[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 335x500, math-equations.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1922536 No.1922536 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Ask a math PhD dropout anything.

>> No.1922539

What is your favorite example of a lie algebra?

>> No.1922540

How does it feel not to make 300k starting?

>> No.1922553

What the hell do you research in math at the PhD level? Try to make up new theroms?

>> No.1922563

What stage did you drop out at? Classes? Quals? Thesis? Why? Was the advisor a jerk? Too much work? Found better pay opportunities?

Oh wait, 17 year old trying for epic troll, right?

>> No.1922578

>>1922539

My area of research was computational group theory so I never worked with Lie algebras but I did work with the discrete equivalents of Lie groups. Out of the finite groups the Tits group is my favorite.

>>1922540

I'm making 180k right now. No sweat off my back.

>>1922553

There's a theorem known as the classification theorem for finite simple groups. It is about 10,000 pages of mathematics spread over more than a hundred sources. My adviser worked on finding flaws in the proof and repairing them. I ran computational experiments to assist him.

>> No.1922590

>>1922578
Job?
Age?
Why did you drop out?

>> No.1922593

>>1922563

I dropped out after just over a year. There were a number of factors going into my decision but ultimately it came down to being denied coauthorship on a paper.

>> No.1922601

>>1922590

I'm 30 and work as a software developer for a large online retailer. As for the reason for dropping out, see >>1922593

>> No.1922608

>>1922601
Boring, should have kept on going

>> No.1922612

Where'd you go for your degree? Did I you transfer into the doctoral program or just continue from that university's masters program?

>> No.1922616

>>1922601
Do you masturbate?

>> No.1922628

Is it possible to representate all the rational numbers in a number straight?

>> No.1922635

>>1922608

Fucking boring indeed. I was expecting some revolutionary mathematician who deplored the collective studio system and social behavior

>> No.1922647

>>1922608

Fuck no. My life as a grad student was boring. I headed to LA after I left and haven't looked back. Not only do I get paid more than I would as a professor but I have time to explore things I would never have been able to as a grad student. Besides the hookers in LA are absolutely gorgeous and really fucking cheap.

>>1922612

Cornell. I did my undergrad there, took a few years off in which I worked as a freelance developer and a research assistant then started grad school. Never got my master's.

>>1922616

Only to pics of your dad.

>> No.1922658

>>1922628

What the fuck are you smoking?

oic you're going for the equivalent of the axiom of choice. so your answer is yes. or no. you chose.

>> No.1922667

>>1922647
From reading this post I'm glad you quit. We don't need another dumbass professor who doesn't care about his job. Good move.

>> No.1922672

how much work were you doing daily, on average, when you were working for your phd?

>> No.1922673

Was it a top phd program? I'm 18 and all i know is linear algebra and am currently brushing up on ODEs, while people around me are going to ivy league math undergrads and are so much more amazing at math. I want to go into an applied math masters program at a top school, but i don't know what research (besides GRE) i should do to get it. I'm also not very good at math compared to others.

Also, I have no programming experience or computer theory knowledge and only know basic java. I heard applied math is all combintronics/numerical analysis, which is heavily dependent on computer knowledge. Is it way too late for me to start? I was thinking about going to a bio field relating to abstract algebra, but seriously.... abstract algebra in applied math is extremely rare.

I heard all the math people either become software engineers or teachers. I would go into finance but my math skills/quick thinking logic aren't good enough to compete, and i really want applied research.

What about physics? not quantum physics... is there any field out there that needs advanced math? I wouldn't mind solving PDEs all day (haven't gotten far into that topic though).

>> No.1922678

>>1922667

FYI none of the professors at serious universities care about teaching your dumb ass. All they care about is their research. And if you think otherwise you probably went to a shitty school.

>> No.1922682

>>1922647
Just how selective is Cornell really? Top 0.01% of GRE scores and ten papers published?

>> No.1922691

OP you're a fucking disgrace to science and maths.
We dont need fucktards like you,gtfo!

>> No.1922730

>>1922672

I spent almost all my free time either on my own coursework, lecturing (I taught calculus), or working as a research assistant. Typically 60-90 hours a week.

>>1922673

Cornell's math department is ranked in the top 10 (or 20 depending on the year and who is doing the ranking).

