[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 97 KB, 741x600, 1274170793214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1967761 No.1967761 [Reply] [Original]

I was going to post this in /x/ but changed my mind,
there is science behind this, and I want to know more.

I have experienced significant episodes of lucid dreaming,
1 episode of Sleep Paralysis
and 1 what I can only describe as an Out of body experience/sensation

now, sleep paralysis is a Known phenomenon, out of body sensations have also been scientifically studied and Lucid dreaming is common enough to say it is a a regular occurance for many.

/sci/
do you experience sleep paralysis ?
have you had Lucid dreams ?

why is it some people think I am insane if i tell them I had a lucid dream, it is like some people have never had any conscious awareness while dreaming.

>> No.1967764 [DELETED] 

Mainstream science the one that /sci/ here talks about, will not explain this.

It will only tell lies.

>> No.1967767

>>1967764

Them fuckers be lyin', and gettin' you pissed?

>> No.1967774

Out of body experiences etc are only the perception of being outside of the body. Lucid dreaming is the same as self-directed imagination, except all your brainpower is directed at it so it feels pretty real. Things experienced during sleep paralysis are just hallucinations as your body adjusts from sleeping to waking state.
- Science

>> No.1967775

I've had regular sleep paralysis episodes for years, to the point of being completely jaded of them, but not a single lucid dream. What do?

>> No.1967776

>>1967761
OP, all of these are well known by science and while the mechanics of how the brain actually works is still an area of intense study, we can pretty well say that none of them involve anything paranormal.

>> No.1967779

>>1967775

I had the longest lucid dream, after my only sleep paralysis episode,
strange

>> No.1967784

>>1967775
Well, if you want to lucid dream, there are ways of triggering it.

One of the most common is to habitually check something like a clock or a book - if the numbers/letters are gibberish and make no sense [and yet you still understand what they say] then you are dreaming, and at that point you may realize that you are dreaming, from there it's simply deciding to do cool stuff.

You have to strike a fine balance between how aware you become though. Too much awareness and you'll wake up from the dream.

Anyways, you can find a lot of topics on the subject but it's basically just a matter of practice. I've infrequently had lucid dreams, but I don't personally seek them out while dreaming.

>> No.1967786

>>1967776
OP here,

i at no stage thought any of this was paranormal,
I mean, take a shitloads of DMT and you are going to experience some shit that will make sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming seem like as mundane as ironing, no paranormal either
im only interested in the science behind it,
and perhaps learning ways to help induce lucidity during more dreams

>> No.1967795

I know of a stunt that was pulled on a radio show in new york, back in the 50's I beleive

some guy stayed up for 8 days or something,
at the end of it, his brain was in sleep state, but he was awake
this and lucid dreaming interests me, but how the hell would you study is,

I attending a talk at defcon 2 years ago on making a home made sleep monitoring device, for REM, heart rate, and things like that,
but setting all that up to catch someone in Sleep Paralysis or lucid dreaming would be time consuming.

>> No.1967819

Sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming tend to go hand in hand. Lucid dreaming is becoming aware when you're in your deep sleep and fully immersed in a dream, this is fun times because you believe and feel like you're in control of your actions, and not only your actions but you can "direct" the dream to an area of your choosing.

Sleep paralysis is similar in that you've become aware you're asleep during your light sleep, this is not fun times because you do not have control of your body and you're very aware of this. This immediately sends you into a panic state, you find it difficult to breath and your fears begin to cross your mind, unfortunately you're asleep enough to allow some of these fears to manifest as hallucinations.

The trick for both is simply to remain calm. This may seem counter intuitive to the sleep paralysis which you want out of straight away but fighting it only makes it worse and is gonna give you a worse jolt when you eventually wake. It's quite easy to drop from a sleep paralysis state into a deeper lucid dream state with practice. Just ride it out calmly and fall deeper asleep rather than urgently trying to wake.

>> No.1967824
File: 44 KB, 644x604, shark.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I fucking hate sleep paralysis. I get it all the time when I'm extremely tired. I experienced it like 3 times on a road trip to Texas in one day.

>> No.1967831

I have lucid dreams almost every night. Sleep paralysis is rarer, but I get it a lot too. I'm glad I found out what it was, because I spent about two years in high school thinking I was getting abducted by aliens on a weekly basis. (Of course, once I learned about sleep paralysis, it all made sense, and now I can even fight my way out of it sometimes. Sucks when you can't breathe, but you get this awesome rush, like you just had a nightmare, when you struggle out of it.)

>> No.1967862

>>1967831
During lucid dreams, can you create and realistically interact with pretty much anything you think of? How does it work out?

>> No.1967882

>>1967862
Very well. I had a dream last night I was eating something (while lucid) and distinctly remember knowing that I could eat forever because I was dreaming, so I just kept eating (lasagna or something) because it was delicious. Tastes aren't as strong as irl though, so it's only a little lacking.

