[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 164 KB, 1024x768, univ_hall03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2106431 No.2106431 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Things at university that piss you off.

For me it's the amount of pre-med assholes plaguing up the Biology faculty.

I'm a Physics major, but a lot of bio majors take the same chem class as me. What pisses me off about them is they see school as an obstacle to get into their career. They all study 'for the moment' meaning they don't do it out of interest. None of them can do math or physics to save their lives. None of them can do shit, which makes me wonder how did they make it into university...

I respect people who do biology for the sake of doing biology, but god-damn pre-meds are annoying.

>> No.2106441

All the people in my classes who think they're so much better than liberal arts majors because their major is so much more intense, then flunk out before they're even close to a diploma.

>> No.2106460

You can't complain at all.

I TA biology courses-- mostly intro levels ones where even fucking retards are still "pre-med".

Throughout the entirety of the semester, I want to explode on them. They don't want to learn anything about anything unless it is about the human body. Most of them cry about "unfair questions" and will hoard your office hours to argue about a half-point that they missed. There are no redeeming qualities about 99% of all pre-med students.

Most pre-meds act like they are hot shit. I still cannot decipher why. They incessantly remind their classmate they are pre-med and act entitled to respect and good grades. Never mind the fact they are absolutely-fucking-stupid. They are pre-med and the best shit to grace our campus.

tl;dr pre-meds are nothing more than undergrads with ego problems and average grades.

>> No.2106483

>>2106460

OP here,

What school you TA at?

That's exactly how pre-meds act here in BC Canada. The 'top students' throughout high school always did that, and by going to university, I thought I would get away from that. They're at university pulling shit like that.

>> No.2106490

>>2106441
Sounds like a board I visit.

Seriously though, anyone who feels entitled to respect because of their major or concentration irritates me. Show some humility, dammit.

>> No.2106495

>Most pre-meds act like they are hot shit.

Ugh, don't even get me started. They are worse than us engineering students.

>> No.2106512

>>2106483

I won't say the school I am at. It is a mid-tier public school.

There is nothing that can be done about pre-meds. For some reason, western culture sucks the metaphorical dick of medical doctors. Their science is reduced mainly to statistics and "patient" responses (ie subjectivity) while they make bank being nothing more than mechanics of the human body. It is in the box thinking.

We need a cultural revolution. One where scientists and engineers are lauded more than people who need to look in a book to figure out what antibiotic you need.

>> No.2106520

>>2106512
Engineers are money-loving faggots too. We don't need a cultural revolution, just a huge dose of realism.

>> No.2106531

>>2106495

OP here again,

Engineering students aren't too bad. Most of them actually take interest in what they're doing. I know a few of them who actually take heavy interest in mathematics.

'(any science/math) iz hard" is all you'll hear from pre-meds.

>> No.2106534 [DELETED] 

>>2106512
>We need a cultural revolution. One where scientists and engineers are lauded

Hahahaha but you believe supernatural claims without evidence! Be careful what you wish for...

>> No.2106545

>>2106534

>Hahahaha but you believe supernatural claims without evidence! Be careful what you wish for...

NOPE.avi

>> No.2106547

>>2106534

>you believe supernatural claims without evidence!

I never said this and your statement is patently false.

protip: never go full retard.

>> No.2106550

I'd consider myself a pre-medical student (chemistry major) but only say so if asked (lol what a hypocrite I am). I hate the other premed idiots just as much as the next guy.

>> No.2106563

Bio student here. Hate premeds with a passion. Can't wait to start TAing so I can troll the living shit out of their grades.
Granted, I have more respect for bio premeds than premeds in other studies. At least bio is RELEVANT.

>> No.2106574

Anyone who identifies themselves first as pre-med is a pretentious cock-sucker.

First, pre-med is not a major. When someone asks what you go to school for, you don't say "pre-med", you say your major. No one says "I am pre-PhD" because that sounds retarded. Saying "pre-med" as your first descriptor is just as stupid.

It is merely a way to sound impressive. If you're pre-med, your uneducated family and hometown friends back home will think you're smart and will be a doctor someday.

This stupidity of being "pre-med" needs to be stomped out.

>> No.2106592

Premed fag here. OP is right on the money, they're all a bunch of tards that think they're hot shit. They constantly whine about how hard classes are when the stuff is easy as long as you're willing to put an ounce of effort in to it. And the superiority complex they have is fucking retarded.

Yeah, fuck premed kids.

>lulz but ur premed

Fuck off, we're not all retarded.

>> No.2106618

>>2106592
Yes you are. The fact that you felt the need to defend an indefensible academic atrocity is proof that you are, in fact, retarded.

