[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 13 KB, 300x285, cornstalks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2054549 No.2054549 [Reply] [Original]

So /sci/borgs, for the sake of entertainment, how would crop circle hoaxers mutate corn stalks where they appear to bend?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_BhXE0giiE

>> No.2054575

bump

>> No.2054592

bampin

>> No.2054619

The stalks aren't mutated, they're microwaved.

Watch as this thread goes ignored while obvious troll threads have more than 100 replies.

>> No.2054632

>Watch as this thread goes ignored while obvious troll threads have more than 100 replies.

or no one cares about this topic?

>> No.2054652

Take this shit back to /x/.

>> No.2054665
File: 6 KB, 268x220, corn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2054619
excuse me not mutated, but exposed to high radiation.

>> No.2054679

Aliens are not visiting Earth just to fuck with farmers and stupid people. It's called a "hoax". Attention whores will go to ridiculous lengths to get their fix. Get over it, retard.

>> No.2054695

I'm not watching 17 minutes of retarded bullshit, OP. Fuck off.

>> No.2054703

>>2054679
That fix must feel great to go to such lengths. I might start making my own crop circles in the fields near me. Any suggestions on what I should do?

>> No.2054712

>>2054665
>High radiation
Microwaves.

>> No.2054722

>>2054695
>Mayan Prophecies and Crop Circles - An Extraordinary Connection
Yeah, I got about a minute into the narration before exploding in rage.

>> No.2054730

They're not mutated or irradiated. That's just the decay process after being bent and the stalk dying.

>>2054703

Use a board for tamping. It makes large circles quick and easy.

>> No.2054746

>>2054722
if you actually watched all the way through it you'd be suprised. I guess that chilbolton message just appeared beneath the dish on the field below and no one saw it. ON A MILITARY INSTALLATION OF ALL PLACES

>> No.2054753

>>2054703
Encode a message into the crop circle so that you can later prove it was a hoax after the locals get totally worked up. Then watch as they perform mental gymnastics to convince each other that you are lying.

Like, take the SHA1 of a detailed message, then represent that hash somehow, like in binary or morse code or something.

>> No.2054760

>Crop circles appear
>First conclusion: Aliens did it

>> No.2054800

>>2054746
>certainly can't be the soldiers being mischievous or even just oblivious
>it can't be explained, therefore I can explain it
>with ay-lee-uns

>> No.2054804

>>2054760
not at all, but these are very intricate designs. many are hoaxs, but there are a good number such as the milk hill, chibolton and arecibo messages. anyone who has an uninformed opinion on this may as well not even speak. it's just ignorance. herp derp take your tin foil hat off boy.

>> No.2054815
File: 13 KB, 200x153, galaxy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2054800
let's see you do it big boy. 800 feet across.

>> No.2054829
File: 65 KB, 500x677, chilbolton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2054823
oops forgot picture. if these are indeed hoaxes, they are being done by the same group of people. there are consistencies in the circles.

>> No.2054827

>>2054804
>>2054815
It was God. He appeared in a dream an told me about it. Funny fella, I tell you. Said he was gonna test the humans again to see if they still believe in him or if they succumb to Satan's temptations. You're all going to hell. Good day.

>> No.2054823

Chilbolton message. appeared right under the dish in the field adjacent to it. I suppose soldiers on night watch didn't see that at all did they?

>> No.2054828

>>2054815
I'm going to need to hire me some niggers for this one.

>> No.2054831

>>2054827
Hell doesn't exist...

>> No.2054836

I understand it's a big leap in logic. However to look at this evidence and dismiss the facts as nothing more than humans playing around is just ignorant.

>> No.2054837

>>2054831
Sure it does. How would you know?

>> No.2054842

>>2054815
I'm pretty sure ten people could do this overnight.

>> No.2054849
File: 19 KB, 562x384, 1281679097477.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying project blue beam

>> No.2054850

>>2054837
God told me in MY death experience that hell is just an idea made up by people who want control.

>> No.2054856

>>2054829
>they are being done by the same group of people

Either that, or many people independently came up with the same techniques, which is pretty likely considering all you need to make crop circles is a plank of wood, some rope, a stick, and a knotted string.

>> No.2054862

>>2054836
You're right, its a bunch of people playing around. With cool designs and hard work. Screwing up peoples crops, causing less viable food.

