[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 8 KB, 288x216, pelagia2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2062899 No.2062899 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, going off to college soon. Right now the plan is to go for a basic degree in bio, then a higher degree in marine biology, a field I've long been interested in. No, this is not another case of Clouseau Syndrome. I have no delusions of languishing on some island for the rest of my life looking at dolphins (and to be honest, chordates don't interest me all that much. Cnidarians are where its at). All that aside, I have a general knowledge of a job I could realistically be doing (fisheries, etc). The main point of this is I've been getting a lot of "lol have fun working retail until you're 70" and other variations about how trying to work in marine sciences is setting myself up for getting screwed. Is the job market really that terrible? Basically, is there anyone where who can give me a realistic look of what post-schooling life would be if I went with the previously stated path?

>> No.2062908

>basic degree in bio, then a higher degree in marine biology

NO. GET REAL.

>> No.2062917

>>2062899
cool story bro. try something useful

>> No.2062925

>>2062908
ok. wat do.

>> No.2062931

Do what you love; and best of luck to you.

>> No.2062951

you'll get a job, but it probably wont pay well (which isn't really that relevant)

you'll likely switch majors though, probably to another science

>> No.2062982

>>2062951
such as?

>> No.2062991

>>2062982
chemistry, biochemistry, physical chemistry, physics, mathematical physics, molecular biology, cellular biology, etc

>> No.2063103

>>2062991
Does a bio degree just not fit in as well as the others in later studies, or is it just too generic or something else?

>> No.2063123
File: 23 KB, 499x649, magnet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Perhaps you should major in Magnets?

>> No.2063213

>>2062899
biomedical engineerning, bio engineering, ocean engineering, anything related. basically, you will take similar classes, do the same work, and get paid at least 3 times as much.
starting salaries for marine bio majors can run from 20k to 50k per year, where the least you'll ever make as a biomedical engineer is 45k per year, get a good gpa, you start off making 50-60k for the same amount of work.
inb4 gay engineer joke

>> No.2063450

Hey anon,

I am a senior studying Biology and applying to grad school for marine bio right now. Don't listen to these idiots, at Scripps Institution of Oceanography there are faculty members making 200k-300k, most are making 80-100k a year. Of course those are profs, so that won't be until after a PhD and some postgrad work, and of course getting published and having your papers cited. I'm not saying it's the most lucrative field, but don't think you'll be making retail money. The only trick is to remember is that it's a field with a lot of demand and not a lot of positions, so research history is important. Find someone doing something cool while you're an undergrad and volunteer/intern in their lab. It will help you stand out. If you really want to be a marine biologist, you won't let money convince you to switch majors. If you do, then it wasn't for you after all (not necessarily a bad thing). Also, don't let anyone tell you that marine bio isn't "real science." Osamu Shimomura, one of the co-winners of the 2008 nobel prize in chemistry, got it for studying bioluminescent jellyfish in Washington. This work would lead to the use of synthesis of GFP (Green Flouescent Protein), which is now a HUGE part of the biomedical field.

PS A postgrad researcher in my lab studies cnidarian systematics. She goes in a minisub at least once a month. She's so used to it that she finds it a drag, especially since it's at least 6 hours in there and she often goes with a male driver, making peeing awkward for her.

>> No.2063577

>Clouseau
first off, if you think inspector clouseau=Jacques Cousteau, you need to get the fuck out NOW.

second, there is a glut of mbio folks, so jobs are indeed scarce and fought over intensely. best option you'd be a faculty member...more likely you'd be a lab tech or working for the gov't. most mbio people coming out of my grad school end up at NOAA or working

>> No.2063592

>>2063577
sorry, accidentally hit submit...

or working for other goverment agencies...maybe a museum if you're lucky. then again, we've got a lot of fisheries folks here, so that's not at all surprising.

>> No.2064875

bump

>> No.2064883

PhD grad student in bio here.

Enjoy all the worrying.