumb like my dad, mind you, but compared to me and my brother, there's not exactly competition. My cousins, however, are all pretty smart. My mom has a brother, who has children that are all.. Strange. Autistic, maybe, though that may be unrelated.

>> No.2167370

>>2167332
Unfortunately, that's impossible to tell either way from your perspective. Let's just assume what I say is true.

>> No.2167395

OP your life is like an episode of Jersey Shore. More stories, more stories please.

Also do you think its possible that because you're a paranoid schizophrenic that none of what you wrote is actually true?

>> No.2167421

>>2167395
That's something I fear more than you or anyone else, I'm sure.

>> No.2167502

>>2167421

Why did your dad divorce your mum? It sounds like it would be the other way around; and how the fuck did they get together in the first place?

>> No.2167520

>whenever someone is wrong, I feel like I need to correct them. Not out of arrogance, but more helpfulness, or at least that's how I see it in the moment.
fellow INTP detected

>> No.2167565

> He believes -for some reason- that there's a type of energy that can form a body that's capable of consciousness.
Then he believes correctly. Atoms are made up of energy and atoms can form a human body.

Anyway, it sounds like he just spends too much time on the Internet. Take him out to play golf or something. It will be almost unbearable at first, but if you can get him to interact with the real world on a regular basis, he might come back to reality.

>> No.2168459

>>2167565
>atoms are made of energy

That is like saying rulers are made up of distance. which they are not. Measurable quantities are qualities of the object which you are measuring, not the objects themselves. You can't have anything made of energy, this energy has to be contained in something, whether it be the oscillations of a particle or a wave of some sort.

>> No.2168781

>>2167520
Fuck yes.

>> No.2168799

>>2167502
I don't know who initiated it, honestly. My dad claims it was his, my mom claims it was her.