>> No.2054867

>Aliens are not visiting Earth just to fuck with farmers and stupid people

Says who? the aliens?

captcha : bulatons says

>> No.2054869

>>2054850
I'm afraid, you encountered the lies of Satan.

>> No.2054872

>>2054856
Plus radiation.

>> No.2054896

>>2054804
>many are hoaxs, but there are a good number such as the milk hill, chibolton and arecibo messages

They're a good number of what?

>>2054815

I'll see your 800 feet and raise you 300 meters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEAQ-d07HlE

>>2054829
>there are consistencies in the circles

Because only one group of people in the world knows what a fractal is.

>>2054872

Cellular damage from death does not require radiation exposure. Actually why am I even entertaining the notion when nobody ever offers conclusive evidence?

>> No.2054923

>>2054862

We already waste more corn than you can possibly imagine. Farmers are actually paid not to sell it so they don't collapse the market.

It's more profitable for these farmers to turn their fields into tourist traps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_maze

And no, we can't just give it to Africa. Who's going to pay to ship it and then distribute it over there?

>> No.2055056

Watched the vid. Thoughts as I watched:

1) The Mayan calendar does NOT fucking work like that. They did NOT make any prophecies and 2012 is NOT the end of the world any more than
 2000 was for us. Cripes. How many times do we need to say this?

2) So a team sets up some cameras and they just happen to capture a miraculous crop circle the same night, exactly where they are looking? Really? That's not suspicious at all? The fact that he just happened to need to change tapes at the moment of interest doesn't send red flags? And who are these clowns, anyway? What are their qualifications? Anyone can call themselves a "researcher". Has the footage been examined by an independent expert?

>> No.2055060

3) Okay, they sort of corrected themselves on the prophecy bit, but presented a LOT of New Age bullshit as fact again. The Mayans predicted no such "solar days" and no such thing exists. They did not believe in a cycle of disasters. Period. Regular solar cycles measured in decades do NOT offer "scientific proof" of anything the Mayans may or may not have "predicted". Their choosing of the beginning of the calendar is rooted in their mythology, not on astronomy. The whole bits about "spiritual renewal" and a "new golden age" are complete fabrications.

4) Really? You can't think of any reason crop circles would borrow from existing ancient symbolism? Really? Is the concept of a hoax that far above you? Is it inconceivable that some college kids with access to Google found some New Age 2012 doom site and borrowed some ominous sounding designs? You instantly go to aliens? Really? Come on.

5) I've worked at many similar military and federal installations. Just because it is federal property does not mean it is secure or that ere is even someone on duty 24/7. I've been to labs where I was able to roam freely, unquestioned; I doubt some pissant dish is going to be highly secure.

>> No.2055067

6) LOL at assuming something completely new is still caused by the same mysterious aliens and not someone else. LMFAO when a blur filter makes "more details become clear".

7) (About the "arecibo response")
a) Decimal number system, when Mayans used base20.
b) Silicon-based life, but shares DNA 
c) 1 million more genes = "more evolved, which is, of course normal"
OH GOD I'M DYING, I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING

8) "Scientists confirm that Earth is a living entity, a complex organism"
OH MY FUCKING JESUS RAPTOR FUCKING CHRIST I CAN'T BREATHE 

>> No.2055072

>>2054896
We're all trolling YOU. That's why you entertain us at all. Now continue. What if aliens were just fucking with us dumb apes?

>> No.2055093
File: 173 KB, 500x375, crop circle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2055060
it's a bit more than a pissant dish. quite fucking large actually
>>2055067
to think of the earth as anything but alive or at least something we should treat with respect is foolish.
do you people really think someone could encode something into binary overnight in crops?

>> No.2055127

>>2055093
Did such people make it?

Probably.

>> No.2055136

>>2055093
The crop circle in your pic is actually EASIER to make than a fractal or more complex image. All it requires is one rope tethered to the center while you flatten or skip patches as you rotate around (while simultaneously letting out a bit more rope as you go to create the spiral).

Seriously, all you've proven is that you have done ZERO research on how to make crop circles.

>> No.2055143

>>2055136
still doesn't account for radiation present at the other crop circles such as the ones on milk hill.

>> No.2055167

>>2055143
lulz, bananas.

My god, we're detecting high levels of radioactive potassium!

Honestly, you can buy a lot of shit.

