[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 760 KB, 1600x1161, Chernobyl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2072716 No.2072716 [Reply] [Original]

I've been getting really deep into thought recently.
I've become very solipsist.
I'm terrified of the ideas, but I think they mean something.
Derealization and depersonalization are things I experience on a weekly basis.
Is that good?
Is that bad?
Also, I want to get into lucid dreaming.
I've read all about it and tried the techniques, but I can't get into it.
Can anyone help?
I think lucid dreaming will help me further my thoughts and hopefully uncover why they are there.
Can you help?

>> No.2072734

Me too OP.
I think it's because I've been smoking weed so much and I've spent 5 days out of the last three weeks totally tripping balls, though.
Also I was totally lucid dreaming a week and a half ago and I have no idea how I did that or how to replicate it but it was really fucking cool.

>> No.2072745

>>2072734
You didn't help me at all.

>> No.2072756

Solipsism is the most worthless idea in the history of ideas.
No one can help you.
Kill yourself to send whoever is running your mind a big 'fuck you'.

>> No.2072762

They are only bad if you think they are bad, but I think that they are generally annoying and negative feeling.
Try some physical activity it will get you back to reality.
Try dream journaling everyday for a month. This will cause your brain to allocate more memory to dreams. When you start to remember your dreams more vividly come back and ask again.

>> No.2072774

>>2072762
At least you helped.
Thanks.

>>2072756
Why does no one accept the idea and want to learn more about it?
The only negative thing I can see about it is not being able to get out of that kind of mindset.
I'd love to learn more about this thought, though.

>> No.2072796

Lucid dreaming isnt really science so this isnt the best place to ask about it.

Basically, all it is is fun, unless you believe in some kind of hidden dream meanings, which most people dont especially here.

You really are on the wrong board.
try
>>>/x/
and
http://boards.420chan.org/dr/

>> No.2072820

>>2072796

Unlike the other thread, this redirect to /x/ is perfectly acceptable.

Although, technically, lucid dreaming is something that does occur, for the sole fact that it is controlling your dreaming while you are dreaming (from what I understand). but any evidence that it connects to some higher/alternate plane of knowing/existence is /x/ material.

>> No.2072838

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism#Philosophical_poverty

>> No.2072857

may I advise keeping to yourself. don't look to the world to answer your problems, just keep them inside and you may eventually solve them. you won't seem like such a bitch in the meantime. I'm not trying to be an internet tough guy here, I just think such ideas don't get you anywhere, because they are introspection or self analyzing deadends.

>> No.2072900

>>2072857
I'm sorry, man.

>> No.2072906
File: 60 KB, 735x500, comic2-638.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

did someone say solipsism?
i never tire of posting this image.

also, don't worry too much about it op. a philosophy professor at my university went on an indefinite sabbatical as he wasn't sure that he existed, and the school board gave him some time off.

i believe what you are experiencing is safe provided you don't slip into something more permanent, as it may or may not provide valuable insight on how to help live your life and interact with others.

share these ideas so that you can derail any thought loops with feedback; try to make sure it's with someone else of the same mindset or that they're an intelligent weed smoker.

>> No.2072908

>>2072838
I'm saging this for the complaint I got.
But, if this thread manages to pop back up, I think I can go somewhere with the idea.
Maybe it's just temporary.
But I think any idea has more to it than what we generally think.

>> No.2072919

>I've become very solipsist.

I hate to break this to you but I exist, so you're wrong.

>> No.2072933

>>2072906
Is that really solipsism?
I mean, after reading about what solipsism is, it sounds like what I'm thinking, but after looking at that comic, it seems so bland.
My idea is that everything is projection of a mind, but not my mind, our mind, seeing as we'd all be the same person or thing.
But it doesn't go as far as that, my main problem is wondering what reality actually is if this is just unreality.
Is that solipsism?
I think it is, but I'm not entirely sure.
The whole subject just bothers me down to the core.

>> No.2072945

Solipsism = Realism

Solipsism has absolutely NO real-world (har har) implications. Nothing changes by you declaring yourself a solipsist. Call it the outside world, call it the rest of your mind, it doesn't fucking matter. And that is why solipsism can go straight to hell.

>> No.2072953

Solipsism is so fucking stupid. Grow the fuck up OP.

