[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 24 KB, 226x300, condoms-226x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1837047 No.1837047 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12049024

Arch Sex Behav. 2002 Jun;31(3):289-93.
Does semen have antidepressant properties?
Gallup GG Jr, Burch RL, Platek SM.

Department of Psychology, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, USA. gallup@csc.albany.edu
Abstract
In a sample of sexually active college females, condom use, as an indirect measure of the presence of semen in the reproductive tract, was related to scores on the Beck Depression Inventory. Not only were females who were having sex without condoms less depressed, but depressive symptoms and suicide attempts among females who used condoms were proportional to the consistency of condom use. For females who did not use condoms, depression scores went up as the amount of time since their last sexual encounter increased. These data are consistent with the possibility that semen may antagonize depressive symptoms and evidence which shows that the vagina absorbs a number of components of semen that can be detected in the bloodstream within a few hours of administration.

>> No.1837068

that or the depressed chicks arent getting laid.

>> No.1837067

>Not only were females who were having sex without condoms less depressed
>sex without condoms
>less depressed
> For females who did not use condoms, depression scores went up as the amount of time since their last sexual encounter increased
>did not use condoms
>depression scores went up

So sex without condoms makes you both less and more depressed

>> No.1837074

How happy would you be if you had a sheet of rubber repeatedly poked into you?

>> No.1837078

>>1837068

Or the chicks that aren't getting let get depressed.

>> No.1837079

Semen contains hormones that cause a positive response in a receptive female.

>> No.1837083

>>1837067
you missed a few facts here

>Not only were females who were having sex without condoms less depressed
>sex without condoms
>less depressed
> For females who did not use condoms, depression scores went up as the amount of time since their last sexual encounter increased
>went up as the amount of time since their last sexual encounter increased
>time since their last sexual encounter

>> No.1837089

>>1837083
>These data are consistent with the possibility that semen may antagonize depressive symptoms

>> No.1837104

I got friend zoned by a girl and later learned she was diagnosed with clinical depression.

This proves this theory (geuss).

>> No.1837108

Very retarded conclusions. It's more likely that having sex without condom is more rewarding physically and more relaxing, which helps improve mood.

The fact that the researchers chose to focus on a possible physiological influence of semen on mood just shows how retarded psychology has become under the influence of this biology-based paradigm.
Yeah, we have genes for smoking, genes for adhd, genes for belief in god, now semen in your vagina makes women less depressed.. Maybe they should try it with gay men too and see if semen in their butts makes them less depressed. Fuck that, it's retarded.

>> No.1837123
File: 32 KB, 378x307, 1264670501867.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Catholics are going to love this

>> No.1837124

>>1837108
>>1837108
Explain this

http://www.tatom.org/documents/CNN.com-StudyNewstudyshows.htm

>> No.1837139
File: 198 KB, 463x555, 1279833451383 copy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1837108
You: "It just makes sense"
Science: "Here is our testable hypothesis" (that components in semen are absorbed and affect the female)

>> No.1837150

>>1837124
That wasn't published anywhere. But it'd be great if it were.

>> No.1837181

>>1837139
Nope. That's their speculation, not their hypothesis. They say
>These data are consistent with the possibility that semen may antagonize depressive symptoms

Which means, the results of the study do not contradict this possiblity. Neither did I. Neither do they contradict the possiblity that aliens from outer space may direct their tractor beams to these women and make them less depressed.

>> No.1837192

Or people who had unprotected sex were in committed, stable relationships and were happier than the sluts and whore looking for validation through casual sex...

I would really like some casual sex, but hitting it raw is just so much better.

>> No.1837197

Can I volunteer for this research? I have no problem creampie'ing a girl for science.

>> No.1837201

>>1837181
Except that they mentioned semen components getting absorbed, and they didn't mention aliens

>> No.1837207

>>1837192
I imagine if the study was published the accounted for this

>> No.1837250

Sure are some potential confounding variables from the sound of this study. They should have conducted this study by having participants first not use condoms, then test depression, then have them use condoms and test for depression again (over several trials), as opposed to measuring two different groups. Additionally, there's the possibility that women are less likely to use a condom with a stable partner and instead rely on birth control once they're sure enough there isn't a threat of std's. In such a case, it's possible measurements of depression result from having several partners rather than one.

>> No.1837255

>>1837047
>the vagina absorbs a number of components of semen that can be detected in the bloodstream within a few hours of administration

I wonder how much those researchers fought to get the job of "vaginal semen administrator."

>>1837207
I wouldn't assume that. When I was a psych student, the professors would have lunch discussions for any students willing to come and talk about a few related articles. The majority of our time was spent picking apart every dumb little mistake or overlooked variable.

>> No.1837269

there are so many potentially confounding variables in this study i don't even know where to begin.

>> No.1837272

>>1837250

Using the same females for both with and without condom trials leads to problems in the possibility that some effects from no-condom sex linger into the condom sex trials, and also the females will age over the trial times.

If they have a large enough sample size, their method works. But the relationship aspect does play a major role in happiness, I agree.

>> No.1837274
File: 23 KB, 576x329, artificial-insemination544.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1837255
>I wonder how much those researchers fought to get the job of "vaginal semen administrator."

In all honesty, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they did picture related instead, or something similar. Maybe a jar of semen and a turkey baster.

>> No.1837356

>>1837201
The study only found evidence of a correlation between the presence of semen of women's reproductive tract and their reduced depression symptoms.
They didn't produce any evidence that they found components of the semen in the blood and that those particular component made women less depressed.
In the final discussion section, they speculate that their findings do not contradict the possibility of a direct link between the sperm in their vaginas and their reduced depression symptoms, given that other studies found evidence that some sperm component get into the blood stream. OK?

So no direct evidence, only speculation. My bet is on the psychological feeling of having sex without a piece of latex between the man and the woman.

>> No.1837396

>>1837356
sorry about the typos there...

>> No.1837500

>People who don't use condoms
irresponsible stupid fucks
>People who use condoms
responsible more intelligent fucks

Stupids fucks are happier than smart fucks. Who would have thought?

>> No.1837561

The take home message is that women love to get pregnant.

So what are you waiting for, /sci/? Get off your computer, go to your loved ones and make them happy!

Oh wait.

Never mind.