[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 59 KB, 500x500, 12506-papa-ratzi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1821708 No.1821708 [Reply] [Original]

Whenever there is a atheist vs religion thread, the atheists mention all the "lies" in the bible. Well, of course the bible isnt to be taken seriously word by word. its about the message. and the bible was written by man, who were influenced by the society of his time. thus, the old testament is rougher than the new testament.
However, i am an atheist, sort of. at the moment, im officially still Christian, but i will officially leave the church within the next month.
ANYWAY, tell me what things about religion / church REALLY piss you off/annoy you. i live in Germany and we have to pay church tax if we are officially religious. FUCK THAT SHIT. also, today some stupid hoe i know said that we have our moral system because of the 10 commandments. i asked her why she doesnt murder people and she said "because of the 10 commandments". yeah, thats the only reason, huh? sounds like she doesnt mind letting her mind be influenced and controlled by the church.
i dont murder people either, but thats not because the 10

>> No.1821710

>>1821708
...........commandments say it, but because im capable of making my own moral decisions. ok?

>> No.1821724

What's there to say? It's a fable, by definition.

>> No.1821741

the bible yes. but what about religion and church?

>> No.1821766

its funny how many people are atheists but are still officially members of the church. i bet if every atheist officially left the church, then the amount of Christians would be much lower in statistics

>> No.1821767

What's keeping you from murdering people, bro? What is the basis of these morals you have?

>> No.1821793

If a pedophile tells you that he's a good baby-sitter, then you trust his judgment of morality?

FUCK YOU!

>> No.1821924

personally, i dont "hate" religion overmuch. I myself believe in "god" (more specifically, i believe there are several theories that allow him to exist within our laws of physics). Similarly, some religions (ie Buddhism) help people out greatly. the principle of religion - a supportive group who help you though tough times and give people enough hope to get on with their lives - is a great idea.

the thing i resent with religion is the supression of free will. I know many religions don't do this, but some (*cough*Catholics*cough*) refuse to listen to reason. I dont mind people believing what they want, as long as they can give the reasons why they believe it and accept that i believe something different, and be willing to maturely discuss our two beliefs.

>> No.1821931

i fully read op's post and found it very interesting

>> No.1821955

lol you have to pay church tax.
What I don't like about religion is the fact that some Christians only go to church at Christmas, or that they only care about God when they need his help.

>> No.1822046

ohai
this is a poem
about darwin
kthxbye

>> No.1822075

>>1821708
i like to start off with people fixated on the 'commandments' with a bit of history.
moses was raised egyptian so no big deal that he produced 'stone tablets writen by god'.
thats basicaly how the egyptians decribed their writing anyway, so no suprise there.
in the egyptian version of the commandants there were 42.
he did what he could to give some moral guidance to the newly freed immoral hebrew slaves.
also, intresting to note; find the correct 'thebian recession' version of the burial texts and you will find that #72 = psalm 23 word for word without ommision or additionbut with much lost in translation
never hurts to spell it out for them that (for english speaking persons) the king james 'version' (i.e. edition) is a goddamned 'EDIT' of the previous versions as much for political reasons as any other.
not to mention the linguistic mishaps preceding;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible
most americans posting here have almost no concept of what has gone before them and have almost no respect or understanding of their freedoms on this matter.
to me, it's remnecent of the phrase "youth is wasted on the young"
i hope you have a comfortable transition in the changing of your official status.
im curious to know more about what that involves.
i grew up military brat in germany and i have always been aware of the requirement to be registered but have little knowledge of what it involves.

>> No.1822084

>>1822075
You're an idiot. Please produce these Egyptian Tablets of Commandments along with the 23rd psalm burial text.

>> No.1822125

>>1822084
resorting to name-calling, are we?

>> No.1822170

>church tax
Win. Every country should tax religion.
OP you can see that the bible isn't to be taken literally but many people don't. Some people take the bible to be an absolute word for word truth that must be obeyed.
A few years ago in New Zealand we changed our assault laws to include children so that parental discipline was not excluded from the assault law. I recently heard a politician talk about how they never want to have the public debate again. He was talking about having to listen to fundamentalist Christians who were demanding the right to beat their children because the bible tells them to.

>> No.1822172

>>1822125
nope. just stating the obvious.