>> No.2072955

>>2072945
Then I don't know if what I think is solipsism or if it is and I just over-think the solipsism.
It does change a lot of things for me.

>> No.2072965

I think I can relate with you with the derealization and depersonalization. I've always had really bad anxiety. When I'm stressed to the max, it's like the world around me, including myself, is just totally detached from my mind. I actually had a seizure a few weeks ago, and the cause was said to be stress. Crazy stuff, no pun. Going to a psychiatrist soon pretty soon.

>> No.2072968

>>2072945
Well, that's true of most of philosophy (unless you count science).

>> No.2072978

>>2072965
A friend of mine says that he thinks I'm not solipsist, but I'm suffering from anxiety.
Am I?
I can't quite tell.
I don't think I'm having anxiety problems, but I don't know.
Shit's just so fucking confusing right now.
Also, sage when you post, please.

>> No.2073001

>>2072968

No. Good philosophy actually tells us something about the real world, and gives us a reason for why we act and think the way we do. Good philosophy explains things.

Solipsism doesn't explain anything, it can't be logically proven or disproven, and it has no impact on ourselves and the real world.

Basically, Solipsism is the string theory of philosophy.

>> No.2073026

If your mind is powerful enough to think, then why would it not be powerful enough to decieve you and generate "reality" as you know it?
Computers can do it, why would your mind not be able to?
Can I even use computers as an example?
What proof is there that it exists?
The mind controls existence.
You are God.
You are a creation of my mind, of our mind, if you will.
But that doesn't answer anything, now does it?
Then you have to know what the mind is, you have to know if the mind is not being decieved, if there is something beyond the mind.
You have to comprehend, for once in your life, a world where every possible thing you could even dream of doesn't exist. There is absolutely NOTHING you know.
Why can't you?
Because you can't think without knowing at least something.
Your mind controls you.
This reality is unreality.
Death, life, matter; these things are figments of the mind.
But if the mind were so powerful to even fathom this, would the mind not be that of a God?
Are we God?

>> No.2073029

>>2073026
Everyone disregard my shitty philosophy and disregard the stupidity of it; someone tell me what kind of belief it is. Is that solipsism?

>> No.2073033

>>2072716
derealization and depersonalization are signs of mental illness, its one thing to contemplate them as part of philosophy but to actually be subject to them as an intuition about the world is not healthy.

>> No.2073035

>>2073033
I'm not mentally ill.

>> No.2073037

>>2073001
You're funny, will you be my new friend?

>> No.2073044

I support Hilary Putnam's rejection of solipsism, not everyone does, but it makes sense to me. Check out his article on brains in a vat.

>> No.2073048

>>2073044
I (think) was reading that the other day.
I'll look it up right now.

>> No.2073091

>>2073035
they count as delusions

>> No.2073101

>>2073091
I may have a few delusions, but that doesn't make me mentally ill.
I have mediocre paranoia and depersonalization/derealization sometimes.
I bet everybody has that sometimes.

>> No.2073105

>>2073101
not really, no, perhaps a larger proportion on 4chan, but in general no they don't.

>> No.2073109

>>2073105
Regardless, I have no problems.

>> No.2073115

>>2073109
How would you actually know that though? Your wiling to accept that the whole world might be fictitious but not that you might have delusion of normalcy?

>> No.2073129

>>2073115
I just don't think I'm crazy.

>> No.2073133

>>2072716
I actually have depersonalization and I would wish it upon nobody, you do not "want" this feeling.

>> No.2073138

>>2073133
Who has depersonalization?

>> No.2073144

>>2073133
I agree.
But I also disagree.
It gets my mind flowing but I do weird shit and I get really depressed thinking about it.
But, mine are short-lived.
They last fifteen minutes maximum.

>> No.2073152

I've experience bouts of derealization, but mainly when I'm approaching mania.

>> No.2073153

>>2073001
On the contrary, solipsism is the only sound philosophy. Irrational belief in material reality is unfounded. This is almost self-evident. The belief in other minds is trickier, but as we have little idea of what minds are other than that they are, it's not saying much to say that there are other minds.

>> No.2073157

>>2073133
I'm with you on this one. Shit sucks. I live for the moments that I "snap back in".

>> No.2073172

>>2073133
>>2073157
samefag

>> No.2073182

>>2073157
Yep I know exactly what you are saying. Too bad those tend to be late at night and forgotten by morning for me.

