[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 400x354, Human_Heart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2159389 No.2159389 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /sci/

This is my first time ever here so correct me if i'm wrong but some of you MUST know something about human biology.

If i had a second heart installed would it increase my stamina? Would i require 4 lungs to supply the oxegen? Would it extend my life?

>> No.2159402

bamp?

>> No.2159398

More hearts and lungs would mean a higher failure rate. It wouldn't extend you life, in fact, it would probably shorten it.

>> No.2159412

>>2159398
well shit. Thanks anyway

>> No.2159414

humans aren't designed to have two hearts. They would probably end up working against each other. There's no mechanism in teh body to have two hearts beat in tandem.

>> No.2159418

did you really just bump a thread one minute after making it?

counterbamp

>> No.2159422

>>2159418

sages don't work like that faggot, it only posts without bumping

>> No.2159431

>>2159414
what if there was some kind of regulator to ensure they beat in tandem?

>> No.2159436

>>2159422
yes... I know.

>> No.2159446

Since the capacity of your heart and your two lungs are closely related you'd probably need 4 or more lungs to fully utilize both of your hearts.
As the first reply said, you run an increased chance of lung or heart failure.

Obviously though, barring any other significant changes, living with one heart wouldn't be that big a problem, and neither would living with three, or two lungs be.

>> No.2159457

Won't having two hearts just counter each others direction of blood flow and pressure? I think having a bulkier and bigger heart's better than having two of it.

>> No.2161046

Let's assume there's a way to regulate everything and this all work's fine and dandy, wouldn't you just wear out your body twice as fast? For example, wouldn't you just use up mitochondria twice as fast? Not sure, but threw in my two cents...

>> No.2161053
File: 66 KB, 300x360, Who.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you had 2 hearts you'd live at least a few centuries before you needed to regenerate.

>> No.2161060

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,908982,00.html

>> No.2161062

If they were connected to the same pacemaker cells and the veins/arteries converged/diverged just after/before the hearts, then yes, it could work. You'd obviously need a little more room in your chest, but 4 lungs wouldn't be necessary. Each heart would only have to pump half as hard. Or, if you off-set their beats, they'd only pump half as often.

tl;dr: I think it could work just fine. The amount of air you need and blood you need to pump is based on your current physical activity, and if each heart/set of lungs sees only half the activity, then what's to stop it from working?

>> No.2161076

>>2159389

No, your body would probably suffer from hypertension and poor circulation at the same time.

>> No.2161089

>>2161076
>two hearts
>twice the pumping power
>suffer from poor circulation
Not a biologist of any kind, wanna explain?

>> No.2161160

>>2161089
shit would get jammed in the tubes

poor circulation

>> No.2161243

>>2159431
It would be better if they alternated beats, otherwise the systolic blood pressure would be seriously fucked up and you'd get aneurysms all the time.

It might be useful having a redundant vital organ, though. If one heart injures itself, your body goes into low-power mode; the other takes over the work while the original heals.

>> No.2161247
File: 36 KB, 258x464, abigailbrittneyhenseltwins11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh, hi there.

>> No.2161271

The Human Cardiovascular System is is essentially 2 pumps already- which work in tandem to supply both the pulmonary and systemic circulations. The beauty in it's current design is that it responds quickly to the demands of the systemic tissues and adjusts it's rate and stroke volume accordingly (See Frank-Starling Law). Adding another heart is redundant and makes the regulation of haemodynamic flow exceedingly more complicated without adding any conceivable benefits.

tl;dr. Stamina? No. That's limited by the aerobic capacity of skeletal muscle. 4 lungs? No. Oxygen Saturation in most people is already 95-100%. Extend your Life? Sure, if you keep the 2nd heart as a spare.

>> No.2161295

Won't work for three reason;

1. You don't even have enough blood total in your vessels for two hearts to even work properly. Most of your blood just sits in your venous system unless you are active.

2. If you had another 4 chambered heart you would need 2 more lungs for it to function properly.

3. The hearts would work against each other Because the they would cause backflow against each other. Two double circuits would also cause alot of turbulance in the vessels and give you very poor circulation.

Only way a second heart would work is if you had to separate cardiovascular systems.