[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 27 KB, 400x300, light-virus-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2148583 No.2148583 [Reply] [Original]

In senior biology im expected to think up a project for an extended experimental investigation. The only problem is that since the teachers been taking the class for about 10 years everything i've though of has already been done.

i can technically choose from anything as long as she approves however the majority of people choose bacterial growth plates ect.

i need a really good project, i was thinking something in virology, anybody care to contribute?

>> No.2148594

Quantitative and qualitative analysis of Virulence and pathogenicity of Vibrio Cholerae based on Cholera toxin prophage type.

lol jk, thinking of some cool ones brb.

>> No.2148599

a standard 1st year university experiment is quantifying the effects of Abscisic acid (ABA) and giberellic acid (GA) on seed germination and plant development.

>> No.2148607

>>2148599
Also, in my lab a lot of the time we transform arabidopsis plants and study the phenotypic effects with and w/o inoculation of plant parasites. You could grow wild type arabidopsis as control and concurrently grow arabidopsis and inoculate it with a parasite. In our lab we work with cyst and root knot nematodes. All the supplies are cheap (12 well plates, arabidopsis seed, nematodes), and the phenotypic effects of being parasitized are dramatic.

>> No.2148610

what kind of equipment/supplies do you have access to?

>> No.2148614

>>2148599

we already did that last year but thanks anyway. we only have 3 weeks to do the experiments in aswell unless i can collect data over the summer.

i'm headed to NY and DC, but i cant think of a project that involves the cold and me personally

>> No.2148623

>>2148610

we have a fairly standard lab with almost every chemical available. we also have access to a centrifuge, almost every chemical glass apparatus possible and we have about 4m squared to leave our project

she did mention its possible to do something with rodents but shed rather it didnt involve murdering them

>>2148607
that does sound pretty good but how quickly am i able to obtain results?