[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 45 KB, 400x265, billymadison.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2021523 No.2021523 [Reply] [Original]

I'm in my early twenties
I've mad poor decisions throughout my life, academically.

I am by no means a dumbass.
I just never gave a damn about school.
>too cool for school, and too busy feeling sorry for myself.

I have cleared my mind of all confusion and am ready to start down a path of academics.
I no longer live and think, with a chip on my shoulder.

I want to build the proverbial academic skyscraper

I have torn down everything with a wrecking ball
and am ready to start from the bottom up. Starting with the foundation; the fundamentals.

Think "Billy Madison".

Things like private tutors and private institutions are not amongst the possibilities. I'm not poor, but by no means that loaded. Also those options go at a fixed pace and would take a long time to complete.

Who amongst the academic publishers offer the best books that are comprehensive, and teach from the bottom up?
Something akin to an Encyclopedia Britannica volume
that teaches all subjects, but at a linear level of advancement.

Starting from, (i.e. Math) adding, subtracting, and fractions
to calculus, and beyond.

I also want to relearn English on an advanced level, not just a colloquial level. Especially grammar.

but before that I want to learn Latin, and Greek.
I'm assuming that the Rosetta Stone is the best tool for that, but if anybody has any other recommendations, please do tell.

My mind is like a jig-saw puzzle that has a lot of missing areas. Instead of trying to figure the missing holes, I want to start from the bottom up, so that I have a solid whole picture that will hold together.

- An anon that has lived a life worthy of regret, but is yearning to make up for it.

>> No.2021530

http://www.khanacademy.org/

>> No.2021536

Also Rosetta Stone is the best as far as I know.

>> No.2021542

>>2021523
>>2021523
did you even graduate highschool?

>> No.2021550

>>2021542

Not OP, but how is that relevant to anything?
Every human has a right to educate himself.

>> No.2021556

>>2021542

how is that related to anything?

>> No.2021561

>>2021530
That is a great website. Although it is lacking in history, and English.

>>2021542
Yes, but I was a sub par student.

>> No.2021586

>>2021530
is there something more comprehensive
I could torrent e-books. What are the best, and comprehensive, publishers out there?

>> No.2021600

Trust me Khan Academy should be your main tool for the subjects he presents.

>> No.2021626

>>2021600
This. I used his explanations to pass calculus.
I would highly recommend private tutors.
Remember: college kids are always hungry for money.

>> No.2021637
File: 35 KB, 480x640, 565656464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2021530

You may have just saved my life, anon. My gratitude is eternal. Thanks for the link.

>> No.2021649

>>2021556
>>2021550
cause if you graduated highschool, then you can just go to college and start you "acedemic carrier". If you didnt graduate highschool, then you are really fucking behind and should seek special help. I hear they have special classes for dumbasses that didnt graduate highschool to help you get your GED. Im sure if you ask your local community college, they will help you find these classes in your area.

>> No.2021659

>>2021649
I completed highschool, but with a C average.

I want to relearn everything, so that I have the mental equivalent of a straight A student

>> No.2021676

>>2021523
LMAO, you really think you will be able to learn shit faster staying at home then going to college? I mean I guess for some it is possible, if they are already ahead and shit. However you seem really behind with a history of fucking up.

>> No.2021683

>>2021676
I have to learn how to walk before I run

elementary/highschool, is walking
college + is running

I thought exactly like you. Compared myself with everybody else and was run down about it.
That is silly to think that. I hope that you figure that out for yourself, one day soon.

>> No.2021700

>>2021683
>college + is running

LMAO, you really think that? College is easy a fuck yo. I guess you are just naturally slow. You should go to some kinda of place that helps slow people, maybe like a carrer center or something. Really go to your local community college and talk with one of there guidance people, they will tell you how to get back on track.

>> No.2021702

>>2021676
"Than." Not "then."
And OP has the respectable goal of learning everything correctly, as the first time, he fucked up hard.
I share your pain, OP. Remember that the internet can be a tool of learning.

>> No.2021710

>>2021683

elementary school/middle school is crawling

high school and early college (ie. first 2 years usually) are walking

upper-level courses and beyond are running

just go to college and start in basic courses.

I go to a community college, and they have college-algebra (or even 1 math below this if you need it.) they have reading courses if you need them and etc.

>> No.2021721
File: 229 KB, 483x533, Macavity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2021683
Honestly, what you learn in college really doesn't depend on what you learn in high school except for a handful of classes pertinent to your major.

The whole point of education is to teach you a process, like in physics its all about research. The specific material is very rarely important.

The question you should ask yourself anon is what a college degree will do for you. If it gives you something you desire greatly, then let nothing hold you back.

>> No.2021733
File: 183 KB, 900x600, SnowCat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2021710
>college is running
I guess that's true. I walk probably 7 hours a week. I run about 30 minutes.

That said, most people are either sprinters or marathon runners when it comes to academics. There's significant diminishing returns after a couple hours of studying any one subject so I'm proud to be a sprinter.

>> No.2021745

I agreed with most of the anons, go to a community college, if anything just ask them for advice

>> No.2021757
File: 86 KB, 800x751, CoolCat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2021710
To be honest, there isn't a significant difference between taking a 100+ person lecture and taking an online class besides sitting in the front and talking to the professor. He could, if dedicated, learn all of his first two years of college online and either test out of these courses or take like 20 units and just burn right through his first year.

OP, if you want to get smart, your best bet is to educate yourself more than your classes can for the first two years (easymode if you aren't lazy like me) and enroll in a lab once you get into a university.

Pay isn't important but you can get summer stipends from most universities (i.e. grants that pay for part of your rent) for working in a lab over the summer. At least in physics, professors love undergraduate researchers. They even pay them sometimes if they've got a solid budget. In a lab, you do actual research, for which you'll have to read books, papers, learn programming languages, conduct experiments, etc.