>> No.2055181

>>2055167
Potassium in straw fields....

>> No.2055184

>>2055093
>it's a bit more than a pissant dish. quite fucking large actually
I'm not an expert on dishes, but the Chilbolton Observatory FACILITIES are small and in the middle of nowhere, with no border security at all. Look at their site or pull it up on google maps. Anyone can stroll up to their front door. Or the field next to them.

> to think of the earth as anything but alive or at least something we should treat with respect is foolish
We should have respect for the planet, yes, but it is NOT alive. Period. There is no serious scientist suggesting that. This is nothing more than new age spiritualism. But if you're so convinced there is scientific consensus, show me some literature.

>do you people really think someone could encode something into binary overnight in crops?
Yes. Easily. A rope and a plank. That is literally all it takes. If you plan it out, skipping bits as you flatten only makes it faster. Google it.

>still doesn't account for radiation present at the other crop circles such as the ones on milk hill.
Can you provide a decent source? One with actual raw measurement data? All I can find is vague hand waving, usually leaping steaight into anti-gravity machines or eternal life medicines....

>> No.2055190

>>2054923
This makes me sad.

>> No.2055192

>>2055093
>someone could encode something into binary overnight in crops

Shit son, if you can get a class of college students in on the prank you could draft up a design and then go stamp it out in a huge-ass corn field in a couple of hours.

Hell, I helped disassemble and then reassemble a car to get it into a classroom as a prank. We went in with a game plan and It took less than an hour.

Had I known then how batshit insane people can be over crop circles I may have pushed for that instead.

>>2055143

You claim there's a mysterious source of radiation, and then fail to back up that claim. There is no need to address nothing. Until you can present credible evidence regarding a non-mundane source of radiation, there's no point parroting it.

>>2055181

You're just chock full of ignorance, ain'tcha?
There's Polonium-210 in tobacco fields.
YOU are radioactive right now.

>> No.2055230
File: 19 KB, 400x297, wtf_is_this_shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's amazing that atheists and theists are so divided on the matter of creation vs abiogenesis, but when it comes to aliens visiting Earth they unite themselves against the people that believe it's aliens and call them nutjobs.

Who are you to say the technology isn't possible to travel close to light speed? Time dilation would turn a trip of many light years' distance into a few months or weeks in space.

Oh, you don't think they would come all this way and not open communication? Have any of you ever stopped for 30 damn seconds to think of maybe WHY an advanced intelligent species wouldn't want to communicate with us? I can come up with 10 plain reasons off the top of my head, and a few more deeply philosophical and/or ethical reasons.

You're /sci/entists, be a little more open-minded for pete's sake.

>> No.2055266

>>2055230
Actually who's to say warp drives are impossible based on our current understanding. New work on warp drives has lower the calculated energy cost from more matter than the entire universe to the mass of jupiter. Thats just over 20 or so years of working on the concept. Who the fuck are we to say if there were alien life out there hundreds of thousands even millions of years ahead of us wouldn't beable to pull it off? Are we really so arrogant to not only believe we are the ONLY LIFE OUT THERE but also to say what is or is not possible based on our very short time of actually understanding the slightest bit about the universe? The comparison is made that our saying there is no life out there based on our short time listening for radio waves is about the equivalent of taking a glass of water out of the ocean and saying, yup whales don't exist. In short you all are short sighted arrogant idiots who haven't learned that every time someone says something isn't possible it gets thrown back in their faces.

>> No.2055322

>>2055230
>It's amazing that atheists and theists are so divided on the matter of creation vs abiogenesis, but when it comes to aliens visiting Earth they unite themselves against the people that believe it's aliens and call them nutjobs.
Fuck off. Religious debates do not belong here.

>Who are you to say the technology isn't possible to travel close to light speed?
I'm someone who has at least a vague understanding of modern physics. I can read, with some degree of comprehension, Wikipedia or something written by Hawking, Brian Greene, etc.

>Time dilation would turn a trip of many light years' distance into a few months or weeks in space.
Which would still mean significant Causality problems. Why did they come here in the first place, then? Did they pick this star without realizing we were here, and so have simply been hiding behind Jupiter waiting for the right time to ask if they can bum a place to sleep for a few hundred years? Are these crop circles just the result of their misbehaving children ala Hitchhiker's Guide?

