[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 283 KB, 500x500, cosmos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2136651 No.2136651 [Reply] [Original]

Here is a question you.

So a light year = the distance light travels in a year.

Some stars are millions of light years away

So my question is how are we observing this light 11 million light years away now?

I'm not millions of years old, i'm 19.

>> No.2136657

ovbioustrolling.jpg

>> No.2136656

Simple - we're actually seeing 11 million year old light. We see these star systems like they were 11 million years ago.

>> No.2136661

>>2136651

Google Redshift, you will learn how we are able to determine the age of the stars.

>> No.2136675

what a question! Yes, we know from the dates God gives us in the Bible that He did create the whole universe about 6,000 years ago. When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light-years away, but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it is really far away!

>> No.2136681

oh you guiz

>> No.2136683

>>2136675

TROLLOLOLOLOL

>> No.2136690
File: 32 KB, 294x294, 1289181093861.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/sci/ stop you are being trolled by this site.
http://fstdt.com/Top100.aspx

remember that rainbow thread? where someone thought you couldnt prove rainbows? that was a troll to from that website.

just ignore it.

>> No.2136692

omg there's an angel in that picture

>> No.2136693

>>2136690
oh u

>> No.2136697

I've always been slightly confused about this.

The limit of our observation is defined by the oldest observable light. But that light was emitted when the universe was much smaller and our sun was a twinkle in its daddy nebula's eye.

Got that.

The universe does not expand at light speed, so why didn't that ancient protolight hit the edge of space before we even formed?

Does it just keep traveling in curved space till it hits something?

>> No.2136702

I don't believe light travels at all, i've looked at various models and worked on many but none of it works. The basics of visual perception is often overlooked. When we look at something what is actually going on? The emission theory states that the light emits (not a travelling speed) from our own eyes not from the object we look at. The intromission theory states the opposite.

The emission theory is the most common sense, so i don't believe there is any speed of light. The 'Starlight Problem' has never been a problem for me and the YEC model. The earliest Church Fathers (2nd-4th century AD) who believed in emmision theory also had no problem with starlight and a young universe.

>> No.2136707

Google redshift and you'll be able to see how we theorize. (guess)

>> No.2136722

>>2136697

Answers on a post please. As if.

>> No.2136760
File: 93 KB, 425x319, planet express.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2136702

That sounds like how the propulsion system on the Planet Express ship works.

It actually doesn't travel through space. Rather, it remains stationary while the universe moves around it.

>> No.2136781

>>2136690
Quote# 65191

im christian
if we came from apes
how come were not hairy and have a big mouth
and did we end up looking like we do know
and besides
there isnt any serious proof of apes
they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest
that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store
know one ever cought an ape

luv4cs, Answerbag 177 Comments [9/1/2009 6:41:30 PM]
Fundie Index: 307
Submitted By: Grace

this killed me...

>> No.2136795

>>2136781

didn't read that one yet, that website is awesome. I'm laughing so hard I can barely breath

heres one wit ha good ending:

I was at an arts fair last weekend. I would estimate 43% of the attendees were homosexual. But it's not like I'm counting. CCW, a Murnak FIST holster and Glock 19 means you never have to worry about it.

So this artsy guy with a straw hat and sandals, you know the type, is slowly walking along the booths, pretending to eye the merchandise. Of course, I know what he's really eying. So I position my self among several tents, to maximize my public visibility, and when "he" comes along I engage him, "What exactly are you doing here?"

"I was hoping to find some pictures for my daughter's new apartment", he says. "Well, just keep hoping" I say, letting the bulge under my vest show prominently.

He got the picture. I checked with law enforcement later and they had no complaints of homosexual harassment at the fair that day.

>> No.2136805

Quote# 77240

You don't get it, do you?

We're not Homo sapiens -- we're real men.

>> No.2136806

>>2136697

This was not troll Q. Srsly, can noone shed light (ahem) on this?

>> No.2136835

>>2136806
because space is expanding faster than light

>> No.2136847

>>2136835
>because space is expanding faster than light
nothing can move faster than light

>> No.2136863

ok so the time it takes for a single unit of light to leave the surface of the sun and travel the millions of miles until it reaches your retina is about 7 minutes. so multiply that delay (the finite speed of light) by the much bigger distances to far away stars and you see why you can say that "the light from that star is 11 millions years old", for example.