You even identified yourself first and foremost as pre-med. That's bullshit.

>> No.2106637

>>2106618
U jelly the premeds are gonna be making 6 figures gauranteed while you're stuck in your little research lab 24/7 for 25k a year?

>> No.2106659

>>2106460

Trying to imagine whether you would be the bro TA or a faggot.

Fun to imagine these things

>> No.2106664

>>2106637

This statement is troll material.

Chances are, 1/10 pre-meds will make six figures. The others will switch majors, drop out, or an hero.

There is nothing special about being pre-med. You're a fucking undergrad until you get into med school. Even in med school, you're a fucking student until you can pass your board exams.

To repeat: there is nothing special about being pre-med. There is no paperwork, no entrance exam, no check-ups-- merely self declaration.

>> No.2106675

>>2106659

It depends on the student and the day. If you're the kind to skip class and have the audacity to ask for EC assignments, I am "the faggot".

If you're the kind who sits and class and looks bored, but aces the exams and can talk about shit while being intelligent, I am "the bro".

>> No.2106690

>>2106675
What about the non pre-med guy who tries hard but struggles with the material? Please tell me you don't ride on this guy.

>> No.2106692

>>2106431
I'm a Neurobiology major looking to do research, and I can't stand them either. That we even have our doctors doing a premed is stupid - England has doctors going to med school right out of high school, and they have comparable diagnosis rates to the US, at half the cost (though there are unrelated problems in their system). The premeds here game the sysyem, cheat, lie, and steal to get good grades, rather than learn the content, fucking the curve for those of us with a desire to learn the material rather than get the highest GPA for med school.

>> No.2106702

>>2106692
Same shit with law school. I'm in poli sci (don't laugh) and I have to deal with pre-law assholes all day. Law should be an undergraduate option.

>> No.2106707

>>2106483

Also BC here. Join eng, after a few years nobody's really big shit anymore, we're all just worn down. I find the people who are actually good are pretty humble about it, which is nice. Even the average/lower students still like what they do. Oddly, the mining guys, who you expect to be total whores, seem to love what they do the most.

>> No.2106719

>>2106690

Hell no. The student who tries hard and is struggling gets my sympathy. I feel like an asshole when I know someone put in a lot of effort and is barely pulling a C.

I do a lot to help those who seek it (my contract says I work 20 hours a week but I will put in extra time with no pay to help those who try and want it).

As long as the pre-med isn't reminding me s/he is pre-med while I help him/her, I don't mind helping at all.

>> No.2106742

>>2106719
Nice. That's brotastic.

>> No.2106749

>>2106702
Or pre-business. We have lots of those at Berkeley, and god do they whine. The other day one of them was talking to me about how they complained to the prof, and got their grade pulled up from a C to an A, and using the switch to illustrate how unfair the original grade was. I was this close to telling the bitch that her essay was crap and the prof only raised the grade because the entitlement these kids feel they have means giving them a bad grade results in a clusterfuck of moaning and complaining.

>> No.2106753

>>2106441
I actually hold a bit of respect for liberal arts majors, at least they come to college to learn, rather than just to say they went to college.

>> No.2106767

>>2106753

protip: change your tripcode. I am a master of tripcodes.

Your password is #twitter.

Just sayin'.

>> No.2106781

>>2106767
Holy crap, how did you do that?

>> No.2106782

>>2106781
Dictionary attack perhaps?

>> No.2106788

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5X64QCDVnI
/thread

>> No.2106790

Gen-fucking-eds piss me off.

I wish there were Vo-tech EE.

I swear the people in my gen-ed classes have an IQ 40 points below everyone in my engineering classes.

>> No.2106791
File: 58 KB, 869x322, Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 1.20.32 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106781

pic related. if your tripcode sucks, I can see it.

>> No.2106797

>>2106781

and you changed your PW to #respect

>> No.2106802

>>2106791
und?

>> No.2106808

>>2106749
I know how you feel. The worst time of year is recommendations season. It's impossible to get in at office hours for actual discussion without being interrupted by brown-nosers. The American system can really piss me off sometimes.

>> No.2106811

>>2106802

cool tripcode. here is Barack Obama saying hi.

>> No.2106814

>>2106797
Wow, thats pretty amazing...
How did you make your browser do that?

>> No.2106815

I approve of this thread.

The thing that pisses me off most about university is when the lecturers write exams that are alot more challenging than previous semesters. You go through a bunch of previous exams, feel pretty confident, then get raped on the actual test.

When the math department doesn't give solutions to the weekly tutorial questions. I don' mind if it's just the answer and they don't include the working, but I at least want to know if my answer is correct.