Also, had another dream immediately after that I was playing Warcraft III and wasn't lucid. I got stomped :(

>> No.1967896

>>1967882
You've got to be careful about eating in dreams!
Once, I dreamed about eating a giant marshmallow.
When I woke up, my pillow was gone.

>> No.1967902

>>1967882
What about living things? Fantasy creatures?

>> No.1967904

>>1967862
They sort of just go on their own like normal dreams, but if I think, "hey, I want this to happen instead," I can rewind and start over with something different happening at whatever point I want. Sometimes I'll have the same dream about ten times, but with ten different outcomes. It's like a big Choose Your Own Adventure book, but with better pictures and sometimes nudity.

Frequently, I'm not the main character, just an observer. Sometimes I'm not even me. Sometimes I'm just a desk or a chair or something, and then someone will sit on me and I'll be that person. I can go back and change which person/object I am in the dream, and I can hop around viewpoints at will. (Though if I try too hard I will sometimes wake up.)

Over the years, I've developed a number of locations that persist from dream to dream. There is a house which is incredibly detailed, and in the back is a hill with a forest at the bottom that has had some Fugitive-style chases and also the occasional run-in with goblins. Sometimes they eat me, and sometimes after they eat me I think, "naw, that's a crappy way to wake up," so I'll go back and do it again, but get away this time. I recently discovered the entrance to the underground tunnels which lead into the city centre. The city is imaginary too, but is also fully fleshed out, because I've had the chance to explore it many times as many different people. If the phone in the house rings, I wake up.

>> No.1967906

Dreamt I had a power ring. I was trying really hard to make it materialize something, but all I got was green smoke. It was hard as fuck fucker.

>> No.1967924

>>1967902
Never bothered really. Flying and having super-speed always seems more appealing at the time. I've considered transforming into some 1-2 story bug like thing, kinda like a praying mantis, but I can never remember to try when the opportunity arises.

>>1967906
Yeah, you have to convince your subconscious that it's possible, which is no easy feat.

>> No.1967941

>>1967862
OP here
I wouldnt even say I have control at all, im more an observer, one of my most lucid dreams, I was at a big house, there was many rooms and outside there was a swimming pool/fountain and it lead to a walkway with lots of activity(people etc) on it along the ocean, i walked around, checking this place out, i was limited in how i could interact(people seemed to ignore me), like my wife was in that dream, I went up to her and said like "hey, we are dreaming," etc, i tried to make contact, but, it was obviously not her, it was really quite strange(I asked my wife the next day if she dreamt anything with me in it and she hadn't, which i expected)

what im saying is for me, I have no control, Im, always me in the lucid state, 100% me infact but its like im in some dream world(which I am)but it is just like the waking world, but just kind of odd in small ways, like I watched a wave break in one lucid dream and it didnt break how a real wave would break, little things like that, maybe I have just not mastered it yet.

but, what freaks me out so much, is that, i am so aware, so conscious in my dreams, my memories of my lucid dreams are just as real as my memories of events that i have done in waking life,

>> No.1967952

what I would be interested in,
to simplify it,
does intelligence play a part in lucid dreaming....

what sort of person is more likely to become lucid as opposed to someone who has never become lucid and never does...

are more people becoming able to dream lucidly ? are we evolving to a point that our dreams and how we deal with them are changing,

>> No.1967954

>>1967776
You know. This post made me think. What is science if not but an explanation for the paranormal?

We should just combine /x/ and /sci/, I guarantee a lot of good would come from it.

>> No.1967956

>>1967941
> my memories of my lucid dreams are just as real as my memories of events that i have done in waking life
I get this too. It's a problem sometimes, like when I dream that I paid my rent or that someone said something important to me. Then a few days later I'll get an angry call from my landlord or I'll make a reference to a conversation I had that didn't really happen, and my friends will all think I'm an idiot.

Basically, I have to write down *everything*.

On the plus side, I composed the better part of a musical in my sleep one night (that is, I attended a performance of it), spent the next day just writing it out without even having to think about it, and had it ready weeks ahead of the deadline. :)

>> No.1967964

>>1967954
As soon as it is quantified and explained, it is no longer paranormal. Science and paranormal mix like science and religion: sure, people like to say that their beliefs are backed by science, but they are ultimately incompatible.

>> No.1967983

>>1967952
Intelligence probably has little to do with it. (Intelligence is a tricky thing to define anyway.) Seems more likely to be a brain chemistry thing. Maybe people with a family history of schizophrenia will be more likely to dream lucidly? Something like that? It's not really my field, though, so I don't know....

I'd also like to point out that although I sometimes wake with sleep paralysis, I also move in my sleep a lot. (Girlfriends hate this, by the way, especially when you're fighting off goblins or competing in the Olympic 100 meters.) I suspect that the two are related: the mechanism that freezes the body in sleep so that you *don't* thrash around in bed and hit the person beside you is defective, sometimes acting when it shouldn't, and sometimes failing to act when it should.

>> No.1967998

>>1967983
They disabled the sleep paralysis in a cat while it dreamed and it wandered around and did normal cat things while asleep. It was really interesting.