[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 166x92, ATHE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2105373 No.2105373 [Reply] [Original]

Would you rather God existed? I'm an atheist but I can't help but kind of wish there was a god... one who gave people an afterlife of course.

A neverending life in paradise is pretty undeniably sweet, and I totally wish it existed. But then of course I also wish faster than light travel, unicorns, and magic genies existed. Unfortunately we get the universe we have.

>> No.2105397

no

Infinity is a fucking long time and everybody would get insane after a couple hundred years. I'd want to kill myself even though I'm dead.

Afterlife seems horrible

>> No.2105417

a benevolent god, sure. i mostly couldn't care

>> No.2105418

Anyone who has deeply thought about it enough will come to the conclusion that death is a gift.
I hate the idea of a God itself, authoritarian.

>> No.2105422

No, I would not want a God to exist. I cannot see how a society where you can be persecuted for thought crimes is enjoyable. It is much a kin to North Korea except for the fact that you can actually die and leave North Korea.

>> No.2105423

Well, no, actually. I like my own thoughts to remain a secret.

Second, if the various holy books around the world are to be believed, gods are mostly assholes - with a few exceptions (prometheus, for example)

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

>> No.2105431

No, fuck god.

>> No.2105439

>>2105373
Something to take care of the rising entropy of the universe would be nice, though of course that's more of a long term need.

>> No.2105448

>>2105397
+1
At least someone who thinks like me. Sure, I'd like to live a shitton of years. But an eternity? That's fucking bullshit.

>> No.2105451

>>2105422

Exactly, no escape from a universe ruled by God and you can't even escape by death. While everything we know about God or Gods has shown him to be extremely unjust and corrupt. Seems like the perfect hell to me.

>> No.2105484

Maybe some kind of Morgan Freeman type God. But... I dunno. I feel like finding out that "God did it" really is the right answer would be extremely disappointing. It's like reading a great novel and wondering how all the seemingly unsolvable problems are going to be resolved and whatnot, and then there's just a huge deus ex machina to slap you in the face in the final chapter. Completely unsatisfying.

>> No.2105489

I think that whatever happens when we die will be so completely indescribable, no one can possibly fathom its implications. sounds kinda hippy-ish, but I think that this existence is just a holographic projection onto 3d from some higher dimensional space (possibly the 11 predicted by string theory) and that maybe the universe is conscious as a whole, and we are all just little pieces with an illusion of individualism that return to the whole when we die. sounds kinda stupid, I know, but it just... feels right.

>> No.2105498

fucking pantheists taking quantum physics and turning into bullshit.

>> No.2105496

Anyone who says no is lying, the whole reason religion is so prominent is that humans naturally want to have a god looking after them, people want to see their dead loved ones, people want to think there is a purpose to all the shit in the world.

Just because you don't believe in god doesn't mean that deep down you don't want to believe

>> No.2105501

>>2105496

You have obviously never heard of christopher hitchens.

The man's convincing.

>> No.2105544

Sure. Even the biblical god. It'd make the world a much crazier place.

>> No.2105546

>>2105496
Religion was never a part of my life so it's not like I finally realised one day that what I believed in was not true and that no god was there to look for me, I just learned one day that some people (mostly the elderly) believed in god and that made their life better (because they we're traumatised as children into believing in him). So no, I never felt the need for a god to look out (threaten me of horrible pain if I don't obey) as I was not brainwashed into believing I needed to.

It's like how you can't miss something you never had. On the other side, I understand how someone who once was religious might feel empty if they discover that god is a lie.

>> No.2105554

atheist here

absolutely would love to go to paradise when i die

would also like to be billionaire, have sex with azn beach volleyball cheerleaders, invent time machine, etc

>> No.2105561

>>2105397
>>2105418
>>2105422
>>2105423
>>2105448
>>2105451
>atheist for emotional angsty reasons

>> No.2105567

>>2105546
And the world having a purpose sounds really ridiculous since our existence looks more like a glitch or a curiosity in the universe and it's not like we were really important after all.

>> No.2105572

Sure, but only if:
>faster than light travel, unicorns, and magic genies

>> No.2105573

A world without God would be the ultimate "forever alone". It would be a life in which you are truly alone; no one watching, no one ultimately caring, every life infinitely insignificant. I think that such a belief would eventually make a person insane.

>> No.2105576

>>2105561
Believe what you want, but religion isn't as important in other countries than in the United States. People aren't forced into believing in god outside your great country that seems a bit extremist when it comes to religious questions.