>> No.2106817

>>2106802
...not me...

>> No.2106824
File: 305 KB, 1280x800, Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 1.25.40 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106814

I won't say shit.

But pic related: it's how I do it.

>> No.2106830

>>2106824

And I know the PW is showing; I don't give a shit about this name and tripcode.

>> No.2106852
File: 78 KB, 1138x290, Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 1.30.46 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here is moot's trip for fun.

>> No.2106853

Hey, what's my tripcode?

>> No.2106862
File: 19 KB, 557x117, Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 1.32.31 AM 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106853

You're not a newfag, so I can't tell.

Pic related.

Also, I hate reverse text; it fucks with my scripts.

>> No.2106866

>>2106431
>Things at university that piss you off.

Asians.
Swarms of them.

>> No.2106870

>>2106862

Can it crack secure trips?

>> No.2106873

>>2106870
It's just rainbow tables faggots
Ignore the script kiddy

>> No.2106878
File: 20 KB, 486x142, Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 1.35.46 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106870

Yes.

Pic related, fatty.

>> No.2106891

>>2106878
awesome.

>>2106873
I'm aware trips are easy to crack I just didn't know they had a grease monkey extension out for it.

>> No.2106899

>>2106891

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/68857

download it.

>> No.2106929

Just testing trips, also did you write this script yourself or just download?

>> No.2106965

Decided to get rid of my backwards name/trip so that I can be a bit normal now and so that everybody can see my trip

>> No.2106969

>>2106965

Wtf. I did not expect that...to happen...

>> No.2106972 [DELETED] 

meh meh

>> No.2106986

Excuse them for wanting to make money

>> No.2106991

>>2106431
Fucking professors that can't figure out how to use the controls for the lights, projector and dot cam. They always spend like five minutes fucking around before saying "Oh well. Never mind."

>> No.2106999

I would have to agree with the hate for pre-med majors. They treat basic chemistry classes like it's the hardest thing in the world. If you show them any type of math equation they flip their shit. Especially the ones that are failing the class horribly and they still think they'll get into med school.

I hate asshole pre-engineering students that think engineering requires no work. I was sitting in an engineering physics class that someone behind me started cursing at the professor when he mentioned you have to do homework.

The thing I hate the most are asshole department heads that talk down to everyone and cause your department to lose funding from the school because of it.

>> No.2107006

The fact that non-scientific departments get funding.

>> No.2107090

>>2106999

>implying engineering is hard
>implying Mathematics is hard for non Maths degree
>implying you have to work for a engineering degree.

Engineering is one up from manual labour. Stupid Oompa Loompas.

>> No.2107161

>>2107090

Are your only friends other elitist math majors? Are you planning to marry a female elitist math major?

>> No.2107279

>>2107161
I'm gay.

>> No.2107453

>>2107279
acknowledged, moving on.

>> No.2107461

>>2107090
It really depends what your engineering major is and what year you're in, honestly. Grad students especially don't get it easy.

>> No.2107480

Women's studies. Qualitative research. Multiculturalism. Cancers that are killing academia.

>> No.2107499

>> No.2107515

Neuroscience major here intending to go to grad school.

Pre-meds piss me off if only because they do not care about science AT ALL. I'm fine with people bitching and complaining about classes; that's student life and I've yet to have a class in any department where the students taking it didn't bitch about something. Rather, what pisses me off is that pre-meds consider learning anything a waste of time unless it has to do with human disease. They consider all theoretical research to be stupid and that only clinical research matters.

What's worse is that because my university is a top-ranked med school just about every bio and neuroscience major (and probably 3/4 of the chem majors) are pre-meds. As a result, all the professors have to cater to their interests in classes. Thus, instead of getting to learn about interesting stuff regarding healthy systems, I get to learn about disease X and disease Y, or how this topic we're covering ties into treating disease Z.

There really needs to be an overhaul of the system, if only because all these people then get their MDs and proceed to become horrible doctors because they don't see any value in scientific research. I'd much rather see a medical researcher for any ailments since those people are actually fucking competent and can fucking think about each patient's case instead of immediately flipping through book to find a diagnosis and treatment.

>> No.2108762

>>2106999
>>2106999
>>2106999

>If you show them any type of math equation they flip their shit.

FUCKING THIS. Doing basic thermodynamics in chemistry, find reaction constants, you need to solve a simple differential equation. I just memorized a general form with [...]^n, and everyone else memorized all 10+ formulas.

Fucking seriously...

>> No.2108780

>>2108762

And when I'm talking about that, I'm taking about this:

Take A as you concentration,

dA/dt = -kA^n

Use your A coefficient, seperate and solve for whatever you need.

God damn.