If you're going in as an undergrad you may be able to get into a decent program depending on your grades and SAT scores. Colleges aren't looking for specialization that early. It's a time to figure out what you want to do. I'd take some CS, math and economics/business courses based on your stated interests and see what works best for you.

With a degree in math you can also work for the NSA, become a research mathematician or professor.

>> No.1922751

>>1922682

For undergrad I think the admission rate is something like 1 in 4. I don't know the selectivity for the grad program.

I got an 800 math 720 verbal GRE score. The GRE won't get you in, however it can keep you out. I did original research as an undergraduate and had worked closely with several faculty members which also helped.

>>1922691

u mad?

>> No.1922752

How does one become alpha as fuck in the field of Mathematics?

>> No.1922770

>>1922730
are you still pissed at the guy that wouldn't co author the paper with you?

>> No.1922780

OP, are you burnt out on math or are you still interested in it(i mean besides the stuff your job requires)?

>> No.1922784

>>1922730
I'm going to northeastern, which has a kinda bad program. I could have went to umich or carnegie but i decided to do pharmacy, and now i'm switching.

how far can individual work get me, or do i need major research with profs? i think i want to do science research, since i'm not in a pure maths field, but what's math research like?

>> No.1922791

OP, I'm a biology undergrad. I'll apply for a PhD this year and next if I don't get in. Please tell me as much as you'd like about everything that led to your dropping out.

>> No.1922805
File: 8 KB, 327x273, EtoM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Illustrations or videos showing the process of discovery of the antinucleus and the antiatom.

>> No.1922810

>>1922752

Kill all the lesser mathematicians.

>>1922770

I was bitter at first and even now it's not the most pleasant of memories. But it's in the past and I'm not going down that path any more so it doesn't really matter. For me grad school was more of a stop-gap than a major life direction so I'm glad it gave me a reason to get on with life.

>> No.1922814

>>1922805

Sorry. Wrong thread. Lol.

>> No.1922820

>>1922601

is your job as a software developer boring? are you just doing code monkey shit? are you doing interesting shit like operations research?

>> No.1922829

>>1922601

is your job as a software developer boring? are you just doing code monkey shit? are you doing interesting shit like operations research or inventory optimization?

>> No.1922835

are there many black people in your field?

>> No.1922862

>>1922829
Any discrete geometry in OR? Is it used extensively?

Also, is linear programming fun?

>> No.1922905

>>1922780

I'm glad to do a little math here and there but I don't burn the candle at both ends for it anymore. Right now I'm working on our company's metrics system so there's a little bit of statistics involved which I find to be enjoyable.

>>1922784

I'd definitely recommend working with a prof. They can review your work and write a letter of recommendation for you. Having a good letter is important, especially if the person is known in their field.

Math research for me had a distinctly computational slant but that's mostly because I have a strong cs background and was able to utilize it effectively. I imagine there's commonality amongst all researchers. If you enjoy the process of discovery then you'll probably enjoy research.

>> No.1922908

OP's probably fingering his asshole to Reo Speedwagon.

>> No.1922911

>>1922791

I could write a whole paper on this topic alone. Here's the short version.

Two years before grad school I started working as a research assistant. I was well-paid ($50/hr cash at the end of each session, all under the table). The professor I was working with asked if I wanted to get my PhD for the work I was doing. He said up front that if I did that he wouldn't be paying me but he would give me co-authorship on the papers I worked on with him. I thought that sounded like a good idea so I applied and was accepted. We worked together for another year. He had another student, an undergraduate, who was more closely involved with the mathematics, whereas I was running the computational experiments. When it came time to publish he said that he thought I hadn't been involved enough in the mathematics of the paper and that he would give me a mention but authorship would be limited to him and his other student. Essentially I got boned out of the credit because my work complemented his work, whereas the other student's work supplimented his work.

The next meeting we had after he told me this I told him I didn't want to work with him anymore. He seemed a bit surprised but didn't protest. That's how our working relationship ended.

At this point I was still in school but was already unhappy with my situation (personal issues, boredom with the small town we were living in, etc.) and decided I needed a change. So I finished out the semester, went on a leave of absence and never went back.

>> No.1922929

>>1922911

how old were you when you graduated with your bachelors in math?

