[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 30 KB, 500x350, Dome Home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1853774 No.1853774 [Reply] [Original]

When are we going to start seeing Domed Homes being built?

Reasons why they are more efficient than traditional homes.

1) The entire dome is one structure so there are no cracks to let out heat or air bringing energy costs down

2) They are the perfect shape for areas on the cost and in middle America that suffer from strong storm activity. The shape is made for wind to move around it rather than being caught on the flat surfaces of traditional homes which means they can survive under the worst storm conditions.

3) They are cheaper to build than the average house because they use less supplies and require less steps and planning than the Traditional home.

I mean I don't know about you guys but living inside of one of these would be fucking awesome.

>> No.1853778

I'd live in a dome house.

OP, are you a dome house salesman?
you sure sold me.

>> No.1853785

What do you mean start? I'm aware of three in my home area. They could stand to be more common sure, but it's not some new-fangled invention

>> No.1853789

>>1853778

No I just saw a special on these on the Planet Green channel and they sold me on it, they look homey as shit I really wanna get one if I every get a job

>> No.1853793

>>1853789
Did they show the interior? One downside of them is that there isn't a lot of flexibility when it comes to room design

>> No.1853794

OP has never built anything in his life

>> No.1853805

>>1853793

The inside has rooms, the whole point is the surrounding exterior structure is one solid thing so its more efficient not just as a structure but energy wise.

The inside has walls installed so your still going to have a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, etc. It really is just an average house except its more awesome and can survive hurricanes

>> No.1853808

>>1853794

NOT FUCKING TRUE, I built a birdhouse 3 years ago and its still sitting on my desk....I should have planted a tree first.

>> No.1853811

>>1853805
I know that, I'm just saying that in terms of layout a circle is trickier than a square to design around

>> No.1853818

>>1853811

This is the thing I saw, I found it first fucking try on youtube IM FUCKING AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZVIBhKqWc

>> No.1853834

Looks like my dream mansion will have some adjustments.

>> No.1853841
File: 42 KB, 529x449, domeET.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

monolithic domes are better because starwars

>> No.1853852

>>1853774 When are we going to start seeing Domed Homes being built?

When some developer gets a hardon for them and starts filling whole developments with them. Soon enough other developers will follow suit. Then we'll have whole suburbs filled with McDomes.

>> No.1853854

>>1853841
why can't they just build concrete framed brick buildings to withstand hurricanes and shit ?

>> No.1853856

Domed houses are inefficient in their use of space.

All of the external walls are curved, so you can't put furniture flush against the wall as you can with a square house. You need substantially more square footage for a livable residence than you do with a traditional square home.

>> No.1853875

>>1853856
>All of the external walls are curved, so you can't put *traditional* furniture flush against the wall as you can with a square house
Fix'd

>> No.1854097

They look weird, thus will never be accepted by the public, energy savings be damned. Same as most electric cars etc.

/thread

>> No.1854098

They're nothing new; I've even seen a couple of them in my middle of fucking nowhere rural city in a third world country. They're super cute and, as you said OP, able to withstand the most fucked up of storms.

They do have a couple setbacks: you have to plan everything ahead if you want to keep the dome shape, as any expansion on the original plan involves adding a room outside the dome or redoing the whole thing. They're also ridiculously hard to build without the right materials and experienced workers, and not many construction workers have worked on any type of dome before. This may vary from area to area, of course. I'm from a place where houses are made of brick and cement with an internal metal structure, and most people just ask an architect a couple of questions and then just up and build their own damn houses. Not likely to try and build a dome.

>> No.1854106

>>1853856
More like less space wasted because you dont have useless corners that can't be used. Round homes at least, are more efficient to heat/cool and are not typically round, more like a 12 sided or so circle.

>> No.1854126

>>3) They are cheaper to build than the average house because they use less supplies and require less steps and planning than the Traditional home.
>>3) They are cheaper to build than the average house because they use less supplies and require less steps and planning than the Traditional home.

no

>> No.1854134

From what I've read, they're acoustically awful (actually they're acoustically awesome so the whole house is noisy), and terrible to build.
Consider what a bitch it is just to drywall something like that.

