[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.04 MB, 1693x2268, bubble_chamber.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1889937 No.1889937 [Reply] [Original]

hi /sci/

i am double majoring in physics and math, and planning to pursue a career in particle physics. not every course is opened in my school, mainly because my school's physics department is mostly specialized in photonics and optics. i am planning to take the courses i cannot have and i should have as indepent studies, and i wonder what would /sci/ suggest me to take? i will take one about differential geometry, and one about elementary particles, but what else?

thanks in advance.

pic related. this shit is cool.

>> No.1889953

bump.

>> No.1889958
File: 404 KB, 446x400, girlslaughing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>a career in particle physics

>> No.1889972

>>1889958

why so funny?

>> No.1889995

I suggest you study medicine so you can actually be useful to society.

>> No.1890007

>>1889995
>implying doctors are useful

>> No.1890009

here's the thing: i don't fucking care about the society. i worship knowledge, and i want to know more and more. i just can't figure out which one is better: finishing the university early or having lots of extra courses in it.

>> No.1890036

>>1890007

Have fun treating that [insert any one of thousands of deadly diseases here] on your own.

>>1890009

Here's the thing, I don't care about what you care about.

>> No.1890177

as a math major, i suggest functional analysis. i'm not sure how much the modern treatment of particle physics requires knowledge about quantum physics, but if you want to understand quantum physics properly you'll definitely need functional analysis!

>> No.1890191

>>1889995
Technologies created at FermiLab have paid it off 10 times over.

@OP, take Linear Algebra, Abstract Linear Algebra, Intro to Topology, and as much Electricity and Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics classes as possible.

(Physics/math double major senior)

>> No.1890252

>>1890177
>>1890191
thank you both. i also plan to take some quantum field theory, but i guess i will first need to finish up with those quantums and so.

>> No.1890310

differential geometry and functional analysis are both extremely important for modern physics, so you already taking differential geometry and the functional analysis suggestion are great!

linear algebra and such will aid greatly in your understanding of functional analysis if you don't have any idea of linear algebra.

intro course to topology could help alot too, since very general concepts are discussed there which arise often in diffgeo, fa and qft.

apart from that obviously as much courses in physics related to particle physics will help you.

all in all it's big list of things you'll have to learn, make sure you spread it out enough so everything's stays tight in the end.