>> No.1922935

>>1922862

i think graph theory is often used in OR

i don't know about fun, but LP is extremely useful for product manufacturing and quality control; airline companies spend millions designing algorithms to optimize air traffic routes.

>> No.1922942

Would you recommend pursuing mathematics as a degree? I'm an thermal/fluid sciences engineer halfway through a masters, and am becoming more and more interested mathematics. Considering taking courses to get at least a BS for it. Or would you recommend self studying for the chance to go in the direction you want?

>> No.1922947

>>1922911
Sounds like a real jerk-move from your prof. As far as I know, even clueless undergrads and techs who have no idea what the paper is even about get authorship. But then I heard plenty of horror stories where the advisor out and out steals a phd students thesis work and publishes by himself.

Is that kind of thing common in math? Is it widely frowned upon?

Also, I'd love to hear more, especially about your "personal stuff", if it's not too private. I probably have no realistic option but grad school, but at least I'd like to know how to deal with shit.

Thanks for sharing.

>> No.1922958

>>1922942

Forgot to mention, also planning to switch into a phd program at the end of this year.

>> No.1922959

>>1922829

The software gig is a mixed bag. Six months ago I was going to quit out of frustration. I'm working on the infrastructure team and we've got some challenging engineering projects in the works. We're switching our site to a service-oriented architecture. Also, I've been playing with Hadoop and Pig and some cloud computing stuff which is pretty interesting. Every once in a while a graph theory problem comes up but they're pretty basic. The joy isn't so much in the theory but in the details of creation.

>>1922835

none.

>>1922862

The only time I did any linear programming was in school.

>>1922908

I do, on occasion, finger my asshole. I also have slept with several transsexuals.

>> No.1922978

What programs do you frequently use?

>> No.1922988

integration!!!! give me the 30 sec lesson on it in 1 post and you will have over 9000 internets! im doing a 100 level paper in uni

>> No.1923012

>>1922929

23. I took a year off before I started at Cornell.

>>1922942

Math is tough for self-study. I originally started studying software engineering at a different college but left because it was stuff I could pick up by reading websites. Math was harder and the structure of the undergrad program really helped me focus my efforts.

I'd always recommend math courses even for people not in the sciences. The applications are pretty far-reaching and in almost every workplace there's some form of mathematics being used. And if you like the course you take then consider switching majors.

>> No.1923021

>>1922959
>I do, on occasion, finger my asshole. I also have slept with several transsexuals.

OP is confirmed for glorious faggotry. You're still alpha as fuck in my opinion, I'm jealous of your mathematics skills.

>> No.1923037

>>1922911
Were you being funded when you were a grad student?

>> No.1923040

Is this your angle?
>I was too much for my professors to handle, so I abandoned ship and begun doing my own research in quantitative financing.
And then a Wall Street guy hires you for
>400K starting
?

>> No.1923048

>>1923012

Good to know. I already have a BS, so I don't really need to worry about majors. In any case, I'd probably continue my work (hopefully through a PhD completion) and do mathematics on the side. Even as it is, most of my classes are closer to applied mathematics than science, but it's only made me more interested in going deeper. I think I'll look into the classes here.

>> No.1923050

>>1922947

Not all professors are as charitable with their credit-giving. Honestly even though it didn't suit me I could see where he was coming from. We were interested in different things - he the mathematical aspects and me the computational aspects. He suggested that I may be able to write my own paper on the subject of the programs I'd written (which by the way was a fascinating area - we had naturally undecidable problems). The problem was that he couldn't be an adequate adviser to such a paper and there wasn't anyone in the department who I saw that could help me with that.

As far as the personal stuff, I started grad school for stability after getting out of a 4 year relationship. It was a stop-gap for me, not necessarily a long-term career decision. I think that made it easier for me to leave when the going got a bit rough. I could have stayed, put in my 5 years and gotten my degree. I just didn't see the point.

>> No.1923083

>>1922978

In math I was using Magma and GAP - two specialized packages for computational algebra.

Nowadays I use emacs to write my code. We use Perl and Java in-house.

>>1922988

All you need to know about integration is the fundamental theorem of calculus. It essentially states that the derivative is the inverse operation of the integral. So to find an integral F(x) = int( f(x) dx ) just find some function F(x) so that d/dx F(x) = f(x). For example for polynomials you know d/dx x^3 = 3 x^2. So Int( 3 x^2 ) = x^3 + C where C is the constant of integration.

