[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.98 MB, 355x363, 1290250791449.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2092468 No.2092468 [Reply] [Original]

Okay /sci/, I need someone to describe COMPTON SCATTER to me in a simple way, i need to write about it in my quantum physics course and have no idea what it is.

In return....this?

>> No.2092487

In physics, Compton scattering, or the Compton effect, is the name used for what happens to the energy (or frequency or wavelength) of an X-ray or gamma ray photon when it interacts with matter; the wavelength increases (or energy/frequency decreases) as it scatters off electrons. This scattering is one of the main things that happen when gamma rays meet matter. The Compton effect was studied by Arthur Holly Compton in 1923.
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering

>> No.2092491

From wiki:

In physics, Compton scattering is a type of scattering that X-rays and gamma rays undergo in matter. The inelastic scattering of photons in matter results in a decrease in energy (increase in wavelength) of an X-ray or gamma ray photon, called the Compton effect. Part of the energy of the X/gamma ray is transferred to a scattering electron, which recoils and is ejected from its atom (which becomes ionized), and the rest of the energy is taken by the scattered, "degraded" photon.
If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.

>> No.2092497

Researching EMPs?

>> No.2092501

It's what happens when a white cop runs into a group of blackies playing dice.