[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 300x400, Worth_enough_small.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1741275 No.1741275 [Reply] [Original]

I'm not sure what to discuss. I suppose we could talk about climate change.

#1. Is it generally understood in 2010 what role it plays in CNPA ideology?

#2. What were the leading proposals for correcting it? Was no thought given to possible consequences?

#3. The first cohabs have already been built unless I'm mistaken (CityCenter Vegas, Destiny USA, etc.) though they weren't called that until after the war. Does anyone you know live in a hab?

#4. What's the consensus on the proposal to cover major cities in nanopolymer domes as a means of protecting them from climate change? Supposedly they go back to the turn of the century; the earliest mentions I can see which are serious rather than fiction date to 2008.

>> No.1741371 [DELETED] 

Cool thread bro

>> No.1741391

Didn't you used to post on /v/?

>> No.1741393

Lol monopolymer domes.

>> No.1741400

>nanopolymer
Why would you want nanopolymers? The good ones are MACROpolymers.

>> No.1741409

>>1741393

Yes, based on the visionary designs of Buckminster Fuller, one of the historic noble minds.

>> No.1741421

>>1741409
nano or monopolymer? Can't be both.

>> No.1741428

>>1741400

The original domes were ETFE based. Derivatives of that material required nanoengineering to achieve the desired surface properties, such as the ability to collect solar energy while retaining their original transparency.

>> No.1741433

>>1741421

I never said monopolymer. Re-read the post.

>> No.1741471

What is the state of space travel? Have we been contacted by aliens yet?

>> No.1741498

Are there niggers in the future

God I hope not

>> No.1741516

>>1741275

>climate change

in b4 "skeptics"

I have a question though, you never mentioned CNPA targeting Muslims, but given how events are unfolding it seems very likely that they will be the first and most prominent victims. Could you give us an account of the events leading up to the civil war again?

>> No.1741527

>>1741498
All skin colors eventually coalesce to lighter skin in advanced cultures. Brown skinned people around the world are typically attracted to the lighter skinned of their race.

The entire population of earth eventually being light skinned is a pretty safe bet.

On the other hand, I think this "nigger" you're talking about is a culture and I don't think it's fate can be predicted. The optimist in me says that things will get better as humans become more and more enlightened with time.

>> No.1741547

>>1741428
>ability to collect solar energy while retaining their original transparency.
Wat. Does it intercept light or not?
>>1741527

They'll die when the first cities fail.

>> No.1741556

>>1741516

>>you never mentioned CNPA targeting Muslims

I absolutely did. Muslims, liberals, atheists, homosexuals and feminists were the primary victims.

>>Could you give us an account of the events leading up to the civil war again?

From what I've read, Glenn Beck appears scheduled to make an announcement alongside Sarah Palin at an upcoming rally. This did not happen in the history I was taught.

Some time ago, one of you claimed to have emailed my threads to Glenn Beck. Maybe the culprit thought it would result in "lolz". As this is the only web community I've exposed myself as an ETP poster to, it would seem that someone from this site is directly responsible for altering the course of history. Congratulations I guess.

>> No.1741574 [DELETED] 

>>1741556

>Glenn Beck appears scheduled to make an announcement alongside Sarah Palin at an upcoming rally

That happened a few weeks ago, actually. August 28, 2010

>> No.1741579

>>1741547

>>Wat. Does it intercept light or not?

Primitive transparent solar cells existed near the turn of the century, didn't they? It shouldn't be unheard of.

>>The entire population of earth eventually being light skinned is a pretty safe bet.

Vanillas are largely light skinned, though mostly due to the type of lighting used in habs and infrequent trips outside. It's still possible to guess at ancestry. Reprogenetic variation is all over the place, and it's not uncommon to see every possible superficial variation on skin, hair and eye color in the course of a single outing.

>> No.1741585

>>1741574

>>That happened a few weeks ago, actually. August 28, 2010

Shit, I misread the date. Or my session got bumped. Either way, what did they announce?

>> No.1741592

FUTUREBRO

What ever happened with that conspiracy that you discovered about those micro-black-hole explosions thing that apparently caused the dinosaurs to go extinct and the Tunguska explosion?

Or are you still forbidden from talking about it

>> No.1741599

>>1741592

>>Or are you still forbidden from talking about it

I have no knowledge of what you're referring to and as I'm presently stationed aboard a Unisec vessel if I had such information I would be unwise to divulge it.

>> No.1741602

>fond memories of discovering John Titor

>> No.1741620

>>1741579
the one thing that kills the immersion for me when reading your posts, Future, is how you have new jargon for things that have perfectly fine jargon in my time.

