[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 194 KB, 1474x1188, 34987839.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2029596 No.2029596[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I have a question /sci/

It concerns science, philosophy, politics and sociology.

I once read a report by a Spanish writer which stated that he was proud that his country has no Nuclear weapons, and that he felt safer because of it. This led me to an idea:

If, one day in the future, America declared to the world that it was disarming its nuclear weapons and declaring itself a non nuclear state, what would the international response be? I dont believe that a contemporary Russian leader would take advantage of the situation. Mainly because the other Nuclear countries would retaliate, but also because I believe Russia would see it as an opportunity to also decrease their nuclear weapons.

Your thoughts.

>> No.2029614

Kind of a reverse of MAD

one country disarms, leads influence to other countries to disarm etc, but the reason why that doesnt work is what about the chance that a country disarms but keeps a secret stash of weapons, you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket,

I think society needs to evolve more before something like this could happen,we are still partly stuck in the mentality of gherkins khan, attilla the hun etc

we need to move past war between countries (which will never happen because of culture and religeon)

>> No.2029618

sorry man but I think that's too much of an optimism... While many people out there agree that there should be indeed a decrease in nuclear weapons there are still people who think decreasing nuclear weapons would only mean a increase in national security threat. Even if Russia doesn't use its nuclear powers, some other country with nuclear powers may...

>> No.2029619
File: 137 KB, 1024x837, How can people not know what beauty this is.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Unilateral disarmament is a tricky issue.
I actually support it and think the world would follow suit (though, terrorist organizations really throw a kink in this kind of thinking; even if nations disarm, that doesn't eliminate the threat entirely). It actually has a precedent in the form of Nixon's unilateral disarmament of biological weapons in 1972. Britain followed suit and the Soviets seemed to (they actually did disarm once the Soviet Union collapsed; in the mean time, their program had continued). So, I don't know. I've given it some thought and haven't really come to a definite conclusion yet.

>> No.2029622

So long as there are nations there will be nukes.

>> No.2029632

>>2029619
True, but if you think about it terrorist organizations probably wouldn't care whether or not your country has nukes. What are you going to do, nuke the middle east?

>> No.2029633

if the whole world disarmed, what would we do with all those nukes man? I say we should put all of them on some island and detonate 1

>> No.2029640

Let me just say this on behalf of /sci/:

damn thats a big fukken crater, saved for cool factor.

>> No.2029645

>>2029633

scattering nuclear materials for miles around. Nice idea.

>> No.2029651
File: 310 KB, 1024x685, [gasp]X6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2029632
I agree.
In the end you're probably right about them caring whether we're armed or not, so we may face a situation where nations disarm (+) and terrorists don't (0), or where nations don't disarm (0) and terrorists don't (0), or where both disarm (+) (+) (unlikely), or where... there's no point in listing the fourth.

Anyway, given the above, the only logical solution is disarmament even if terrorists keep their weapons. So, yeah, I agree.

It's just a question of getting everyone to disarm, and, like I said, there actually is a precedent.

>> No.2029654

>>2029633
why not blow up something in space?

>> No.2029655

>>2029633
nuclear winter x 100, your idea is stupid.

I say we nuke it from space. It's the only way to be sure.

>> No.2029662

>>2029655

good luck getting all the worlds nukes into space. One fault and boom we all go.

Why not throw em deep under the ocean and then detonate?

>> No.2029663

>>2029655
Why nuke at all? You like boomie?
You like boomie! Kittykittykitty...

>> No.2029667

>>2029662
radiation... all the radiation, they'll have to go somewhere, but I don't like the idea of making them disperse in the sea water

>> No.2029671

>>2029662
No, we would go to space and nuke the Earth and its nukes from space. I was trying to meme Ripley from Aliens. Whatever.

>> No.2029681

best disposal idea ever: Take nukes, throw them all into deep hole, bury. No more nukes

>> No.2029693

>>2029681
Why haven't we thought of that yet? Maybe export the work to some outlying islands, too.

>> No.2029696

>>2029681

also build big city over said hole

>> No.2029711

Even better disposal use them to power this energy starved world

>> No.2029714

its kind of sad that we have enough nukes to destroy the entire world so many times over, an interesting question would be if aliens came to earth tried to take over.

the aliens are winning and are going to kill us all (just us) and then they will preserve the earth as best they can (much much much better than we ever could) and all the world leaders got together and decided to nuke the entire earth making it inhospitable rather than have aliens take it over, would you be in support of this. or would you accept defeat and move on for a superior life form to take over

>> No.2029717

>>2029681
Then some mentally fucked terrorist comes over and digs all of them out...

>> No.2029730
File: 150 KB, 550x478, drmanhattanfromtrailer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can convince the leaders of the world to commit to nuclear disarmament.

>> No.2029738
File: 1.75 MB, 3000x2272, MRV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>a Spanish writer which stated that he was proud that his country has no Nuclear weapons

that's what faggots say.

It's like saying that one can be proud about not landing on the moon because space is carry and one can be safer on earth.

Developing nuclear delivery systems like the US and Russia have is an amazing technical achievement, and a shit load of tech that benefits humanity came out of it.

Regardless, a world without nuclear weapons is a better world.

Nations should stop developing them, for the same reason the US told everyone else to stop researching Neutron Bombs because when we really though about the effects of these weapons would be, it scared us shitless.

Hopefully one day America will get rid of them.

If anyone hits us with one nuke, we could out one together for a response in a couple of days.

>> No.2029746

>>2029738

>out

*put

>> No.2029756

>>2029738

>carry

*SCARY

FUCK YOU IPHONE KEYBOARD

>> No.2029763

Nuclear weapons aren't exactly a bad thing, innately; they essentially ensure an end to conventional war inside the nations that possess them. The problem is, there are some countries out there (see: Iran) that have leaders who are just crazy enough to use them, so the whole "Give everyone nukes" option doesn't really work.

For the most part, though, it's worked great.