>>1923021

ty, ty

>>1923037

Yes. I got tuition + living expenses. Nobody pays their own way through grad school for math.

>>1923040

I'm actually working with a friend on some day trading software as a side project. We'll see how that pans out ;)

>> No.1923102

>>1922593
This is why I worry about grad school in physics. I would take something like that VERY personally, so much so that I would invariably begin to act passive-aggressive towards all parties involved.

Fucking science majors and our social malfunctions.

>> No.1923111

>>1922959
Sounds like engineering might have been a better choice for you. Have you considered getting an MS in something related to your work, or is certification at this point sort of a waste?

>> No.1923181

>>1923083
OP, what's the fucking point in Mathematics? I mean, I guess it's my way of asking why did you intend on going so far in your studies of Mathematics? Why did it interest you so much?

Great responses so far, it's very interesting to hear from you.

>> No.1923194

>>1923102

lol i know what you mean. i definitely can get pissed off at people and treat them like shit. looking back i think i handled this one surprisingly well. we just had different agendas so i moved on.

>>1923111

Well it's definitely easier. I enjoyed my research, too, in fact moreso than the engineering. If I had been able to find my niche in the computational realm I may have stayed on. It wasn't just my advisor that was a hurdle, though. I went to a conference on computational group theory in which all 80 of the people working in the field attended. Most of them were douchebags. I talked to one guy about extensions to a database of small groups he had built and he just went off on me about how the database wasn't licensed for extensions and I better not think of messing with it. I know that sounds like a batshit insane response, especially for someone in academics, but that's what he said. He was visibly perturbed. After that experience I didn't really feel like trying to wage an uphill battle to carve out a niche amongst a bunch of assholes.

As for my current path, no further certification is necessary. I'm already a senior software engineer and could make principal engineer in the next two years. After that there's a senior principal position, but there's only a handful of those amongst several thousand developers. It might be something to shoot for by 40. At this point any time off would be an interruption to my career progression. Also, people in the software industry seem to be impressed by the fact that I dropped out of a math PhD program, perhaps moreso than if I had an MEng or MS in CS.

>> No.1923223

post a pic of yourself!

>> No.1923241

>>1923181

That's a good question, and one that might be a bit difficult to explain. There was appeal in the elite status of the mathematician in the academic hierarchy. Also, working in a field where less than 100 other people on the planet could follow your work was cool. I'm not sure that I can articulate why, just something about the esoteric nature of it captured my interest. Then of course there was the work itself. Getting a new result is one of the most satisfying experiences there is. Also, the work we were doing was chipping away at flaws in one of the largest proofs in mathematics. There was always the chance that we could find a major flaw and come up with a new simple group. A result like that would send ripples through the mathematical community even beyond our direct area of study.

My motives didn't start out quite so complex. When I went back to school I decided to go for something challenging and that I wouldn't pick up on my own (unlike most of the engineering/cs skills I've developed).

>> No.1923244

First we have Harvard guy, then we get CERN guy, now a Ph.D dropout guy...we're moving up in the world, /sci/!

>> No.1923259

>>1923223

face, body or cock?

>> No.1923268

>>1923259
Math degree and timestamped paper draft.

>> No.1923274

>>1923259

anyone you want lol

>> No.1923286

HELP MOTHERFUCKERS.

x + 2/3 = 4

Yeah I am underage but fuck it, I need your help. I subtracted 2/3 from 4 but ended up with 3.3 repeating, which I don't think is right. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

>> No.1923316

>>1923286
just leave it as a fraction.

>> No.1923318

>>1923286
No that's correct.

You might want to express it as 3 1/3 however.

And fractions like that? How old are you, 12?

>> No.1923320

>>1923316
3 1/3?

>> No.1923325

>>1923318
No dude, I'm not 12. I have problems with Math, that's why I'm trying to improve on it.

I didn't appreciate that comment by the way.

>> No.1923326

>>1923286
Assuming you're not trolling... Convert 4=12/3

So 12/3-2/3 = 10/3

>> No.1923328
File: 90 KB, 644x861, me math.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923268
>>1923274

delivared

>> No.1923333

>>1923328
Cheers mate. Cool shades. Thanks for the advice.