>> No.2055327

>>2055322
>Time dilation would turn a trip of many light years' distance into a few months or weeks in space.
Which would still mean significant Causality problems. Why did they come here in the first place, then? Did they pick this star without realizing we were here, and so have simply been hiding behind Jupiter waiting for the right time to ask if they can bum a place to sleep for a few hundred years? Are these crop circles just the result of their misbehaving children ala Hitchhiker's Guide?

>Oh, you don't think they would come all this way and not open communication? Have any of you ever stopped for 30 damn seconds to think of maybe WHY an advanced intelligent species wouldn't want to communicate with us? I can come up with 10 plain reasons off the top of my head, and a few more deeply philosophical and/or ethical reasons.
Then why the crop circles, if they don't want to communicate? You're doing some serious mental gymnastics, here, guy.

>You're /sci/entists, be a little more open-minded for pete's sake.
Being open minded does not mean blindly accepting everything anyone says. It means listening to the arguments and making rational, unbiased decisions.

There is no credible evidence for aliens visiting Earth. None. Occam's Razor and common sense dictate such a thing to be beyond likely. The only rational conclusion is that it is a cultural phenomenon, a hoax. Just like Bigfoot, the Lochness monster, and Jesus.

Life is boring. Get the fuck over it.

>> No.2055328

>>2055322
Wikipedia....

>> No.2055381

>>2055093

since when does 66 = B?

And since when did aliens know Binary?

>>2055093
>>2054829
>>2054815
>>2054827
>>2054665
>>2054549

OH GOD, I KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON

ITS NOT ALIENS DOING THIS, BUT ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM MEXICO TRYING TO STEAL OUR JOBS.

JUST LIKE THAT MOVIE ALIEN VS PREDATOR - WHEN THE ILLEGAL ALIENS FIGHT THE SEX PREDATORS.

>> No.2055392

>>2055266
>Actually who's to say warp drives are impossible based on our current understanding. New work on warp drives has lower the calculated energy cost from more matter than the entire universe to the mass of jupiter. Thats just over 20 or so years of working on the concept.

What you are talking about is the Alcubierre Drive, and NO, it is not even remotely feasible. I do find your... "selective" understanding of it to be humorous, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

>> No.2055407

>Who the fuck are we to say if there were alien life out there hundreds of thousands even millions of years ahead of us wouldn't beable to pull it off? Are we really so arrogant to not only believe we are the ONLY LIFE OUT THERE but also to say what is or is not possible based on our very short time of actually understanding the slightest bit about the universe? The comparison is made that our saying there is no life out there based on our short time listening for radio waves is about the equivalent of taking a glass of water out of the ocean and saying, yup whales don't exist.

The numbers concerning accelerating growth simply don't work. With a hundred thousand years more development, we will be spread across the visible sky. In a million years, we could potentially inhabit every single star system in the galaxy. Let that sink in for a minute. I'm not saying we will, or even that it would be easy, but it is possible. If another civilization had accomplished even a fraction of that, the sky would be lit up like a billboard announcing their existence. We are the first sentient life in this galaxy. If there were other space farring beings before us, we would have seen them by now. There may well be other races at our level out there, but they are not visiting us. 

>> No.2055411

>In short you all are short sighted arrogant idiots who haven't learned that every time someone says something isn't possible it gets thrown back in their faces.
And you are trying too hard to believe in something you have ZERO evidence for. Do you support Bigfoot with the same enthusiasm? What about ghosts, or vampires, or Jesus, or Santa, or unicorns? You are deluding yourself. Let it go.

Besides, if there are really aliens abducting our cows and probing our asses, there's nothing we can really do to prepare, anyway. What do we really have to gain by believing these crop circles are the work of bored, autistic aliens? Nothing. If they are friendly, they'll introduce themselves when they or we are ready and our entire society as we know it will crumble whether we are expecting it or not. If they are hostile, we don't stand a chance. All we get out of this shit is a vague sense that we aren't alone. A warm fuzzy feeling. If that's what you're looking for, then you are a theist and aliens are your objects of worship. And religious threads don't fucking belong here.

>> No.2055428
File: 9 KB, 189x256, 1275194164663.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2055407

>If there were other space farring beings before us, we would have seen them by now.

>assumptions.jpg

>> No.2055429

>>2055392

No dude no...

He's not talking about Alcubierre's concept of a Warp Drive.

