[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 251 KB, 640x440, WTF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2095204 No.2095204 [Reply] [Original]

So any science graduate students here? I am at a loss about what to do for grad school, namely where I can get into. I took the GRE and got 800 math, 96th percentile verbal, and 84th percentile analytical writing. I attend the second best undergraduate program of my field (elite university), but my GPA is only 3.4. I have published (not first author) a paper in a prominent journal, and have presented a poster session at a conference. I also have teaching experience from an extracurricular program I am director of. What level of schools should I apply to?

>> No.2095287

I think you're in pretty good standing. I've heard GPA is second to demonstrated interest in research and research experience. Also depending on your field of study a 3.4 might not be too bad of a GPA.

If you already have research interests you should go to a school that focuses on that area of research.

Not a graduate student, but I've heard a lot from my TAs, professors and advisers about the graduate application process.