[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 2 KB, 210x187, 1272419602301.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2105401 No.2105401 [Reply] [Original]

ive always wondered why we need to learn math at school, or any equation for that matter, /sci/ could you please explain to me why we still use our brains instead of using calculators in school, its so much easier and more efficient

>> No.2105407

we need to be able to do math without the help of machines once the robots rebel and become our overlords

>> No.2105406

Because we aren't always carrying calculators around with us.

Also - a lot of maths is taught not because you will acutally need to factorise quartic equations, but because it teaches lateral thinking and the ability to think a problem through and then solve it - both very valuable skills.

>> No.2105413

Calculators are only a very small part of maths. Once you get out of highschool it will become a lot more clear.

>> No.2105415

Calculation =/= Mathematics

They are completely different things bro.

>> No.2105421

>>2105407
ya but instead we should learn other stuff that is more important and let calculators do all our thinking

>> No.2105428

I've always wondered who'd win a drinking competition between a grown man and an orangutan.

>> No.2105442

>>2105428
me 2, we could laern that in school except learning calculator

>> No.2105931

It helps develop your brain.

>> No.2105948

>>2105428
Men, because orangutan's have never drank before. They willg et fucked up easily.

>> No.2105955

we sent people to the fucking moon using slide rules and computers that used gears.

you still have to program the computer. you still have to be able to interperet and command the already programmed computer.
admittedly, being able to crunch numbers like you do when you are in 1st and 2nd grade (multiplying, dividing, fractions, etc) is a waste of time...

it would be much better to start learning more advanced mathematical concepts than seeing if you can multiply 50 numbers in less than 2 minutes (they did this at my elementary school)

on the subject of geomtery/trig...

it specifically important in relation to physics:

you will often be asked to evaluate integrals that involve expressions that can be simplified using trigonometric relationships...

this is actually a big deal, because in actual application of mathematics you can rarely look up a "simple" integral in a table (Real life integrals are rarely simple enough to be applicable in this case).

it is usually only after several simplifications to the integrand that you THEN look up the integral in a table.

solving ODE/PDE is already relegated to the back burner. sure, you learn about some specific examples of methods/toolds: greens functions of simple ODEs, fourier expansion of time domain forcing functions in a HO ODE, solutions of the Laplacian on a sphere/ball (associated legendre polynomials), hermite, laguerre, bessel functions, Lebesgue integrability, fininite/infinite vector spaces, etc.

realistically this barely scratches the surface of applied mathematics and ODE/PDE theory....

pick up a graduate level PDE text sometime and realize how little you know about the subject, even if you are a BS physicist or chemist.

the surprising thing, in my opinion, is that you DONT learn about numerical methods for solutions of ODE/PDE as a REQUIRED mathematics subject as a chemist or even a physicist...

it isnt even required for a BS in math.

>> No.2105977

You have two options:
1. Develop a more advanced calculator that can solve all problems, even those which any human has yet to figure out, and can be carried around and instantly access, or prehaps implanted into our brains
or
2. GTFO

>> No.2105989

>>2105401
you need to know how math works to even be able to ask the calculator how to solve the problem. hell, I use mathematica all the time while doing my homework, and it can solve complex integrals in a fraction of a second, but it still takes me at least an hour to do all my work. and then you need to be able to know what the answer means, which is especially important in physics and chemistry and the like.

>> No.2105992

If you don't understand how to do it manually, you're very unlikely to be able to understand it.

I am going to assume you haven't gotten very far in math, you can't even do basic algebra entirely in a calculator.

Once you get to something vaguely half complicated like calculus a calculator is almost useless a lot of the time.

Seriously, what the fuck do you think would happen if kids couldn't add manually and could only do it with a calculator. Their critical thinking and problem solving skills are going to be close to none.

What you said is analogous to:

>ive always wondered why we need to learn english at school, or any language for that matter, /sci/ could you please explain to me why we still use our brains instead of using word processing, its so much easier and more efficient

>> No.2106007

wouldn't it be good to understand how the calculators arrive at the answer they give? if you did you wouldn't be lost if you didn't have a calculator

>> No.2106008

OP poses 2 question:

>Why we need to learn math at school?
Essentially, an industrial society requires the skills to calculate in terms of time, money, and work to achieve efficiency and highest productivity. Its fairly basic in terms of mathematical skill, but education puts this at minimum.

>Why do we still use our brains instead of using calculators in school?
You should always be using your brain when doing math. Knowing how to use a calculator doesn't teach a person how to solve real-life problems and apply the appropriate skills.

The truth is, you will end up relying on technology for reducing effort on procedures, and that is fine since autonomy is technology done right. Schools should familiarize students with technology beyond the ti-85, and also take advantage of media that allows for a more engaged learning experience.

>> No.2106023

Well, basic math, such as addition, subtraction, etc. should be taught but after you understand it you should be given a calculator throughout the rest of your life.
But equations =/= basic math.
You need algebra, calculus, etc for real life shit, yo.

>> No.2106040

>>2106023

I disagree.

Simple operations are often faster calculated mentally.

With practise one can outperform a calculator user with ease.

>> No.2106052

I can very easily do basic arithmetic in my head faster then you can enter it into a calculator. I often neglect to use a calculator while doing calculus. It's rarely needed.