[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 400x527, Human-Cloning1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2078233 No.2078233 [Reply] [Original]

What are you thoughts on human cloning? When will we fully have the ability?

>> No.2078263

>clone myself
>NEVERALONE.jpg

>> No.2078260

We could do it now if we wanted to. However, it's considered one of, if not the, biggest taboos in science so it's never going to happen save for perhaps the occasional nutjob cloning embryos in his basement.

>> No.2078276

I thought the last sentence on the cover said heres the penis.

>> No.2078281

Oh my god guyz imagine if we could clone money!

>> No.2078286

>>2078263
1. Clone yourself
2. Replace Y-chromosome with X-chromosome
3. ???
4. Profit

>> No.2078300

>>2078263
>implying you could stand to be in your own presence

My first implying. I have joined the ranks of tremendous uppity faggots.

>> No.2078309

I'm just worried that we'll be using clones as slaves or experiment subjects.

>> No.2078321

>>2078300
>implying a person with your same DNA but raised by you instead of your parents, and in different environs, would be even remotely the same person.

>> No.2078329

>>2078309
>probably doesn't understand what a clone is.

>> No.2078340

>>2078329

Tell me how I am misinformed, then, instead of stroking your ego by insulting me.

>> No.2078348

>>2078286
I think you may be on to something.

>> No.2078367

What about cloning individual body parts to use as prosthetics, I gues it won't matter once we get some good robotic prosthetics though because they'll be superior to the biological ones anyway.

>> No.2078373

>>2078321
In which case you invalidate the whole original premise.

He could just have a fucking kid, no need to clone anything.

>> No.2078379

>>2078309
>as slaves

Do you have any idea what kind of upkeep that would require? These days we can build robots for just about any menial task. Nothing terribly advanced, of course, but they're capable of factory-esque work nonetheless.

>>2078309
>or experiment subjects

You seem to be under the impression that cloning would necessitate the replication of an entire human being. Are you aware of the possible ramifications of it? People with flawed organs could have new ones grown from their own tissue! (though the "new" ones would be just as liable to be flawed, depending on if the illness associated is associable with a certain age of the organ) This may necessitate having many organ replacements over one's lifetime to keep healthy organs...but I'm getting off track. Let me shorten it for you: Do you think it would be ethically bad to perform experiments on a cloned liver?

>> No.2078386

>>2078367
You never know. Some people may prefer to stay "organic", in more sense than one. Setting the bones and such would likely be a painful process though...hrm.

>> No.2078405

>>2078340
I clone is the same thing as any other person, except it is grown from a single person's DNA rather than a combination of the DNA of a male and a female. It still has to be implanted in a womb, and born, and raised. Saying, "maybe they'll use clones for slaves", is the same thing as saying "maybe they'll use children for slaves". Being a clone makes you no more susceptible to slavery.

>> No.2078411

We have done it. The Russians have done it. Fuck, even the god damn Chinese have.

Cloning is very possible today.

>> No.2078431
File: 139 KB, 732x604, 1274064034108.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reproductive cloning. Really?

Recombination exists for a reason.

>> No.2078440

>>2078379
>These days we can build robots for just about any menial task. Nothing terribly advanced, of course, but they're capable of factory-esque work nonetheless.

Good point, but there are probably still labors that humans are capable of that robots are not.

>You seem to be under the impression that cloning would necessitate the replication of an entire human being.

I never said anything of the sort. I know that it is possible to clone individual organs. I was replying to the OP (read the bottom line of the cover, it's clearly talking about full-body cloning).

>Do you think it would be ethically bad to perform experiments on a cloned liver?

No. However, there could be some experiments that require complete humans. I'm just expressing my fears, here, I'm not saying that science is defying nature or God or whatever, but these discoveries can and will be used for less than noble acts.

>> No.2078460

>>2078405
>I clone is the same thing as any other person, except it is grown from a single person's DNA rather than a combination of the DNA of a male and a female. It still has to be implanted in a womb, and born, and raised.

I'm well aware of that.

>Saying, "maybe they'll use clones for slaves", is the same thing as saying "maybe they'll use children for slaves".

People did (and still do in some places).

>Being a clone makes you no more susceptible to slavery.

Except clones can be produced more easily (and more quickly if they can be made to age faster), will probably be considered to be inferior to "natural" humans, and won't necessarily have parents to protect them.

You seriously can't envision clones being considered inferior to non-clones? The inferiority argument has been used in the past and can be used again.

>> No.2078477

What about clones that are genetically engineered to enjoy doing menial labor or being scientific subjects?

>> No.2078485

>>2078477

Let me know when they get that far.