[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 33 KB, 400x300, 1258043839_Dr. Strangelove.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1973442 No.1973442 [Reply] [Original]

>4.7 Overall GPA
>2230 combined (Perfect score on Math and CR)
>300+ Community Service hours
>Head of MUN (We won 2nd in Nationals)
>Varsity Track & Field

What are my chances for Cornell?

>> No.1973445

are you black?

>> No.1973446

/sci/ Tutoring and Admissions

>> No.1973447

>>1973445
nope

>> No.1973444

Three out of twelve.

>> No.1973449

>>1973447
can you convincingly fake an accent?

>> No.1973451

>>1973449
sure

>> No.1973490

Your grades are of lesser importance I would imagine.

Can you get in?

I don’t know you so I can’t tell.

What I can tell you is that if you are motivated you will.

I study physics at the Swiss federal institute of technology, the “highest” ranked here in continental Europe.

Rankings don’t tell the full story, I know, but they do give some direction.

I’m not anything special, not super grades, not mega ultra super genius or anything like that. I just applied, did the tests in good spirit and that is enough.

I have friends at Cambridge and Cornell who are essentially the same.

There is this “hype” about the top level universities and I don’t really think it is that big of a deal.

If you are somewhat serious and good don’t worry.

I do think there is one exception and that would be Caltech, but their selection is highly influenced by their small size.

Anyway good luck op and hang on, the application process can be quite exhausting.

(if you are serious otherwise you are a huge troll faggot.)

>> No.1973495

>What are my chances for Cornell?

Good luck with your giant student loans and getting passed over for jobs by someone with the same degree from UMASS Lowell.

>> No.1973516

>>1973490

Someone from a good university on 4chan?

Seems rather unlikely.

>> No.1973525

>>1973516

>Implying most colleges aren't "good" and won't get you a job after you graduate

>> No.1973526

>>1973490

Why do you imagine that grades are of lesser importance?

>> No.1973532

>>1973525

It seems that you will only find employment if you study something worthwhile like medicine or law at a decent university.

>> No.1973537

>>1973516
>Seems rather unlikely.

Please do elaborate.

>> No.1973547

>>1973532

>Implying that most people on 4chan aren't going to school for something spergin' like IT or CS or EE

>> No.1973561

>>1973537

I shall. 4chan is a website whose population consists mostly of immature ignoramuses whose words and actions are inspired by emotions rather than logic. Hence, no sensible person would visit such a website let alone post on it with advice for (presumably) immature ignoramuses.

>> No.1973600
File: 27 KB, 732x456, prooff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1973516
This is the "hype" I was talking about. There is nothing special by it at all.

The only difference between a top-university student and a mid-university student is often that the top one actually took the time to do the selection. In terms of skill there will not be any difference.

In America wealth comes in to the picture early, but at graduate level you will get a scholarship anyway.

>>1973526
The universities I know well do not lay a heavy emphasis on grades. Sure they are “assumed to be good” and you can’t be below average, but if you are considering these universities I assume you are pretty well of.

It will more depend on tests and/or interviews depending on what University you are trying to get in to.

At ETH (Swiss fed inst. For tech.) There is an entrance exam, and you can be admitted by passing this even without any earlier verifiable records.

Cambridge University has interviews where you personality will be assessed as much as your skill. Once again grades are not central.

Caltech does not always ask for grades, it asks for things far harder to get. Personal recommendations, published work and so on.

Grades are a bad way of finding excellence, one must be pragmatic when admitting students. Sure grades point the way, but they do not paint the full picture.

Picrelated, its proof im not bullshitting you.

>> No.1973622

>>1973561

>implying most people on 4chan aren't reasonable, logical people in real life who come here so they can specifically be unreasonable, illogical and trollish to get it out of their system.

>> No.1973678

>>1973600

Thank you for providing proof.

However I find it difficult to believe that vague things such as "personality" are more important than concrete test results. I know people who have very good grades who have gotten into Cambridge, and people who have had inferior grades who did not. It appear to me as if the grades are the determining factor.

>> No.1973692

Pretty decent tbh.
Cornell's the easy one tbh...
I knew people who did it with a 3.7 and way less gpa.

>> No.1973722

>>1973678
as far as I know they skim the top few grades and then interview those

>> No.1973757

>>1973678
Don’t get me wrong, grades do matter, but it’s not necessarily decisive.

The higher you get in education the less your grades will matter.

Personality however only grows more important.

When you are hiring doctoral students for instance, the social attributes; that is they are good at discussions, teaching and conveying a message is just as, if not more, important then their actual skill.

Nobody wants an asocial student that can’t discuss ideas and results, even if all their results are correct.

Then the question; “does he have 4/5 or 5/5 on the test?” becomes quite irrelevant.

I’m sure you see what I mean

I know 2 students of Cambridge, one of them had close to perfect grades, the other had good in math but average in other subjects.

Point im trying to make, is: just go for it.

Don’t think you are not good enough , just try it, I mean why not?

>> No.1973823

The fact that you count 'community hours' in the same way as your other 'vital' statistics means

A) You have no idea what admissions officers actually want to see.
B) You have very little grasp of the real world, and of the real relationships in it.
C) You genuinely believe that what seems important in high school will continue to be important for the rest of your life.

Try again. This time, say:

'I'm fascinated by dopamine. It seems like everywhere you turn, there is a new interpretation for the role it play in the brain--motion, disease, or learning. I worry that my skills aren't on a par with your other applicants: but when I worked with Dr. _______ in your neuroscience department this summer, I fell in love with the subject and I'm willing to do anything to continue my studies.'

You see the difference? Scientists **care** about science. That is their only qualification.

>> No.1973839
File: 10 KB, 420x420, 1267482259840.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1973823

Fucking this. I'm pretty sure this is the only reason I got into a good U, from a mediocre community college with bad-mediocre grades (I didn't give a shit until recently), I made it clear that I really fucking cared about science and chemistry in particular.
If you can point out that you grok yourself when you look at your hand and think about everything in it, your chances go way up.

>> No.1973844

I always thought getting extra GPA points for extra curricular was pretty much bull shit. It's on a 4.0 scale so the most you should be allowed is 4.0... at a university the highest you're gonna get is 4.0.

>> No.1973963

Hey guys, I'll just jump in here and ask my question instead of starting a new thread.

Here are my credentials:
6.2/4.0 GPA
Perfect score on ACT, SAT, LSAT, FE, PE and GRE
500+ community service hours
Head of MUN (We won 1st in Nationals)
Varsity Track & Field, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Hockey, Rowing, and Bobsledding
I'm a black woman
I have an enormous penis

What is the probability of me getting into a community college in Mississippi? I really need the advice of a bunch of anonymous idiots and have no one else to turn to.

thanks /sci

>> No.1973999

>>1973963

In the current economic climate with all the cuts etc. I think you would have 1/9001 % chance of getting in.