>> No.2105590

>>2105576
um, i'm english

>believe what you want
you 14 yrs old?

look, choice is death, or afterlife, a neverending life in paradise.

oh man i'll take death, screw you god

>> No.2105605

A god by the normal Christian definition? No. But some kind of being able to interface with the universe; a divine coder, if you will, who directly communicates, would be interesting.

>> No.2105618

>>2105573
I believe this. I am not insane. Your argument is invalid.

>> No.2105619
File: 18 KB, 523x298, user42427_pic17267_1271136218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am glad that there is no celestial dictator that sits in the sky with folded arms keeping score. I am glad that I don't have to worry about thought crimes or that there isn't a genocidal maniac that raped a Jewish girl so his bastard rape baby could someday take part in a blood sacrifice to be the scapegoat for everyone's responsibilities.

>> No.2105622

>>2105572

I'd take faster than light travel over god or immortality.

>> No.2105626

>>2105573

You know, normal people have relationships with humans.

Imaginary friends aren't healthy, bro.

>> No.2105628

>>2105619
you have no morality i fucking hate you

>> No.2105631

Would I rather live in a supernatural version of North Korea, with cosmic big brother watching me at all times, punishing those who don't adulate him? Who WOULDN'T want that?

>> No.2105634

>>2105628

Wait, so you're okay with human sacrifice, inter generational guilt and brutal autocracy to boot, and you accuse HIM of having no morals?

Wow.

>> No.2105635

this thread has nothing to do with science

its part of athiest/theist spam on this board by people who are uneducated and ignorant about science and think that idle speculation about the "unknown" qualifies them to discuss science

>> No.2105640

>>2105590
I don't think you understand the concept of infinity.

Enjoy your neverending afterlife of insanity while I rest in peace with all those I knew and cared.

>> No.2105647

>>2105618
I said it would eventually make one insane. That you are not presently insane (if in fact you are not) does not prove that these beliefs will eventually make you insane. However, your failure at logic hints that you might be on your way already.

>> No.2105651

Depends on what that God is. If it's one who will punish you for all eternity for not believing in him/it, then no. That would be terrible. If it's a God that is some kind of compassionate backbone to reality that doesn't punish or reward, that might be kind of nice.

I like the idea that we're all alone, though. To me it's beautiful that it's up to us to take care of one another. inb4fag for saying the word "care".

>> No.2105666

>>2105647

1. If you are insane, it will validate my beliefs
2. But you're not insane, so I'll just assert, without evidence or reasoning, that you will turn insane in some unspecified time
3. And you can't disprove it, so I must be right!
4. Now I can feel superior to those foolish scientists!

>> No.2105669

>>2105640
why are you applying reason to a fantastical magical situation?

the god can of course make us not go insane in paradise, else it wouldn't be paradise

>> No.2105682

I just can't believe that murders, rapists, corrupt politicians and insane leaders (Hitler) who have showed innocent people nothing but hell in this life will just simply get away with it.

I know it wont matter since we will all be dead at the end, but I like to stick to the idea that someday these people will get punished for all the inhumane, horrifying and disgusting acts they've done in this life.

>> No.2105739

>>2105682
Just because you want there to be 'cosmic justice' doesn't mean that's a good reason to make stuff up. Be free to believe what you want to believe, but don't try and impose it on others.

>> No.2105749

>>2105739
>imposing his beliefs on others

>> No.2105757

As someone who grew up muslim but became atheist at 16, I was relieved when I came to the conclusion that there probably was no god - at least not in the abrahamic sense.

If the abrahamic god was real, there would be not only an eternal life, but the risk of an eternal life *in hell* if you don't conform to his ideals of behaviour. And if you've ever read the Quran before, those laws sure do put you in what feels like twisted moral dilemmas. (Seriously, you go to hell for sex before marriage, drinking alcohol, blasphemy - and that's the mild parts)

No, it feels appeasing that I live once, and then disintegrate. It gives the current life a better status than just grinding points for the afterlife.

>> No.2105765

>>2105757
Well, at least we can agree that the idea that it is easier to believe in god is bullshit.

>> No.2105823

I wish God existed, but only if I was that God. Otherwise, no.

>> No.2105839

>>2105757

Fuckin' A, bro. It feels so much better without having to second-guess yourself every few seconds.

>> No.2105862

>>2105839
God, yeah dude. you know what feels a lot better? DMX