>> No.1923335

>>1923325
i'm another guy. you were right, what you've run into is the problem in expressing certain fractions as decimals. that's all.

>> No.1923341

>>1923333

Yeah it's been fun. I think that's it for me.

ITT: OP boning out.

>> No.1923345

>>1923325
>>1923325
Let me elaborate on that, just so I can try and redeem myself. I know, it sounds like I'm 12.

Pretty much my 7th grade year I didn't pay attention in class, and really in my 6th grade year the teacher didn't help me at all with that stuff. Maybe they taught it back in the 5th or 4th but I can't remember, I've always had problems with math.

My 8th grade year, I had problems and stopped going, and came back about a month before school got out. I don't know how the fuck they let me move on but I did. 9th grade, I dropped out and went into an online school, and continued until just this year. I'm back in a public school and doing fine - but I've missed tons of important math information that I should have learned earlier on in life.

I'm supposed to be a Junior but they wouldn't accept some of the credits I completed, so I'm taking sophmore and freshmen classes.

>> No.1923348

>>1923341
You got any haunts you hang at, OP? I wish folks like you would trip. At least we know you contribute something.

>> No.1923351

>>1923328
>bachelor of arts

klajsdfloxixcuviou WHY

>> No.1923359

>>1923328

well now we know where you work..

>> No.1923361
File: 15 KB, 425x304, AQfFd.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923325
> I didn't appreciate that comment by the way.

Deal with it.

>> No.1923381

>>1922536

Derive the formula for Force

>> No.1923412

>>1922536

OP, how can you use calculus in useful real life situation

I believe I recall my old calculus 1 teacher saying he used it in the military to calculate the projections for their artillery (or whatever)

Is this true or major trollin'?

>> No.1923422

>>1923412

wtf, were you awake? do you remember arc length?

>> No.1923430

>>1923422

Yeah, no shit, but you're not going to be given a function in real life

Go ahead and explain how from basic information you could calculate where a bullet will land if shot in there air

It's physics, and while I recall doing similar things, I don't remember using calculus

>> No.1923437

>>1923412
>>1923422

>Shoot 10 pound round at an angle of 32 degrees at a force of 3400 pound-force with zero wind.
>Magically get function and use arc length
>lol wut

>> No.1923440

>>1923412

Not OP, but dude, you're dumb as fuck. Or a succesful troll, cos now I mad

>> No.1923445

how old are you?

>> No.1923452

>>1923437
>>1923437

Okay, all I see is physics. Where's the calculus? You don't use bullshit arc length for that. It's just a simple force problem

Seriously, where's the calculus? (No, don't pull that shit where force equals the derivative of momentum with respect to time).

>> No.1923456

>>1923412

Another not OP:

In real life you use numerical methods to approximate to a function, but there's a lot of shit involved before you can use that stuff directly.

The teach it o you in order for you to understand fully what's to come later.

>> No.1923467

>>1923456
>>1923452
>>1923437

Okay, am I completely missing some great explanation where calculus > force mechanics here?

Really, explain how you'd apply calculus to the situation in >>1923437

I'm trying to understand but no one is explaining

>> No.1923470

>>1923412
Not OP here, but I use calculus to make models of systems. From there, model is transformed into workable math.

Control systems engineer reporting.

>> No.1923471

>>1923437
As someone who was stationed at an artillery base, the artillery rounds aren't 10 pounds. They're about 70-105 pounds, depending.

>> No.1923492

>>1923471

Okay fine

>Shoot 100 pound round at an angle of 32 degrees at a force of 6700 pound-force.
It's a simple force problem, there is no calculus involved

So explain how you get a function for that shit since you apparently can

>> No.1923497

>>1923328
Is anyone else disappointed that he looks like a douchebag?

>> No.1923511

>>1923497
Oh, /sci/. Never change.

>> No.1923517 [DELETED] 

Do I have a good chance to get into a top Math or CS PhD program?

I am an undergraduate mathematics major, was published in an undergraduate research journal, and have solid recommendations. I've been in research for a few years now. I have a computer science background,and worked at a top software company as an intern. I am not sure how I'll fair on the subject GRE though. So if I have all that going for me but do not so well on the GRE (which I may do well on who knows) do I still have a shot at top schools?

