[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 66 KB, 480x441, 1283544561942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1742189 No.1742189 [Reply] [Original]

how do i love science (especially chemistry)
changing my major is way too late.. i wanted to do arts but i'm stuck with engineering..

i have been learning about atoms and molecules from high school but i just don't get it and don't find it interesting.. i want to study now but instead i'm wasting time on 4chan.. is there a way to love something you hate to study?

i also like to say, NEVER go into a major you don't love.. i repeat NEVER.. NO EXCUSES

>> No.1742223

shameless bump

>> No.1742229

>>1742189
why the fuck would you want to study something you hate?

>> No.1742243

>>1742229
because, as i said, it's too late to switch
i didn't know one could make money from art; and i was ignorant as to what majors exist in universities and what to do with my life.. i had no guidance so i went to college and got a diploma, worked for a few months and realized how shitty my job was..

i'm back to university now to get a degree, i already spent another 3 years so i'd need another lifetime to switch majors.. i don't have much time left to enjoy my life so i have to continue..

>> No.1742261

You don't have to love what you majored in
Having a job is not really about having fun
I mean if you can cool, but its not a requirement
In fact most engineers hate engineering

>> No.1742276

>>1742261
i was saying the same thing.. but i realized when i worked that because i don't like my major, i don't give a fuck how it develops and i just get a normal raise, no promotions or anything..
also, i realized i spent more time at work than at home.. i used to work from 7 to 4.. that's almost half the day.. if you spend half the days for the rest of your life doing something you hate... it's drags you down really bad

>> No.1742284

>>1742243
Well an arts degree will not really get you a "job"
You could major in architectural engineering I guess?
Or architecture?

>> No.1742293

>>1742243
"It's too late to drop my mistake and go back" is a dumb mentality. when you're engaging in an activity which you don't like, you stop that activity immediately and then engage in something else. Don't continue to engage in that harmful activity just because you think you need to finish. If you don't like it now, it's not going to get any better and you'll just keep telling your self "Fuck, I wish I'd switched."

>> No.1742298

>>1742284
Oh also you can do graphic design
or be a starving artist...
But you'd run the risk of starving...

>> No.1742307

Any advice for someone who's finishing up a double major in political science / philosophy and is considering going back and getting a second Bachelors in engineering of some kind?

>> No.1742317

>>1742307
dude just become a lawyer or go into politics or something
Being an engineer is not that great anyways...
You know Dilbert?
Yeah everybody laughs at it claiming its just a cartoon, let me tell you
ITS NOT

>> No.1742329

>>1742307

Apply your liberal art credits to that degree and you'll finish up your B.E. in two/three years, flat. Do you have any Calculus courses under your belt? If not, try to study some stuff online and collect some textbooks on Differential and Integral calculus.

>> No.1742336

Change your major anyway. Money is stupid. Therefore, ignore it.

>> No.1742345

>>1742293

>>1742307

In my situation (the post above), I'm just not sure switching is a good idea. I like learning about the human body, about physics, I like learning about chemistry and things like that. I also like learning about political science and I enjoy some parts of philosophy but I find that they're not rigorous at all. There's no set answer, and I can't 'make' anything with them but at the same time I'm terrible with math (but completely willing to learn, it's just the only math related thing I've taken since grade 11 is business calculus this past summer and had I not dropped it I would've gotten a 40%. Business calc doesn't use tan cos sin etc and probably skips some other stuff too). I also never took anything past grade 11 physics and didn't take chem or bio but I feel like I've grown into much more of an academic in the past 4 years. Advice?

>> No.1742352

brah, the only point after which "it's too late" is when you're dead

>> No.1742363

>>1742317

Doing law kind of interests me, that's my other option really. But what I think would be cool is if I could get my BE as well and do something like patent law or work for a R&D lobby group. I want to promote science in some way is all, I really do believe that the people who have afforded us the technology we've used to exist in the way we do today are the most important. I want to work with them, not with self-absorbed cut-throat lawyers and politicians.

>> No.1742365

>>1742345
My advise is to not waste time majoring in something else and just look for something else to do with your degree
I don't know
-become a lawyer
-get into politics
-get an MBA
-get a graduate degree
-become a military officer/police chief
-just get some job that just requires a bachelors on something
-write a book
-start a cult
I don't know anything is better than wasting an additional 4 years of your life

>> No.1742380

>>1742365
actually disregard that
I really don't feel comfortable giving this sort of advice to people... I mean its your life, you can't decide on something based on what someone said on the internet...

>> No.1742387

>>1742365

I really want to know more math and science though, I mean I appreciate them a lot, my dad was in aerospace medicine, got to work for NASA, lectured on a groundbreaking paper he wrote on human factors in flight, and it just seems like there's so much more to that then what there is to law. I guess I can't expect to do the same but I'd like to try to come up with something great and the first place to start is learning the basics. For the record though, I am much better at liberal arts but I feel that's only because they're easier. When I took that math course in the summer, even though I had to drop it I felt like I'd learned more than in the past 3 years.

>> No.1742391

>>1742387
>aerospace medicine, got to work for NASA, lectured on a groundbreaking paper he wrote on human factors in flight
Holy shit. Your dad sounds freakishly smart

>> No.1742396

>>1742380

Don't worry I've considered what you suggested, in fact I was set on going to law school until I took that math course and was reintroduced to it. I really like math, especially its applications in physics of all kinds. To me it's the modern day philosophy, 'philosophy' and law both to me seem vague, poorly thought out, and behind the times. I guess I like the idea of arguing though, and of the prestige and the easy money since I know I'll be good at it.

>> No.1742400
File: 24 KB, 298x400, post_doc_math.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>phd in math
>any job I want
>500m starting

>> No.1742405

>>1742189

grass is always greener as they say.
interest is acquired you aren't born with it. You just have to apply yourself to your field and figure out specific things that interest you. Or figure out how you can apply your field to what already interests you.

Also don't rely on school to satisfy your curiosities and interests. Whats the point? Arts can be self-taught easily, just get a library card and some determination.

>> No.1742433

>>1742391

He died recently actually, in April, and a situation like that really makes you evaluate where you are in life and where you're going. The stress of his work made him stop taking care of himself and things spiraled down from there. I didn't know him in his prime obviously (he married late, and advised I do the same) but he told stories that made it sound as though he had fallen from the greatness that comes from youthful success and freedom. He was still happy with where he was I think, but just severely overworked, probably because he was one of two people in Canada with the qualifications he had. He advised that I don't go into law or medicine, he said I should go to college, learn a trade skill where the market demand is and work as much or as little as I wanted to, not trapped by endless duties. I don't think he meant that he didn't want to do it at all, but he never had a vacation or a break, and so I'd like to figure out how I can balance my own life: to reach the same level success his did in tribute, but making sure I'm not letting it get the best of me as he would have wanted me to.

>> No.1742479

>>1742433
did he die by overworking himself.....?