>> No.2073199

>>2073153

The majority of mathematics/logic is built on a priori reasoning. So no, Solipsism is not that special. Valid, but trivial.

>> No.2073207

>>2073199
logic isn't built on a priori reasoning, its needed as a prerequisite in order to reason.

>> No.2073208

a priori fiends knees bleed till aporia

>> No.2073220

>>2073207

So you think all people are born with an understanding of first order logic?

>> No.2073223

>>2073220
I think at a certain level basic logic is intrinsic to human beings ability to order thoughts, or that logic is a reflection of humans rational faculty.

>> No.2073237

I think creeping nihilism is harder to deal with than creeping solipsism.

>> No.2073275

>>2073223

I'll grant the fact that humans can acknowledge a contradiction if you point it out to them, but I think that's as far as this intrinsic ability stretches. Obviously, formal logic is a much more powerful system that that.

>> No.2073283

>>2073275
Why, formal logic really isn't that usefull

>> No.2073297

>>2073283

Formal logic can be used for computer theorem-checking, if we're reduced to sophistry.

Your turn. What can Solipsism be used for, other than trolling /sci/?

>> No.2073312

>>2073297
I'm not defending solipsism, just saying that logic is not truly "derived" a priori.

Also computer theorem checking is lame.

>> No.2073323

>>2073312

YOU'RE lame. How's that for reasoned argument?

And how is it not derived a priori? Even if it's useless as you claim (and it's not), it sure as hell isn't based on observation, is it?

>> No.2073333

>>2073323
its not derived, its based on axioms and assumptions. Since the basic method itself is assumed, its circular reasoning to speak of "deriving logic". How do you derive something except in being consistent with logic.

>> No.2073344

Depersonalization can be a sign of an hormone imbalance, a malfunction of brain chemistry, esp. if it's repetitive. I'd check it out with your doctor. It could be that you're experiencing a degree of stress and alienation, the solution to which is not necessarily drugs, but maybe participating in group activities, going out with friends etc.

>> No.2073348

>>2073333

The same applies to everything, doesn't it? You can't derive that you think therefore you are because that follows naturally from causation.

You undergrad (and high school) "philosophers" are on a quest to devalue the english language by rendering well established terms meaningless, and I won't stand for that.

>> No.2073372

>>2073348
I think therefore I am cannot be derived at all, its supposed to be a self evident principle, No one has ever tried to derive it.

The only words that can be stripped of meaning are those whose meaning was never settled in the first place. Questions of free will for example fall apart because the belligerents are split on what it means. "Existence" has long been debated, whether its an intrinsic property or a relational property, whether its a predicate.

Derive has meaning, but you cannot derive that with which you derive. Logic is the basic system of reasoning, necessary for derivation.

>> No.2073384

>>2073372

That would tear the foundations from every self-verifying theory.

>> No.2073413
File: 79 KB, 855x667, 1289879106978.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got SPD, foreveralone.jpg

Detachment is a defining feature, so I understand the terror you can experience when you don't have anything to ground yourself: religion, emotion--nothing. It's a sign of some mental trouble, to be sure, but the degree varies from problem to problem. If it's a problem for you, and I mean that it's endangering your quality of life, you need to check out ways to deal with it. Trying to fight it in your head will only make it worse.
Trust me on that one.

As for lucid dreaming? It's a blast, if you get the right one. I'm peculiar in the way that 9 times out of 10, my dreams are naturally lucid. Probably because I spend most of my waking hours in my head. But I've heard it helps to sleep, then wake up a few hours before you need to actually 'get up,' go take a piss or something for a few minutes, then go back to sleep. Takes practice.

>> No.2073442

sleep for 5-6 hours
go do shit for an hour
go back to bed
lay on back

technique is proven
its all about rem cycles

also, smoke weed moremoremore
I'm beginning to see the edges of my mind

>> No.2073487

So is there any medication that fixes depersonalization/derealization. Obviously dissociative can cause it, and psychedelics cause HPPD which can lead to derealization.
So, what counteracts it?

>> No.2073492

>>2073487
Your standard antipsychotics can help, but its not always worth it.

>> No.2073509

>>2073492
A lot of SSRI's and Benzos also cause derealization. I'm not really familiar with antipsychotics, can you be more specific?