[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 264x196, question.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1835289 No.1835289 [Reply] [Original]

Question about the twin paradox. Be aware that my english is not very good so forgive any mistakes.

What i don't get is that why does the twin in the spaceship that remains young if in the twin in the spaceship frame of reference is the earth that's travelling near the speed of light.

I don't know shit about physics, just curious.

>> No.1835293

The rule isn't: No object can go faster than the speed of light; the rule is: no object can go faster than the speed of light with reference to any other.

>> No.1835303

>>1835293
And?
What this has to do with my question?

>> No.1835354

It's because it's the twin on the spaceship that changes frames of reference.
As the twin on the spaceship accelerates, he observes clocks on Earth running slower and the twin on Earth observes the spaceship twin's clock running slower. If the entire Earth were to accelerate now, the spaceship twin would oberve the clocks on Earth return to speed, as would the Earth twin observe the spaceship twin's clock return to speed, and the twins would be the same age.
Instead, the spaceship twin accelerates a second time. The Earth twin observes spaceship twin's clock return to speed, but spaceship twin observes Earth clocks race ahead, and arrives much youner than his Earthbound twin.

>> No.1835368
File: 150 KB, 1000x700, 1285906910870.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1835412

so if I just spun around REALLY REALLY REALLY FAST, would I end up in the future?