>> No.1822263

>>1822170
cool

>> No.1822285
File: 28 KB, 448x500, son-i-am-proud.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1821708 i live in Germany and we have to pay church tax if we are officially religious.

>> No.1822471
File: 125 KB, 1042x486, negative confesion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1822084
http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ebod/ebod12.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ebod/ebod17.htm

[Rubric of Chapter LXXII.] (I). If this writing be (2) known [by the deceased] upon earth, and this chapter be done into writing upon [his] coffin, he shall come forth by (3) day in all the forms of existence which he desireth, and he shall enter into [his] place and shall not be rejected. (4) Bread and ale and meat shall be given unto Osiris, the scribe Ani, upon the altar of Osiris. He shall (5) enter into the Fields of Aaru in peace, to learn the bidding of him who dwelleth in Tattu; (6) there shall wheat and barley be given unto him; there shall he flourish as he did upon (7) earth; and he shall do whatsoever pleaseth him, even as [do] the gods who are in the underworld, (8) for everlasting millions of ages, world without end.

Appendix: The text of Chapter LXXII. does not occur in the Papyrus of Ani. It is given by M. Naville (see Todtenbuch, I., Bl. 84) from, a papyrus in the Louvre. In the vignettes which accompany it, the deceased is represented as adoring three gods, who are either standing in a shrine or are seated upon it. In other instances, the deceased stands by a sepulchral chest or outside a pylon with hands raised in adoration. The following is a translation of the Louvre text:--

pic is of the negative confession (id est ten commandments)

do i really have to do your fucking religion homework for you?

>> No.1822504
File: 28 KB, 299x480, pantera.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

by the way.. im the one that keeps asserting this is the biological father of jeshua

say hi to PANTERA
look him up yourself

>> No.1822515

>church tax
Forced to give back for wasting oxygen? That's sweet.

>> No.1822550

the pope recently visited where i live (UK)
which i have no problem with.
but his trip was funded by UK taxpayer's money, which is what i don't understand.
dam government!

>> No.1822575

>>1822084
>>1822172

besides.. you dont even have his mothers name.. just a title ascribed to her
a byte of speculative evidence to my claim is contained in this video
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread513449/pg1

ilamentinadvancetheeventualdemiseofyourreligion.jpg
haveaniceday.wmv

>> No.1822614

the thing that pisses me off about the church most is a toss-up between these 2

blind faith or rather being happily stupid
or
censorship

>> No.1823754

>>1822084
so how am i doing ?
idiot status not rectified?
( ID-IOT latin origin: one without 'id' i.e. a person not with status of identity as roman citizen {e.g. thus not elegible to vote} )

>> No.1823809

i was a christian for a long time... but recently went away. i mean, i still go to church to se friends and what not but i sleep during church... my mom told the pastor and he said "GREAT!!!" which surprised me beyond my dreams.

i am a social-pantheist now. it feels freaking great man.

the one thing that really annoys me is the forceful people who say "GOD NEEDS TO BE EVERYWHERE. THE TRIBES ALL OVER THE WORLD NEED TO HEAR JESUS" they are fine as is. go ahead, they will just harpoon you.

>> No.1824796

>>1823809
when i lived in a bordertown in north east mexico i remember 'missionairies' comming to the basketball courts to preach and give out water etc.
they refused me and a friend water because we were obviously white and american
they didnt speak a word of spanish and when i asked a mexican friend who had endured their self agrandizing preaching who they were and what they were doing he said 'i have no clue but they are giving out water for free!!" (basicaly the city water was not for drinking and could kill you from cholera etc. and bottled water was not free)
overall it was for me yet another disgusting example of what the church really is
they had come all the way from kansas to a place less than a 20 minute walk away from the border so they could pretend they were saving wild savages with their great religion and padding their resumes while they were at it

>> No.1824827

check out asatru op
the hamaval is pretty good

>> No.1825191

>>1821708
Faith is all well and good, it has benefits, however, where I get pissy is the outward attribution. Basically, if something fucks up, religious people will - and I generalise - justify it with some lamewad God's plan bullshit instead of investigating if there was any personal responsibility or contribution. This is how faith can be disempowering, it's like having a giant, invisible parent who will look after it for you...