>> No.2136871

>>2136847
Looks like someone didn't pay attention in cosmology 101.

>> No.2136875

>>2136847
empty space has nothing in it,
nothing can move faster than light,
ergo, empty space can move faster than light.

>> No.2136876

>>2136847
I was wondering about it (I know you should'nt be able to go faster than light but anyway)
1) Why such a limitation?
2) If light speed can be reduce (through water for instance) could it be possible to have a kind of fluid or anything with sort of negative friction coefficient for light?

>> No.2136878

Light was already on the way before you were born.
Looking far away = looking into the past

>> No.2136882

>>2136847
Wow fucking idiot.

It isnt faster in any 1 direction bit equal or slightly less at any given edge so on opposed sides the net expansion is far greater than the speed of light

>> No.2136903

In response to:
I don't get it. Why do many many on this board diss Earth Day? I helped volunteers plant nearly six thousand oak trees last Saturday at the Forest Preserve by my house.

But does planting trees help bring people to Christ? It's like going to third-world countries to feed the hungry. It doesn't do a starving man any good to keep him alive for another day if he's doomed to hell anyway. It doesn't do anyone any good to plant trees for people if they haven't heard about Jesus. The future of this earth is destruction....You don't "Bring people to Christ" with inanimate objects. He is knowable, but unless that tree becomes paper, and eventually a Bible, it will have no value in expressing how to know The Creator who made the tree.

Amazingly,there are real people who think like this...lol

>> No.2136907

>>2136876
1) the energy required to increase your speed as you reach the speed of light becumes more and more so it requires an infinite amount of energy to go faster than light. and if you go faster than light you go back in time wich couses a lot of problems

2) the speed of light in water is not slower, it only seems that way because the photons are absorbed and radiated by the atoms and electrons in the water, witch causes a delay.

>> No.2136916

>>2136903
waaat

>> No.2136953

>>2136882
>>2136875
>>2136847
>>2136835

Whether the distance between 2 points can expand FTL isn't so important to my question >>2136697

Fact is, even the largest (most distant) redshifts do not indicate FTL expansion. Ergo, when that ancient light was generated, the max expansion was even slower.

Therefore, again, how can we see light which would've been able to cross the entire universe at the time it was generated?

>> No.2137041

>>2136690
Well no one really has proven rainbows. You can't touch it or smell it or taste it, and when you try to walk towards it it starts to disappear.

>> No.2137132
File: 2.86 MB, 4096x2048, WMAP_2010.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2136953
>>2136697
No, whether two points in space can separate from each other FTL is very relevant to your question. I think you may be confusing the kind of redshift caused by relative velocity (i.e Doppler effect) with the kind caused by the expansion of space.

Space, as you know, is expanding. This isn't merely galaxies moving away from each other, but spacetime itself expanding, and the difference is crucial. If you emit a photon and have it travel over intergalactical distances, then the stretching of space will likewise result in a stretching of the photon. You could imagine a wave representation of the photon stretching out, so that it increases in wavelength. Redshift!

It is the same stretching of space that explains why light from the edge of the (observable) universe is still traveling towards us today. I like the analogy with the raisins in the bun. You have a bun made of dough, which is expanding (because you're baking buns nigger). The dough is spacetime. Inside of the bun are raisins, which will represent galaxies. Imagine that a raisin emits a photon in the direction of another raisin while the bun is expanding. Locally, the photon is moving away from its mother raisin. But all the while, the distance between the two raisins (galaxies) is growing, because the dough (spacetime) is expanding. So the photon will indeed move towards that other raisin, but only if the velocity of the photon can overcome the increase of distance between the two raisins will it ever reach its destination! If the distance is growing FTL, which it might, then the photon will never arrive. This is why the universe is larger than the observable universe.

And by the way, the light we see today is NOT from when the universe was just a little speck. It comes from the recombination epoch at the earliest, because before then, the universe was not transparent to photons. Pic related.