>> No.1923531

>>1923517
>the future is scary. pwease make it feel better

cap: injustice delern

>> No.1923540

>>1923517
If you have to ask us, you're fucked on so many levels.

>> No.1923551

>>1923517
What school do you go to? The probability obviously decreases as you go down the rankings.

>> No.1923557 [DELETED] 

>>1923531
>>1923551
Solid State University

>> No.1923567 [DELETED] 

>>1923557
Means, a reputable State University

>> No.1923581

I have a friend that published two papers and did terrible on the GRE and attended a low tier undergraduate program. She got accepted to Emory.

>> No.1923604

>>1923551
The school is ranked within the top 50 or so as a graduate school for mathematics

>> No.1923608

>>1923412

Fucking agreed. I got a C+ when I took calculus and i have yet to invent ANY universes.

Calculus is a useless filthy waste of time.

>> No.1923612

>>1923604
Lol, did you actually just delete your last two posts?

Just as well, I was strongly tempted to ask you whether you considered going to Liquid or Gas State Universities.

>> No.1923613

>>1923604
the fact that you are published & have research increases your chances.

>> No.1923621
File: 360 KB, 800x600, IMG_4210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923604
what do i do next?

tryng to isolate y prime btw

any mistakes so far?

im confused what to do with cos(x+y)

>> No.1923633
File: 89 KB, 921x722, thefuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what the fuck is this

>> No.1923640

>>1923621

just cuase it's sooo easy and i miss calculus

>> No.1923644
File: 45 KB, 640x480, Photo on 2010-10-20 at 00.35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there we go

>> No.1923655

>>1923621

am i surrounded by idiots?

cos (x+y) = cos x cos y - sin x sin y

>> No.1923656

>>1923621

get all the terms containing y' on one side. factor out y'. divide both sides by the remaining blob of shit.

and that's it. works every time.

>> No.1923662

>>1923644
oh so the cos (x+y) doesnt get changed....

>wow dude
HEY MAN FUCK YOU I DONT GO TO CLASS OKAY ALSO MY TEACHER HAS A VERY THICK ACCENT AND I CANT READ HIS WRITING also thanks

>>1923640
yeah i figured /sci/ would like enjoy some nostalgia. thanks again.

>> No.1923670

>>1923662
Don't feel bad. Most math and science people forgot this sort of shit eventually anyways. This particular problem is easy as fuck though.

>> No.1923679

>>1923662
I thought you might have my teacher until you said he

then i thought you might have my friends until i remember she just has a mustache and is not a man either

but all 3 have thick accents?

I think I have discovered how to become a maths god.
I must procure an accent, in pure form.

>> No.1923680

>>1923662

no. just leave it as cos(x+y)

>> No.1923699
File: 50 KB, 640x480, Photo on 2010-10-20 at 00.54.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923662

ooooooooops forgot a negative sign which slllliiiightly tweaks the finals answer.

my bad, you should see exactly what i did if you just look at it.

>> No.1923701

How early in your program did you quit?

>> No.1923705

>>1923680
ye brah this was a rookie mistake. looking now it turns out i copied the first half of one question, and the second half (including final answer) of a different question.

so when i took the beggining and tried to do it on my own, then looked at the answer to see if i was on the right path, i was like omgwtfbbq how did cos(x+y) get simplified

>> No.1923712

>>1923705

only ever change the cos(x+y) if you see that it will cancel something out/simplify something.

If there's no advantage to doing it, why would you, besides it take up less space and is less complicated writing as cos(x+y)

no point in overcomplicating things

>> No.1925165

JOBLESS PEOPLE UNITE

>> No.1925174

explain the formal definition of limit

>> No.1925178

OP, how was your math skill in high school? i'm a college sophomore and am terrible at problem solving, my IQ is only 118 and logic puzzles destroy me, while my math SAT was a 710. all I know is multivariable calc and am currently studying set theory/logic by myself, since I'm doing econ. I'm thinking about only getting a minor in that now (fuck these theory circlejerk classes) and doing applied maths.

Do you need an incredibly strong foundation as a kid to do well in the future, such as getting into grad school at a top 15 school, or can most of it be trained through extensive studying (not memorizing facts, improving problem solving skills?)

