[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 194x159, trollface.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2036374 No.2036374 [Reply] [Original]

If you were going the speed of light trust me I hate these questions just as much as you do... but it really is getting to me... if you were traveling @ the speed of light what would you be seeing? btw you can sage after I get 1 answer

>> No.2036392

Nothing, time doesn't pass for an observer at that speed.

>> No.2036416

well what do you mean you just dont see hear, age, ( know that <<) but what exactly would go on?

>> No.2036420

Well.
How do you perceive time now?
The only way you can is by witnessing motion. A change in an object some how.
Now what happens when you go at essentially infinite speed, apart from your mass going to infinity.

>> No.2036427

go ahead and sage now

>> No.2036430
File: 38 KB, 640x480, firstfractal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2036374

You would see nothing in the view ports or sensors.
You still have time though, age, you die.

The only way you can is by witnessing motion. A change in an object some how.
>you cannot witness your own motion

>> No.2036850

Photons do not experience time. A photon travels everywhere in its space time lifespan instantaneously.

>> No.2036895
File: 11 KB, 480x360, plad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Plad.

I was wondering if it would depend on the direction you are facing. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

I've seen documentaries on what it would be like to travel close to the speed of light. And within the object traveling at such speeds, it doesn't seem like anything would be different, as the speed of time changes to compensate so the speed of light remains the same. So the time it takes to get from point a to b within the object traveling close to the speed of light as observed outside of the object would itself take the same amount of time as outside the object.

>> No.2036926

Ok, but if I'm going at the speed of light, and I stick my arm out the spaceship and punch a board, would I be punching at faster than the speed of light? Maybe I should make a diagram...

>> No.2036967

>>2036926
You can't travel from one point to another at the speed of light. You can travel at very very close to the speed of light, but you'd have to apply many lightspeed's worth of acceleration to get there. You can also move where you are to where you want to be faster than light, but we can't manipulate space so that's not happening.

>> No.2036968
File: 10 KB, 404x404, listen_to_carl_sagan_design.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Listen to Carl Sagan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPoGVP-wZv8

>> No.2036986

how about this: a starship accelerates a reaction mass of one hundredth of its own mass by 100 times the speed of light. How fast is it carried in the opposite direction?

>> No.2037032

years ago, people believed that nothing could go faster than the speed of sound. They also had math to back it up.
Today, people believe nothing can go faster than the speed of light. They also have math to back it up.

Perhaps it is most reasonable to believe that the universe has no "speed limit"? After all, why would it? And in the end, everything is all relative. The universe as a whole could be going ten million times the speed of light for all we know. But that's beside the point.... what's stationary anyway, when everything is moving? The sun? Earth? Center of the universe? I don't think there's a limit at all.

>> No.2037040

>>2037032
Let me see this math stating you can't fly faster than the speed of sound.

>> No.2037071

>>2037032
It's called relativity for a reason. The lightspeed barrier is not relative to any particular reference frame or object. It applies to any motion between any two masses- no two masses can travel at greater than lightspeed relative to one another. Also, the lightspeed barrier is enforced by the passage of time, so in a manner of speaking you can travel much faster than light just so long as you're timing how long it took you to get there from onboard your spaceship and not whatever it was you were travelling relative to.

>> No.2037087

>>2037040
I wanna see that too

>> No.2037093

Go read something on the evolution of math, nobody dedicates a website on old formulas.
Just because it isn't there doesn't mean it wasn't there.

>> No.2037101

>>2037093
That argumentation could be used to proof everything, therefore it proofs nothing.

Just because there is no pink unicorn it doesn't mean there never was.

Just because there is no person today who can breathe in space doesn't mean there never was.

Just because there isn't X today doesn't mean there never was.

And so on and so on

>> No.2037118

No difference. Light travels the same way, no matter your speed.

>> No.2037124

>>2036374
Watch Cosmos like the rest of us you lazy asshole.

>> No.2037127
File: 541 KB, 1191x1683, evolution..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2037101
It's all about evolution

>> No.2037128

>>2037124
I prefer connections