He's talking about a newer kind of warp drive theory developed by dr. Richard Obousy and dr. Gerald Cleaver. Instead of being based on General relativity (as alcubierre drive was), it's based on quantum physics.

It was first conceived in 1999 something. They first started at ridiculous energy requirements, requiring more energy than there is in the entire universe. But since then, they have been honing their theory and have managed to shrink the energy requirements down to mass of a jupiter. It's a considerable improvement, and who knows, if they could manage to shrink it down even further.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090507175838.htm

A short description. And a lot more about this can be found by googling "obousy warp drive" or "casimir warp drive".

>> No.2055432

>>2055407
>We are the first sentient life in this galaxy.
is misleading, sorry. Change that to
>There is no interstellar life in our region of the galaxy yet.

>> No.2055474

>>2055429
1) >sciencedaily.com
You may as well be citing Fox News.

2) From your article:
>The method is based on the Alcubierre drive

3) They are basing their assumptions on String Theory, not Science. This is nothing more than conjecture.

4) They still require a relatively large amount of exotic matter. Which doesn't exist.

>> No.2055484

>>2055428
It is not an assumption, you just aren't getting it.

An intelligent race does not telepathically know we are out here and decide to make a bee line straight for us accross the galaxy. They would be spread all over the place before coming here. In a million years, they could easily spread throughout the galaxy. We would know they were out there before they showed up.

>> No.2055502

>>2055474
How is sciencedaily like fox news?

>> No.2055509

>>2055428
>SETI paradox

>> No.2055514

>>2055502
Sensationalized science news is not accurate science news. Look at their front page, ffs.

>> No.2055518

>>2055411
Where did I say I believe in alien abduction and all that crap? I was simply making a point about the fact people over the whole of human history have said we know all there is to know about a specific subject or such and such will never be possible only for it to be proven wrong. I am not saying aliens have visited us, I was making a point against people claiming alien life doesn't exist based on the ridiculously small sample size we have to work with.

And yes I realize my point on the warp drive is almost entirely conjecture however the fact is the hypothetical drives we have created have improved tremendously over the years and I was simply making the point of we shouldn't rule it out based on our current knowledge, I'm not saying its going to happen just simply pointing out the improvements in the concepts.

>> No.2055649
File: 680 KB, 667x670, 1275105711631.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2055411

>And you are trying too hard to believe in something you have ZERO evidence for. Do you support Bigfoot with the same enthusiasm? What about ghosts, or vampires, or Jesus, or Santa, or unicorns? You are deluding yourself. Let it go.

Oh boy, where to begin.

The ENTIRE FUCKING GALAXY =//= The Earth

Fuck you, I'm not even going to bother arguing.

>> No.2055752

>>2055649
It doesn't matter what the sample size is, you're still making a fallacious leap in logic.

No evidence, no argument. Period. There is no reason to believe in alien visitors. Given our own existence, we can conclude that it is possible there are other sentient beings in the Universe, but we have no reason to believe they are here. None. Stop pretending like it is a valid concern.

Stop being a retard. Take this shit back to /x/.

>> No.2055801

>>2055649
No, he's exactly right.

It is "possible" bigfoot exists. However, we have no evidence for it and arguments can be made that it is impossible for a creature that large to exist due to a lack of resources. We have no reason to suspect he actually does exist and thus the efforts made arguing about it are useless wastes of energy and money.

Aliens are also a possibility, but as yet we have zero reason to suspect they have made contact with earth. We cannot take the topic seriously yet. All we can do is patiently keep an eye out for evidence.

Until convincing evidence comes along, we have to rationally assume the more likely explanation for phenomena is the cause. That's how logic and science work.

We don't have to search the entire universe to know there is no such thing as a unicorn or a ghost.

>> No.2055839

>>2055067
>8) "Scientists confirm that Earth is a living entity, a complex organism"
>OH MY FUCKING JESUS RAPTOR FUCKING CHRIST I CAN'T BREATHE
putting esoteristic and sentince bullshit aside that's not such a dum statement, global ecosystems' self regulation can legitimately be considered a form of homeostasis

>> No.2056056

>>2054829
My girlfriend called it a series of pokeballs, and now I can not unsee.

>> No.2056509

>>2055381
Well, apparently Aliens use ASCII too. Who would have thought?

>>2055093
They speak English (Beware) and use ASCII. Do I have to say it once more?