[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 159 KB, 1194x773, Sciencemotherfcker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2133754 No.2133754 [Reply] [Original]

PROVE ME WRONG!

>> No.2133770

Each atom is pushing the next atom in the pole, so it wouldn't be faster than light.

>> No.2133772

>>2133754
How fast do earthquakes move through solid rock?

>> No.2133773

>>2133770

Of course the atoms push against each other but it's instantaneous fool

>> No.2133777

>>2133773
No it isn't, troll.

>> No.2133778
File: 175 KB, 550x413, 1291165396702.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2133779

>>2133773
Then why does your picture say "With little delay?" Is it instant or not?

Put your ear on a desk. Tap on the desk with your finger. How fast do the SOUND WAVES travel through the desk to your ear?

>> No.2133786

If I push a pencil on one end it moves straight away, I dont have to wait for it to get its shit together it moves as soon as I push it

>> No.2133796

>>2133786
Prove it. Tell you what, if you tap on a concrete wall with a hammer, the whole thing moves a little bit.

With lasers and timers and shit, tap one side of a building and see when the other side vibrates.

>> No.2133803

>>2133786

None of the particles involved actually exceed the speed of light.

>> No.2133829

It's obvious though, cause and effect, basic science. A force on one end causes and equal and opposite reaction - the object moves.

ergo

you apply force on the tube and it would move, transmitting your message faster than light as light takes like 12 mins to get there

>> No.2133831

Atoms aren't totally solid objects. When you look at them really close they wiggle and the electron clouds overlap. When they get too close to one another they start to exert a force on one another that pushes them away. When they're part of a solid, they start to exert an attractive force that pulls them together when they start to get too far away.
They don't move instantly when they vibrate. That's why you can see binodal waves in solid pieces of metal. The atoms are moving away from each other and then snapping back, repulsing away, then snapping back, etc.
Explanation satisfactory?

>> No.2133842

Op you left out the troll face in your pic.

>> No.2133864

BS, if an object is solid its solid. its basic science, there are threee states that an object can be in: solid, liquid or gas. If an object is solid, its solid. It has nothing to do with atoms

>> No.2133868

You know, I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work. Why wouldn't this work?

>> No.2133871

The atoms colliding and pushing into one another in the pole is a longitudinal wave (eg sound) more or less.

Longitudinal waves travel at speeds much slower than c.

>> No.2133887
File: 6 KB, 178x179, mfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2133864

>> No.2133912

>>2133864
google "rigid body" and have fun being wrong.

also google "plasma" "Boss-Einstein condensate" among others

>> No.2133911

I'm an 8th grade science teacher and for the life of me I can't figure out why this wouldn't work. I know there must be a reason but I can't think what it is! :/

>> No.2133920

I am troglodyte that just learned how to type and for the life of me I can't figure out why this wouldn't work. I know there must be a reason but I can't think what it is! :/

>> No.2133924

>>2133864

>If an object is solid, its solid. It has nothing to do with atoms.

I lol'd

>> No.2133939
File: 4 KB, 256x217, 2.2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op may be on to something

>> No.2133949

So basic that it simply mus be correct, right? I mean, that stuff they taught you in grade 3 is the pinnacle of scientific knowledge.

>> No.2133958

I am Nobel laureate and for the life of me I can't figure out why this wouldn't work. I know there must be a reason but I can't think what it is! :/

>> No.2133974

I am Stephen Hawking and for the life of me I can't figure out why this wouldn't work. I know there must be a reason but I can't think what it is! :/

>> No.2133985

I am a The Large Hadron Collider and for the life of me I can't figure out why this wouldn't work. I know there must be a reason but I can't think what it is! :/

>> No.2133991

>>2133770
i find it a bit hard to swallow but OP might be on to something because his speculation is based on faster than light communication, not faster than light travel, which could in my mind make sense given that the no part of the line would travel faster than speed but the overall effect would be as Op says. I don't honestly consider my knowledge the best basis for this speculation, so i wouldn't be shocked to have it proven otherwise , but if it does work all we need to do is worry about the fact that earth and mars aren't syncronized in their orbit(s) at all times. lolz

>> No.2133996

I am a Jesus of Nazareth and for the life of me I can't figure out why this wouldn't work. I know there must be a reason but I can't think what it is! :/

>> No.2134007
File: 3 KB, 199x176, 1290027262840.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The next time you're in a pool (or near some water), stand a foot or two from the edge and "push" the water with your hands; the "push" doesn't reach the wall right away, but takes some time to get there. Essentially, your "push" initiates a wave in the water, that carries the push to the edge.
The exact same thing happens in solid objects; although you don't notice it, a "push" gets to the other side of a stick via a wave similar to that in water, and the more "solid" you make the stick the faster that wave goes.
...to the best of our knowledge, the maximum speed of a wave in a solid is the speed of light. So, even if you push and pull the stick instead of tapping it, you are still limited to transmitting information at the speed of light.

get a friend, and stand a few feet apart with a string between you and your eyes closed. Get your friend to shake one end of the string, and your job is to tell him when you feel the shake. When you're a few feet apart, you'll know "instantaneously", since the speed of the wave your friend is sending along the string travels much faster than a few feet in a second.
Now try the same thing, but on opposite sides of a football field.
The wave will take a few seconds to get to you, so there will be a delay between your friend's shake and your reaction. Now, if you take a string and make it more dense and rigid, you've got the stick in your example: the physics is the same.
It will take a finite amount of time for your tap to get from the Earth to Jupiter. What is the maximum speed that a wave can travel through your stick? The speed of light, of course.

>> No.2134008

vibration = sound
>implying sound is faster than light

>> No.2134033
File: 44 KB, 371x351, TROLLN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2134038

>>2133754
yep, will tap the plate with very little delay. but just imagine how much power would be needed for these robotic arms to move a pole (lightweight or not) that is as long as the distance from earth to mars. even if, say, the pole only had to touch a plate 1 meter away from its end, it would take the robotic arms more than a few minutes to move the pole which in turn would tap the plate. i may need a picture to properly show what i mean, but basically, op is a dumbass and needs 2lrnphysics.

>> No.2134046

>>2134007
The fastest that a particle can move is the speed of light. Particles collide when they transmit a wave.
Thus, each particle would have to collide with its neighbor perfectly without losing energy to maintain the wave traveling at the speed of light.
Thermodynamics essentially makes this impossible. Even if it worked that way, you'd still have something that functioned only as well as fiber-optic cables.

>> No.2134072
File: 7 KB, 230x304, 1290968536397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2134046
pretty sure that's exactly what i said...

i had half hoped you would have corrected the oversight that it was wasn't Earth and Jupiter, but Earth and Mars...but meh...what ever i guess

>> No.2134261

If you push one end of a pencil, the other end doesn't start moving instantaneously. The force travels as a wave through the pencil. The other end will start moving somewhere around 40 microseconds after the near end, which is much slower than the speed of light.