[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 184 KB, 1280x800, FusionEngine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2135903 No.2135903 [Reply] [Original]

What does /sci/ think about my fusion rocket? Would it work? Can I sell it to NASA for immense monies?

I apologize for shitty tablet handwriting.

>> No.2135930

That's pretty much your standard fusor, OP. Sorry.

Plus you actually have to work out the math and include the equations you used if you want to make NASA jealous.

Which is what I plan to do.

>> No.2135931

I assume it probably does work in concept, as this is not a break through idea.
Only a million engineering feats stand in the way.

Though I'm not a physicist.

>> No.2135934

>>2135931

Well, there's, of course, the problem of getting the wattage of the fusion plasma to exceed the wattage you pump into the lasers.

In a fusion reactor that could be achieved, but for a rocket, it doesn't change too much because you still have to get wattage from somewhere! And attaching an induction loop to the back of the nozzle is just going to reduce the thrust and specific impulse.

>> No.2135964

The idea was that the lasers were only needed for startup, the compression and heat from the magnets and standing wave did the rest.

Welp, guess I'm off to Wolfram Alpha to figure out what I need in the math department.

>> No.2136052

As I understand it, the advantage of fusion propulsion over conventional propulsion is the super-efficient conversion of energy -> thrust. If you needed a fission reactor (to provide the wattage for the lasers and inductors), it would still be more efficient than your conventional liquid fueled engine.