[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 73 KB, 604x443, 1283677667812.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1751854 No.1751854 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/fags, uni student here studying civil engineering.
what are your guys' best studying habits? what works well for you guys and what doesn't? anyone studying whatever, explain.

>> No.1751862

self-bump.

>> No.1751891

Have playlists of various lengths and moods, use them as backgrounds. Make it so you keep studying until the playlist is done. Spend the first couple of minutes of each study session figuring out what you're going to do. Go somewhere where you won't be bothered and put on your headphones. Make sure you have all the equipment you need. Read ahead if you have time, then read it again when the time comes, it means concepts have more time to take hold. Use flashcards for things like simple formulas and rules. Make a mindmap of all your topics, go around it clockwise.

>> No.1751904

I dunno how people study with music on, I find it extremely distracting; basically I need perfect silence apart from the noise I'm making with my books/pen/computer to concentrate.

Rewarding yourself works for a lot of people. E.g. 1 hour of study (meaning no F5ing on /sci/ and no replying to facebook messages) and then an hour of playing vidya/doing wateva u like.

I work in half an hour blocks but I've heard a lot of people say that's too short for them.

>> No.1751905

Don't study near the TV. Don't study near the kitchen. Don't study near room mates who are doing anything even moderately interesting.

Study often and for short periods of time, rather than all at once.

It's better to read the material that will be covered in a lecture *before* the lecture than after it. It seems like extra work, but if you do this, you shouldn't even need to study extra for exams, because you will know the material very well. Plus you'll retain the knowledge for future courses, which will save you many hours in the future. Also, your homework will be much easier, and you'll save time on that. Too many people use homework in lieu of studying, but that's the wrong way to go about it. Treat your assignments as miniature tests that you can go back and correct before submitting.

tl;dr No distractions, study before lecture, don't study and do homework at the same time.

>> No.1751916

Go to lectures, do the readings if you can be bothered, work through the math problems at least sometimes.

When you get an assignment, do just enough reading to get it done to a reasonable degree of quality. Before each test, cram hard for 2-3 days beforehand.

Not the best study habits, but they worked for me. University is actually surprisingly easy, most people there are dumb.

>> No.1751922

>>1751904

have you told these things to a psychiatrist?

because you literally just perfectly described 3 or 4 of the most common symptoms of autism spectrum disorders.

>> No.1751933

>>1751922
haha are you serious? No, I haven't and don't think I ever will see one, but now I'm curious as to what the other symptom is that I'm missing.

>> No.1751945

>>1751904
Some people work better with music. ADD people who hum constantly, etc.