Why would people just all of the sudden start calling their home a "hab" when "home" or "house" have worked just fine for thousands of years?

There are other examples of this that I've read in some other of your posts that bothers me. Of course, I can't remember them but there are several other examples. I just don't buy that people all of the sudden start using different words for things that already exist in the now. I think science fiction authors have a bad habit of doing this... they get in to the mode of making up words for new things that they introduce in their novels but then don't know when to stop and give new names to things that already exist at the present.

hate it

>> No.1741627

>>1741585

Nothing much, the rally was titled "Restoring Honor" and it was a hodgepodge of incoherent religious rambling. Beck received a lot of criticism for hosting the rally on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech. Apart from that, it was quite anticlimactic.

In an unrelated incident, many people across the US are burning Qu'rans on 9/11 in protest of a Muslim-owned community centre being built near Ground Zero.

>> No.1741635

>>1741602

>>fond memories of discovering John Titor

I was advised to read his website. He describes what sounded to me an awful lot like the potential outcome had the CNPA somehow won the war. His 'time machine' also contained components that I immediately recognized as central to entanglement transievers. His used a short range particle accelerator to inject electrons into a tight orbit around a microsingularity but it lacked the heim field generator, using some other means of producing a singularity that I didn't recognize and which seemed implausibly compact.

>> No.1741649

>>1741627

>>Nothing much, the rally was titled "Restoring Honor" and it was a hodgepodge of incoherent religious rambling.

Wasn't that just the first or second rally? It isn't the one I was referring to. There were countless rallies leading up to the emergence of the CNPA as a political organization just prior to the war.

>> No.1741662 [DELETED] 

>>1741620

>>the one thing that kills the immersion for me when reading your posts, Future, is how you have new jargon for things that have perfectly fine jargon in my time.

Why would people just all of the sudden start calling their home a "hab" when "home" or "house" have worked just fine for thousands of years?

What? We still use those words. A hab is not a single family residence like a house is. Rather, it's an enormous mixed-zone indoor structure in the tens of millions of square feet interior space, accommodating thousands of families.

>> No.1741669

>>1741620
Because HAB is an acronym.

>> No.1741670

>>1741620

>>Why would people just all of the sudden start calling their home a "hab" when "home" or "house" have worked just fine for thousands of years?

What? We still use those words. A hab is not a single family residence like a house is. Rather, it's an enormous mixed-zone indoor structure in the tens of millions of square feet interior space, accommodating thousands of families.

>> No.1741679

>>1741649

Well, that's interesting. Which specific rally are you referring to? What is Glenn Beck supposed to announce?

>> No.1741686

>>1741669

It's shorthand, actually, for cohab. Which is itself a portmanteau of consolidated habitat, named for the general trend of consolidated habitation, an observed backlash against urban sprawl following the war which resulted in all sorts of non-traditional cities, such as the short lived "eco villages" and underground cities nearer the equator.

>> No.1741693

>>1741649
Should I burn atheistic and/or anti theist books that I have?

If the CNPA is going to come around, I'll take self preservation... at least until a pocket of resistance can be organized.

>> No.1741705 [DELETED] 

>>1741693

>>Should I burn atheistic and/or anti theist books that I have?

Bury them. Most complete prewar books of that nature (history books, qur'ans, books dealing with homosexuality, etc) that we now have archived were buried as a precaution by academics and librarians before they fled the country. Few made it out, but they made an enormously valuable and far-sighted contribution to postwar America.

If the CNPA is going to come around, I'll take self preservation... at least until a pocket of resistance can be organized.

>> No.1741710

>>1741693

>>Should I burn atheistic and/or anti theist books that I have?

Bury them. Most complete prewar books of that nature (history books, qur'ans, books dealing with homosexuality, etc) that we now have archived were buried as a precaution by academics and librarians before they fled the country. Few made it out, but they made an enormously valuable and far-sighted contribution to postwar America.

>> No.1741741

>>1741635
>>He describes what sounded to me an awful lot like the potential outcome had the CNPA somehow won the war.

Futurebro confirmed for paralleluniversebro

>> No.1741740
File: 34 KB, 450x338, future-car-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1741275
hey futureguy will we have burbclaves in the future? i wanna be a deliverator

>> No.1741752

>>1741740

Not sure what that is. Nobody delivers anything, goods come from autolabor compounds to the habs via cargo PRT and are distributed from there by simple robots. Most food is actually produced locally, by agriculture towers built into the hab itself.