>> No.1825981
File: 3 KB, 91x91, 1285399430207.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1825191
it this what you mean when you say "when something fucks up"?

the extermination of the jews was an action designed by their religious rivals

Catholic Nazi Connections
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEATQF5lCYo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxCzwz7zTco

nazi muslim connection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcctBDbcdxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxCzwz7zTco

A brief overview of how Islam & the Vatican are connected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753PFAXQkrk

>> No.1826017

im not against religion, im against the way that religion promotes itself i mean, comeon, put this on your facebook if you love jesus????? is it actually endorsed by the man himself?

>> No.1826044

>>1821708
they tell you what to do. I am my own person dammit.
they hinder /sci/entific progression because of "morality".
faith annoys me... without any evidence your claims are invalid.
not doing anything about problems, because you can just "pray". hope isn't a solution.
not really necessary... occam's razor.
i could go on and on...

>> No.1826055

You know what, even atheism is going to shit, and I'm not even a christfag

Dawkins and his squad claim for free thinking and tolerance but then they go outside on parade and compare christfags with Hitler. Oh god this world is going to shit. At this rate theyre gonna make atheism into another doctrine

>> No.1826080
File: 26 KB, 408x402, 1283664034547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1826055
10/10

>> No.1826436

>>1826055
what the fuck are you crying about?
watch the gawdamd movies then comment..

its in no way a comparison ;
things are what they are

and i know, by means of deliberate avoidance, not the slightest of "Dawkins and his squad"

>> No.1826447

Why can't moot just make a fucking religion board and discuss this shit there?

Debating such bullshit is not /sci/ related.

>> No.1826494
File: 212 KB, 2000x800, truth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1826055
the problem seems to me to be
that you have no comprehension of what hitler in fact was
his was more of a religious movement that you seem to know
that's not made up, its just history
plenty of people still alive can tell you how it all went down

>> No.1826560
File: 178 KB, 740x555, 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1826447
i agree
they should be able to move a thread to another board when apropriate
i did my homework in this field already and to me its all one giant fuckin' magnetcar shitstorm
i draw the line at history though..
history must be treated as a science.. or else it becomes a simple matter of /lit/ to rewrite it maliciously
i posted all these..
>>1822075
>>1822471
>>1822504
>>1822575
>>1824796
>>1825981
>>1826436
>>1826494

Pic unreleated.. Wolrds first suv? Russian of course..

>> No.1826581
File: 60 KB, 604x483, 1285716049306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This, this right here is why i hate religion, it holds us back, and it keeps us stupid. Think about what we would be doing right know if we didn't have 1000 years or no scientific improvement, that graph makes me rage every time i see it....

>> No.1826611

>>1826581
atheistfag here

seriously... wtf is the source of this gram and what the hell does it measure?

>> No.1826616
File: 64 KB, 600x533, 1285384920289.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

and i also posted
>>1823754
in response to
>>1822084
..sonofabitch anon christfag calling me an idiot
got me hot.. ignorant puke probably never even saw i responded

>> No.1826641

>>1826616
>Idiot status confirmed.
>Thinks a papyrus is a stone tablet.

>> No.1826648
File: 102 KB, 750x600, 1285511749714.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1826581
what you seem to be unaware of..
is that at about the time your chart claims it all went to shit
the MAGNA CHARTA came out and the ultra rich uprooted themselves from the constraints of the royality
they spent that time digging in and taking control of this planet
you probably have already got /proof/ this didnt happen and can now choke yourself to death with laughter..
but it happend
and they own us so completely now its hard to describe

if they wanted to go to mars publicly it could happen tommorow

gliese as well
could launch in a month

if they wanted to fix the schools
or the economy

it would be done in less than a year

they have the world they want

they own and control it
and the average surf has no ability to even discern that they are there

>> No.1826664

>>1826611

Try looking at it.

>> No.1826686

>>1826641
nice, back on track..
there exists a bush in the middle east that has oil on its leaves
burns..
not completly unheard of to encounter one ignighted
dosent consume the leaf.. just burns off the oil

and my point was..
that as an egyptian..
with the ability to write..
making engraved tablets would have been as simple a task to moses as you writing a paper yourself.. though you may not be academicaly fit to refer to as the subject of that example

also.. seems you didnt watch the movie
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread513449/pg1
yes.. it requires a bit of critical thinking..