>> No.2108794

>>2108780
in fairness, a lot of universities don't require any calculus as a prerequisite to chemistry, so some of students who see that stuff and didn't take calc in high school won't know what to do and have to memorize it.

>> No.2108798

That my school paints a vivid rosy picture of how awsome and ambitious all the courses are. You read the course descriptions on the homepage and it's like 20% lectures and 80% practical, you'll be learning shit by doing here!

In reality it's 90% lectures and 10% practical. And no, the lectures ain't good, someone who barely knows english or the subject they teaches that reads straight off a powerpoint slide is fucking unacceptable.

>> No.2108824

>mfw Ameritards have "premed"

enjoy graduating with your medical degree in your late twenties, I 'll have mine when I'm 22.

>> No.2108879

Team work with a premed. Drawing crap we see in the microscope.

Herp de derp I draw them doing a musical dance number.

Teacher takes a few points off. Reason? "U R ONLY A FEW YEARS AWAY FROM REEL LYFE! OMG THE SPECTRE OF DEATH HAUNTS ME."

Premed guy flips out. The grade was 90%

Trollface.jpg

>> No.2108898

>>2108879
lol

>> No.2108900

>>2108798
same here. that bugs the crap out of me. i've had like one relevant lab class ever.

>> No.2108904

I wish I had even more time to study things in depth, I catch myself during damn vacations reading up on demonstrations and propositions that the teacher simply decided to skip because it's only important to apply shit to silly models that I can't even make up myself without years of experience anyway.

>> No.2108906

>mfw my field has no pre-anythings to shit up the system
>every lab is relevant and provides real world experience
>all TAs and professors are bros, lectures aren't boring
>glorious CS master race

And before you start with the "code monkey hurr" bullshit, I'm a master's student TAing an undergrad class this semester. No cubicle work for me.

>> No.2108914

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Just the other day I was having this conversation with a bio major. I wasn't sure if the whole pre-meds are the worst people in bio thing was specific to my university or if it was universal. I have heard this from a good number of bio students ( the ones who are in it to actually study bio). I am also surprised by many people that consider then selves pre-med. I remember hearing this one girl at my university who said she wanted to go to med school and was studying kinesiology. I'm glad to know this is not specific to my school.

>> No.2108920

Right now I hate useless subjects. I'm in engineering, and I can safely say that at least 1/6th of what I've learned is for all purposes useless knowledge, especially considering the direction I am going.

>> No.2108939

>>2108920
Maybe you should have done Glorious Aerospace Engineering

>> No.2108953

>>2108920
No knowledge is useless. Ten years from now you'll see something and go "Hey wait... I've seen this before!" Steve Jobs founded Apple because he thought he could make a computer with better fonts and interface. Unlike every other engineer, he had taken a class on fonts, letters and editing. But he didn't know he could build a better computer when he took that class, he just liked the alphabet!

But not all knowledge can be turned into bling, I'd agree with that.

>> No.2108959

As an observation, 'premed' students in the UK are far more intelligent and qualified than students in the US. Here they pile on the technical stuff thick and fast in college (which we take from 16 - 18 years old in A levels) to see whether you're actually cut out for hard science.

Anyone who isn't never gets to call themselves premed.

>> No.2108970

>>2108959

Here in B.C. Canada, it's every asian kid in Biology/Chemistry/Biochem/Molecbio/Kinesiology.

It's hilarious whenever an asian drops out of bio, they go to business. Every one of them.

>> No.2108975

Liberalism, secular humanists, progressives, neoconservatives, hipsters and yuppies.

>> No.2109002

>>2108970
I'm from BC too, honestly 90% of what's being said about premeds could be said about our asian students.

>> No.2109007

BioNanosystems Engineering major here, It's funny, because most pre-meds and engineering students that act like that......wait for it...............don't make it. Anyone who is only in it for the money will likely be only half-ass at what they do and ironically will make no money because of it. We have this great little thing in our world called natural selection so don't get all of your elitist little britches in a wad, everything works out, and if it doesn't, than quite frankly we are all fucked as a species. The great part about failing as a species though is that we will all be dead and not exist so that we won't have to know we failed! see? Life is a lot nicer than most people make it out to be.

>> No.2109035

Religious student organizations.

>> No.2109041

>>2109035
agreed. INCLUDING atheist/agnostic student organizations. they're all pretty shit, at least in my experience.

>> No.2109050

>>2109041

Oh man, don't even get me started on those "Free-Thought Societies". The only decent organization I have personally encountered at my university is the Astronomy Club.