>> No.1741800

>>1741752
a 'burbclave' is a franchise operated quasi-national entity (FOQNE), sort of like a gated suburban community with it's own private security arrangement, except it is a fully sovereign nation and many of them can be strung together into a franchise, much like McDonalds strings together it's restaurants.
does anything like this exist in the near future before the whole communist 'hab' thing gets going?

>> No.1741823

>>1741275

>#1. Is it generally understood in 2010 what role it plays in CNPA ideology?

For anyone paying attention, yeah

>#2. What were the leading proposals for correcting it? Was no thought given to possible consequences?

There are no leading proposals. It was assumed that all American citizens had the right to freedom of speech and association, and if they used their freedoms to form theocracy advocacy groups then so be it. Checks and balances in government and law enforcement agencies are assumed to be adequate roadblocks against extremist violence.

A few political scientists like Bob Altermeyer encouraged people to make friends with Bible Belt types. Since there was a strong correlation between toleration of homosexuals and knowing a homosexual personally, the idea is that their little bubble could be broken if you had the will to go over to the other side and pop it. However, this is not a very popular idea, and Christian extremism is not considered a threat by most Americans.

>> No.1741828

I'm from the year 2315 and I find every post this man makes a welcome change from the harsh environment outside and the drap crass tone of the internet people.

Also he sounds like he's from the future of my future.
I doubt that though. Actually, hold on.
I have some questions.

How long will it take for the earth to cool and does it ever?

What happens to the united mars? Do they finally come back and assert dominance in a sort of ironic bolshivik turn out?

You say humans have all breeded into one singular race? Is that causing massive inbreeding? Are humans shorter now or taller?

Do you have any records of pre world war 3 2200 era or all they all lost?

Do we ever solve the robot problem caused by apple and ford?

Also, do you ever find a cure for whats been coined as "Nuclear burns" or is this term so old it holds no value?

Disregaurd this if you're from before 2315 and I'm just dumb and illiterate.

>> No.1741836 [DELETED] 
File: 285 KB, 1056x816, figure3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1741823

>#3. The first cohabs have already been built unless I'm mistaken (CityCenter Vegas, Destiny USA, etc.) though they weren't called that until after the war. Does anyone you know live in a hab?

These places are just shopping malls at this point. I don't think anyone lives in them.

>#4. What's the consensus on the proposal to cover major cities in nanopolymer domes as a means of protecting them from climate change? Supposedly they go back to the turn of the century; the earliest mentions I can see which are serious rather than fiction date to 2008.

While the overwhelming majority of climate scientists agree that climate change is a threat, the public is very confused due to a huge disinformation campaign waged by fossil fuel interests. Some hacked e-mails in late 2009 came into public view and was manipulated to seem as if it represented a conspiracy of scientists to make global warming seem worse than it actually was. Since the majority of people don't even believe climate change to be real, we haven't even gotten to the stage of seriously considering policy options to mitigate or adapt to it.

As far as I am aware, there are no serious scientists who think that putting domes over our cities as a serious adaptation mechanism. In fact, that seems kind of absurd to our primitive brains.

>> No.1741832

>>1741800

There are a few eco villages that still operate. At great risk, too, as they have essentially no protection from remnant raids. There are numerous seastead micronations but they are heavily reliant on the mainland for everything they can't produce themselves. A few former submarine and lunar/martian resorts operate independently, but only lunarhab is legally sovreign.

>> No.1741846
File: 85 KB, 600x422, emails.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1741823

>#3. The first cohabs have already been built unless I'm mistaken (CityCenter Vegas, Destiny USA, etc.) though they weren't called that until after the war. Does anyone you know live in a hab?

These places are just shopping malls at this point. I don't think anyone lives in them.

>#4. What's the consensus on the proposal to cover major cities in nanopolymer domes as a means of protecting them from climate change? Supposedly they go back to the turn of the century; the earliest mentions I can see which are serious rather than fiction date to 2008.

While the overwhelming majority of climate scientists agree that climate change is a threat, the public is very confused due to a huge disinformation campaign waged by fossil fuel interests. Some hacked e-mails in leaked in late 2009. They were manipulated to seem as if it represented a conspiracy of scientists to make global warming seem worse than it actually was. Since the majority of people don't even believe climate change to be real, we haven't even gotten to the stage of seriously considering policy options to mitigate or adapt to it.

As far as I am aware, there are no serious scientists who think that putting domes over our cities as a serious adaptation mechanism. In fact, that seems kind of absurd to our primitive brains.

>> No.1741855

>>1741828

>>How long will it take for the earth to cool and does it ever?

