[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 397 KB, 832x435, thedream.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1818080 No.1818080 [Reply] [Original]

Gentlemen, I have a proposition.

If selective breeding and artificial selection can sculpt a gray wolf into a basset hound or a Dalmatian, who's to say we can't go further? Who's to say that, with our modern understanding of genetics, we can't shape the common housedog into something even more spectacular? Something extraordinary? Something like, say, an amphibious dog? Mind you, the process itself would be simple enough, as it was for all dog breeds: select individuals from a population with favorable traits, breed these individuals, then repeat the process with each successive generation. In this case, we'd be selecting individuals on the basis of such traits as swimming ability and lung capacity until, after numerous generations, we've bred a dog that is more at home in the water than out. An aquadog. Who's with me?

>> No.1818091

So you want to guide macro-evolution? This would still take much longer than you have to live, and even if you did long enough to see it happen it probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

You would probably end up with a bunch of shitty byproducts you weren't planning on.

It's not happening is the point though, are you trolling?

>> No.1818094

>graywolfintobassethound
nothowselectivebreedingworks

mutts are at the top of the genepool, selective breeding causes all sorts of unwanted physiological effects. Most showdogs wouldn't be able to survive without human intervention, some are in constant pain, go blind, or become disabled because of the negative breeding effects.

You could try it, but bioengineering would probably be more effecive

>> No.1818100

It's possible I suppose. You'd want to do it with 'really' fast breeding organisms though. Assuming you want to accomplish it within your lifespan, you're better off simply genetically engineering them(I know we're not there yet). As the end results are going to be the same.

>> No.1818112

>>1818091
>macro-evolution

>> No.1818121
File: 15 KB, 369x428, ufo0414a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey /sci/ this morning I just checked and /sci/ had a few UFO threads along with the military saying something about /ufo/s the news around here also did a report on them today while mentioning the military.

So did I miss something? Have we been contacted by aliens? Or is it still shit?