>> No.2109058

every university and their mom is latin and ancient out the ass. like being old is something to be proud of, when it makes your buildings look like ugly hunks of shit to everyone but the old and arrogant who said "I was there when it was built!" and tell you stories about the friends he played in the lumbermill with when he was a boy and how they did illegal things there.

>> No.2109070

For the people who hate premeds, find some solace knowing that the students who do get into medical school eventually usually are bros that are taking an UG they are interested in and just want to apply their knowledge they learnt from their UG to the field of medicine. My experience is that most "pre-meds" die out after 1st and second year after they realize that they are going to need a 45T to counterbalance their shitty GPA despite all of their wasted nights of bitching to the TA (seriously, go to any premed forum online and I assure you that you will see a least 10 thread about "My Chances with 3.03 GPA", always good for a laugh).

>> No.2109209

Britfag here. Not really pissed off at anything. But these titillate me,

Young Conservatives - It's not supposed to be a starting point.

Musical tribalism - Be unique, wear a uniform!

Hearing for the nth time, "you're quite smart, aren't you?" (I cum fer Dem)

The lard ass who sat in front of me in QM/MATHIII - If you're going to lean forward for the entire class, exposing your builder's crack, It's going to be target practice for rolled up Rizla et al.

>> No.2109239

>>2109209

Another Britfag here. Young Conservatives piss me off too.

>> No.2109308

>>2106788
summary of the whole thread

>> No.2109318

>>2109058
Well, my university was founded in the 15th century and still has some quite nice gothic buildings. But I guess thing're a bit different in the USA.

What bothers me most:
Bitches who do nothing than complaining about the difficulty of the exercises, often before they've even read the questions.
AND SCREAM AT EVERY BIT OF MATH!

>> No.2109321

>>2109209
Builder's crack? You mean plumber's crack right?

>> No.2109332

Like 6 people in my quantum theory class.
I sit in the corner like the anti-social faggot I am.
150 seats in lecture theatre.
Some fucking gigantor 7ft blonde bitch sits directly infront of my between me and the board.

>fucking university didn't build the math lecture theatre with tiered seats.

>> No.2109348

any undergrad bio course

easy

>> No.2109353

oh and also

math phobia..

i have seen this even from PhD candidates.

>> No.2109357

>>2109321

Only ever heard it called builder's crack. Does it matter?

>> No.2109360

>>2109357
Yeah, you called it the wrong thing.

>> No.2109366

>>2106788

Tyson, Tyson, oh man. You a cool nigga, but you can't dress for shit. Ugly as hell waistcoat. Don't wear a belt with a waistcoat, wear braces so the top of your trousers aren't visible below the vest. FFS nigga, you suck.

>> No.2109367

Builder's bum is an acceptable substitute though.
Never heard builder's crack.

>> No.2109368

>>2109360

Oh, I forgot to add pedants to my list.

>> No.2109410

britfag here, whats the deal with premeds?

in the uk medicine is an undergrad course, though you can do an accelerated version as a graduate (1 year mainly theory instead of 2). how does it work over the pond in comparison?

>> No.2109434

>>2109410
First you get a bachelor's degree (typically requires 4 years of undergrad). It can be in any subject (and med schools over here actually prefer that it be as far removed from science as possible because they want "diverse" applicants instead of nothing but biofags) but you still have to take a bunch of courses that almost always required by med schools. Those courses are typically intro bio, general chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus I and II, and intro physics (can be trig or calculus based). In addition most students also take a few more classes like molecular cell biology, human physiology, and genetics to better prepare for the MCAT. The MCAT being an admissions test for med schools that tests you on all of the sciences (especially biology obviously), calculus, and English.

After all of that you apply to med school. The process takes about a year and a half which means that most pre-meds apply in the second semester of their third year. Assuming you get accepted somewhere you then attend med school which lasts for another four years, with three years being made up of classes and the fourth year being an internship with a doctor in your field of medicine.

After you graduate med school you then do residency which lasts for another two years and is pretty much your hands-on education. Then you apply for licensing and after that you're finally a doctor.

>> No.2109442

>>2109353

depends on what level of math you're talking about

>> No.2109445

to me, most premeds are no better than people in business

>> No.2109475

Math major master race reporting in.
My main grievance would be with students who
aren't interested in their subject material, and are going into their profession for the socio-economic status. Really annoying.

>> No.2109492

>>2109475

yes why can't they all like what you like.
this thread is full of butthurt at other people. why can't you all just live your own life? why is 4chan full of whiners?

>> No.2109527

Students with a sort of 2D personality who are not much willing to cooperate with other students in tutorial sessions. These people ruin the whole purpose of tutorial sessions, by just focusing upon themselves and their 2 - 3 friends in their tutorial session.