>> No.1925838

doing a math grad at arizona state and trying to get into top phd, how go

>> No.1926158

>>1925838
switch your major to something else and get into a top chool

>> No.1926203

>>1926158
if you are a math major and want to get into a top school good luck. unless you are the top 1% of math majors you probably won't get into a top 10 school. change your major to something easier and your chances will increase.

>> No.1926217

dude, are math truths timeless and universal?
can math be questioned?

>> No.1926328

become a sociology major

>> No.1926341

>>1926203

What we talking about? Going to say an ivy league school, doing summer research, and getting an honorable mention on the Putnam?

>> No.1926353

>>1926341
I was being overly dramatic, you don't have to do all those things to get into a top school. Although those are very helpful. The best thing you can do to increase your chances is to get involved in research. Whether that be an REU, study semesters program, or working with your professor during the summer/semester. This will do two things 1) Give you research experience 2) Give you recommendation letters. You aren't expected to publish as an undergraduate, but if you do that is an exceptional accomplishment.

>> No.1926434

>>1926353

Alright. I'm seriously stressing about getting into at least a top 20 program.

I go to MIT and I've done research REUs. I'm trying to get a paper published based on my research the last summer. Also, I'm studying for the Putnam.

Honestly, I think I'm just putting too much pressure on myself, I was just curious as to what it would take.

>> No.1926483

>>1926434
Good luck with the paper. Which REU did you attend?

A paper I co-authored was recently accepted for publication. I am tan undergraduate as well trying to figure out the process myself.

>> No.1926489

>>1926483
"tan" should be "an".

>> No.1926542

>>1926483

I did research on elliptic curves at MSRI in Berekely. Specifically, I worked on rational distance sets on conic sections. How about you?

>> No.1926554

>>1926353

I have two co-authored papers and a first author paper.

But a 3.0 GPA

Do I have a chance?

>> No.1926587

>>1926554
I would definitely say so.

>>1926542
I did research in mathematical logic at my university.

>> No.1926590

>>1926554

Harvard admitting a community college magician.

I think you have a chance, but of course, you should have a great GRE score.

>> No.1926706

>>1923244

we had a harvard guy? What did he do?

>> No.1926727

>>1926681
can you help with this?

>> No.1926784

>>1923328
Ok everyone break it up shows over
This guys is obviously a troll
If he had majored in mathematics he would have a bachelors of science and wouldn't look like a pothead

>> No.1926801

>>1926784

He could have a BA in economics and then mastered in CS and Mathematics. You only need a math intensive major to get a master in math.

It's still impressive that he went to Cornell regardless.

>> No.1926820

>>1926784

>wouldn't look like a pothead

How many math grad students do you know?

I mean they don't smoke pot, but damn, they definitely aren't the most dapper looking bunch. I know quite a few who look and act like they're half insane.

>> No.1926826

How did you avoid an heroing?

>> No.1926828

>>1926820
I happen to know how half insane people look like
I happen to be half insane
I think...

>> No.1926832

>>1926820

>>I know quite a few who look and act like they're half insane.

Only act? Any real grad student is actually insane.

>> No.1926843

>>1926828
>>1926832

Alright, alright, so looking like a pothead doesn't disqualify someone from being a math dude.

I met one of the best number theorists in the world, Noam Elkies, and man, that guy is, well he's off the beaten path.

>> No.1926855
File: 16 KB, 344x400, Euler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1926820
Well Euler does look half insane at least
and so does Einstein

>> No.1928338

>>1926855
Euler only looks 'insane' in that photo and only because of some condition with his eye.
Einstein was because of his hair. lol

>> No.1928349
File: 4 KB, 207x237, 1283158197223.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923492

lol, as i am not amerifag, i wont use fucking pound force for anything, but;

Say you want to launch a mass of 10kg in an arc, and hit a target 10m below you, 100 m away.
between you and your target there is a huge fucking wall 60m high, 50m away, so you need to overshoot it.

also, your bomb is most effective if exploded 7,3m over the ground, so you need to set the fuse correctly.

Solve without calculus please.

you fucking troll

>> No.1928983

>>1926784
12 year old detected

>LOL MOMMY TOLD ME THAT PEOPLE SHOULD DRESS IN NECKTIES AND USE TABLE MANNERS, I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS WELL BACK TO SUCKING ON HER TITS!