[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 19 KB, 251x193, woahman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1813617 No.1813617 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/

What's your opinion on Creation? I go to a Christian school, and it's like, a lot of what my Bible teacher says makes sense about evolution. Like how it doesn't make sense and stuff. I'm curious, how doe sevolution make any sense at all? We all came from nothing and now we're a bunch of monkies from fish? I mean really.

I'm not trolling either, I'm freaking serous. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

pic unrelated

>> No.1813632

Good question.

I know the best board for this: /b/ or /lit/. They actually enjoy these type of discussions. I'm not even being sarcastic when I refer you to /b/. There are always 250+ replies in a religious thread, guaranteed.

>> No.1813649

>>1813632

Tried /b/. Got 80% trolls and 20% idiots going "LOLCREATIONISGOOD"

I want an honest fucking opinion on this stuff.

>> No.1813653

Brahma created existence. Hinduism predates judaism by thousands of years and has more science backing it up. Seriously, look it up. I can wait.

>> No.1813669

>>1813649
Basically since different fossils seem to point towards evolution and such, and micro-evolution/natural selection can create new breeds of animal(such as dogs)...

...well seriously? Do I need to keep going? We have this thread every single goddamn day. Why must you troll me?! D:

>> No.1813675

>>1813669
Then again most christian schools in the US probably teach that dinosaurs and all other fossils are magically placed by demons and angels to test faith. CARBON DATING BE DAMNED!

>> No.1813677

At least give me a link to something.

>> No.1813684

Can you give any specifics on what your teacher says about evolution?

>> No.1813695

>>1813677
No. You don't deserve it. They're all over the place. If you were doing anything but trolling you wouldn't have spelled your opening statement with so many typos.

>> No.1813699

>>1813649
*sighs* well we didn't come from monkeys, we're apes, related to other apes now because we had common ancestors in the past that we evolved from. Its very often misinterpreted by saying we came from chimps or something like that to make creationist feel better.

>> No.1813725

>>1813669

carbon dating is only accurate to 10,000 years.

>> No.1813739

because a magic man creating everything makes much more sense right op.

anyway, evolution is just a line of best fit. imagine a graph with a bunch of points. each point is a piece of evidence. you have to draw a line of best fit. that line will go through most of the points and close to most of the rest. that's evolution, its a line of best fit for the evidence we currently have.

>> No.1813743

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZdhxkfBCk

>> No.1813749

>>1813649
I can only assume everything you've heard from your teacher was some shit about humans coming from monkeys and other lies that Christian teachers say to molest the minds of young people.

The thing is, evolution works on such a large scale that you can't actually SHOW it happening. You can see obvious links and DNA links. Like how we share so much DNA with the great apes(even more with neanderthal fossils) and the human-like fossils before us.

Microevolution, however, which works on smaller scales is easy to prove. Bacteria evolve all the time and become new strains. It's the changing of one gene at a time, like a mutation. Most of the time the mutations kill whichever creature gets them, but sometimes they end up proving beneficial and surviving to new generations.

>> No.1813762

>>1813725

Normally, I'd ask for a source and tell you that you're wrong.

But in this case, 10,000 years still negates creationism

>> No.1813774

>>1813749
>>you can't show it happening.
Ok, humans have ERV's in common with the other Great Apes in a pattern which precisely matches expected evolutionary relationships. Further inherited mutations in those ERVs match expected evolutionary relationships as well. This can only be explained if the Great Apes (including humans) had a common ancestor.

FOr more modern examples, look up nylonn-producing bacteria in the wild, or any of several experiemnts with bacteria populations in the lab

>> No.1813777

>>1813762
If I'm not mistaken, it's 60000 years. But of course, better sources are available either way, so carbon dating is besides the point.

>> No.1813783

>>1813774
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE DOES NOT ACCEPT YOUR "LOGIC". SHOW US MONKEYS EVOLVING WITHIN TWO GENERATIONS INTO PEOPLE!

>> No.1813793

>>1813762

It's true, for older they use other forms of radiometric dating.

@OP, if you're truly serious about gaining knowledge about evolution, and not listening to the falsehoods that your teacher is telling you check this link:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-evolution.html

>> No.1813811

>>1813783
Blatant troll, or just too stupid to listen or live.

>> No.1813825

>>1813811
that seemed like pretty blatant sarcasm

>> No.1813829

>>1813811

This is why /sci/ is so easy to troll, we let that nagging doubt that it's a serious post overcome the obvious fact that it is a troll.

>> No.1813839

>>1813825
Maybe I'm just too tired for this shit, been up for 27hrs, time for bed. Goodluck spreading education.

>> No.1813853

>>1813829

(Sigh) Yup. I actually hate trolls; I really do.

What's the point of doing it?

Imagine, actually going through the time and effort to specifically go out of your way to actively sound retarded, in order to incite people to react negatively. What the hell?

>> No.1813881
File: 1.26 MB, 507x4247, argument dump.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If this guy is not a troll, I feel really sorry for him. But honestly, poe's law makes it so hard to tell.

>> No.1813886

>>1813839
Yeah, that was pretty obvious sarcasm. GO TO BED.

As for you, OP, there is a plethora of physical evidence pointing towards the possibility of evolution and "the big bang". If you're truly serious about expanding your borders, look into it yourself. Your educators may mean well, but they are heavily misguided. Do not let them do the same to you.