>> No.1854146

Why now make a small bio-dome and place a normal shaped house inside the bio-dome? Not only would you have the added benefit of a rounded structure that is hurricane resistant but you'd also be living in a green house. Would reduce heating costs to nil. Also you'd have a sizable part of your lawn enclosed under the bio-dome so you can go for a walk outside even when it's raining or if you have a dog just open the front door and let them roam around outside the house under the bio-dome.

>> No.1854154
File: 261 KB, 705x687, preposterous.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The entire dome is one structure
>implying my house isn't one structure

>> No.1854179

>>1854146
>spongbob holding wallet.jpg

>> No.1854183

they're great if you like loft style house but as soon as you start dividing it it screws up so much space .
The best one are the one built with 10x8 wood as they require no isolation and inside finition.

>> No.1854188

sound like you've read too much venus project

>> No.1854192

>>1854126
yes.

>> No.1854214
File: 42 KB, 520x318, 1085732_f520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love geodesic dome homes. Trying for years to convince my wife to buy some land and build one.

If you want to talk energy efficiency, there's nothing better than an earthship.

/pic related

>> No.1854226

>>1854214
Is that actually yours?

>> No.1854230

> They are cheaper to build than the average house because they use less supplies and require less steps and planning than the Traditional home

It's gonna take a long ass time. You know, until rich people stop wanting to show how rich they are by building the largest most extravagant mansion they can, with steps that they don't even need and a garage nicer than most of our own houses.

>> No.1854346

>>1854226
I wish.

>> No.1854378

>>1853808
I lol'd a bunch.

>> No.1854379

>>1854230
They're actually not that difficult to build. They are sold in kits with color-coded connectors and pre-cut lumber. The shell can be assembled by anyone who has a moderate degree of aptitude with basic power tools.

Check out:
http://www.domehome.com/faqs.html

>> No.1854483

>>1853856
I invite you to look at a floor plan. The flat sections are large enough to place a headboard against or a dresser or buffet so furnishing a dome home is not difficult. Because of their open concept design, there is no need to place couches against walls. Most large furniture can be situated in the centre of a room and still allow for a natural flow through the space.

>> No.1854487

that house is ugly as shit.

>> No.1854508

>>1853856
you get more space to waist with the same amount of building material so whats wrong with waisting some of the extra

>> No.1854565

They are a lot more expensive, for minimal benefit.

i rage every time I remember we are still using wood/gypsum/fiberglass instead of steel and recycled plastics.

drywall is the stupidest fucking thing i have ever heard of. i sincerely doubt you could come up with a less-appropriate construction material if you tried. brittle, weak, if it ever gets wet it fucking falls apart. and HEAVY AS SHIT on top of it all.

the entire idea of permanent interior walls (within one household or heating zone) is foolish. all the sound insulation needed can be achieved cheaper and easier through non-permanent means.

>> No.1854581

>>1853841
I'm pretty sure cost efficiency had something to do with OP's arguments.

Heck, I'll take a guess, 800 000 bucks for one of those?

>> No.1854586

>>1854230
ok i agree with that.

just down the road a mansion is being built, its been being built for bout 5 years. it has two spa pools, 2, who the fuck needs two spa pools

>> No.1854634

>>1854581
Oh for fucks sake....NO!

Here is the site where you can purchase the kits.

http://www.domehome.com/faqs.html#complete

From the website:

"What are the price ranges for the different types of Timberline kits and packages?

Our standard floor plan package kits range from approximately $11,200 to $63,200; these packages include a complete dome shell kit, a skylight allowance, and any associated riser walls, extensions kits, ledgers and ledger hardware needed to complete the particular floor plan. This range covers plans for garages, and garage/workshops, smaller homes, mid-size homes, on up to our larger two-dome models.

3/8 sphere domes kits range from approximately $9,000 up to $18,000 for Complete Dome Kits; from $7,000 to $14,500 for Strut Framing Kits; and from $5,000 to $8,300 for Connector Value Package kits.

5/8 sphere domes kits range from approximately $12,600 up to $21,600 for Complete Dome Kits; from $9,900 to $19,000 for Strut Framing Kits; and from $5,900 to $10,200 for Connector Value Package kits."

So, assuming you don't pay through the nose for the property to build on, get a decent price on the foundation, plumbing, and electrical and do the framing yourself your looking at a dome home for probably a little bit cheaper than a cookie cutter home.

Also, watch the fukken video..A handful of only slightly handy people can raise the structure in as little as 3 hours.