[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 267x320, Freeman..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2009946 No.2009946 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/

what do you guys think of "science" video games like Half Life?

Love it? Hate it? Honestly don't give a fuck?

>> No.2009955
File: 79 KB, 523x394, Black Mesa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Depends on how they do it, science in movies/tv series pisses me off because they always do it wrong ('Congratulations Mr Stark, you invented a new element'). I played half-life two and there wasn't really any 'science' element in it, you just played as a scientist.

>> No.2009962

Science Fiction and real Science aren't even close to the same thing. I enjoyed HL but the idea that it's a "science" game is laughable

>> No.2009964
File: 23 KB, 200x300, DSC_0310_sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Half life isn't a "Science" game. It's a FPS game where you play a scientist, although one of the cool things about HL2 is it fleshes out the Black Mesa staff a bit. In most games, scientists are geeky Dr Kleiner types defined by labcoats and thick glasses, but HL2 has Eli, Mossman, and Breen, all scientists with considerable depth and humanity.

>> No.2009967

Half Life didn't have any science in it, though. I can't think of any science games, honestly.

>> No.2009970 [DELETED] 

Don't give a fuck.

Scientific accuracy doesn't make good stories.

>> No.2009992

Did anyone ever play The Incredible Machine? That was physics gaming at its finest.

>> No.2009998

Half-Life is my favourite shooter and I wish they made a sequel that was more sciency like the first one. With corridors and stuff. It had a sciency atmosphere - fuel pumps, valves, nuclear waste, rocket launches, generators, research facilities, novel beam weapons...

Where was this all in HL2? Okay, they opted for a more futuristic, dystopian, alien, 'open' world (not in gameplay but in appearance). The only thing recalling the essence of HL1 were the short bits at the research facilities (grav gun, magnusson device), and a light sprinkling of radioactive matter at the canal.

>> No.2010015
File: 27 KB, 200x200, scientist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2009964
You do not play a scientist. You play a highly trained professional. Who is expected shortly... in the test-chamberrr.

>> No.2011713
File: 15 KB, 300x300, research.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2009998
I agree. I missed this kind of technological ivory tower feeling that Half-Life 1 had. But overall I think Half-Life 2 also failed at being seriously dystopian. HL2 was more like some sort of block buster movie from the 1990s. Full of action and corniness at the same time. Made to be enjoyable for the whole family. It isn't this sort of game of which you would say it's "bad" but also not the game you would say it's mature themed and "intellectually brilliant" (unless HL2 was one of your first vidya game which is the case for alot of kids today).

Although Portal continues the whole "science theme" it's not being serious at it and is more over appearing like a mockery of Half-Life 1.

>> No.2011720

>>2009992
There's been a spiritual sucessor, Crazy Contraptions.

In Crazy Contraptions 2 they implemented Ageia Physics, which should be quite compatible with NVidia's PhysX. I never played this one, but yeah, liquid effects, and other GPU acceleration.