Warming has just begun to plateau. I'm from the early 2100s.

>>What happens to the united mars

United Mars? There's only two habs on Mars.

>>You say humans have all breeded into one singular race

No, that wasn't me. Reprogenetics has provided an endless variety of phenotypic expressions. All colors, all tones, all shapes and sizes.

>>Do you have any records of pre world war 3 2200 era or all they all lost

....This war can't be going THAT badly.

>>Do we ever solve the robot problem caused by apple and ford

Not familiar.

>>Also, do you ever find a cure for whats been coined as "Nuclear burns" or is this term so old it holds no value

The only legal production of nuclear explosives is done by Virgin Bigelow, to produce the micro chagres used for pulsed nuclear propulsion, presently being phased out in favor of the nuclear lightbulb drive.

>> No.1741901

>>1741846

>>As far as I am aware, there are no serious scientists who think that putting domes over our cities as a serious adaptation mechanism. In fact, that seems kind of absurd to our primitive brains.

New generation materials make it not only workable but by far the cheapest solution to rising temperatures. It was enacted as a last minute adaptive measure when geoengineering efforts backfire and greatly accelerate climate change. There was time only to save major cities, with suburbs and small towns being abandoned en masse. Cohabs were seen as a way to reclaim lost land, building within the limits imposed by the heat. Large indoor structures turn out to be greatly more efficient to heat and cool than thousands of small, individual houses. Central planning permits the integration of solar, wind and other renewables as well as on-site vertical farming. The exterior, where not coated in solar collectors, is painted white to create the proper albedo.

>> No.1741908

>>1741855
I guess I should give myself some context.

So far it's the year 2315 and alot of the shit has hit the fan.
Global warming happend and it actually happend with very few precautions what so ever.
The water level rised and a few billion people had to move further in land or drown and this caused alot of tension.

The northern passage finally opened up and Canada, russia, and the UK along with Japan become some of the most powerfull countrys in the world.
Anyway, eventually things are going to escalade as the United states economy collapses and due to terrible leadership they finally "jump the gun" sort to speak and a cold war breaks out in 2200.
Mars having been explored and already you know of it's hubs, by this time has been actually somewhat settled and things are going well enough that mars declares it's independance from earth at around 2213.
At around year 2225 the cold war ends in nuclear holocaust.
Luckily though it did not end in the collapse of the global environment.
During the 2100 era, your time.
Alot of medical and biological advancements will be made including the cloning of extinct ice age animals. These animals will play a big part in supporting the environment of my time.

Also apple will team up with ford to mass produce the first sentient robots.
Also much of the world is now cloaked in a thicker atmosphere and the world has a climatic more comparable to "dinosaur times".
There hasn't been anything ice age like since the brief nuclear winter caused by world war 3.

I think that should cover it, you can ask my anything you want about my future.

I'm not very smart though.

>> No.1741909

>>1741901

How did you guys manage to preserve enough agriculture to prevent mass starvation? Did skyscraper farms really work?

>> No.1741917
File: 132 KB, 600x600, northwestpassage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1741908

>The northern passage finally opened up

The Northwest and Northeast Passages are ALREADY open during summer, and it's been like that for the past couple of years.

>> No.1741927

>>1741909

>>How did you guys manage to preserve enough agriculture to prevent mass starvation? Did skyscraper farms really work?

Yes. It was the means of farming most consonant with the new economic system, as it was the easiest to automate.

>> No.1741934

>>1741927
You're either from the future like you say you are, or a bloody good sci-fi writer.

>> No.1741938

>>1741934

It's not going to seem that fantastically implausible when you're doing it. Depends how old you are now, I guess.

>> No.1741956

>Time travel

Enjoy killing yourself.

>> No.1741964

>>1741927

How do the oceans look? In our time it seems like overfishing, anoxic zones and global warming-caused acidification will eventually wipe out almost everything that lives in the sea except bacteria and jellyfish.

>> No.1741969

>>1741956

Time travel is impossible. At least so far as anyone currently knows. ETP involves sending one half of an entangled pair of electrons, photons, etc. (depending on the target network) back through time by injecting them (by plasma wakefield accelerator) into a tight orbit around a microsingularity produced at the point of intersection between two toroidal heim fields, produced with superconducting rings spinning very close to one another in a vacuum, at near absolute zero.

>> No.1741974

Fuck yeah, I love these threads.

I'm from NZ, got any idea if anything interesting happens here? Or do we just chill out as always?

>> No.1741976

>>1741917

I'm sorry I'm saying this in a way thats more relatable in my own terms.
When I said it opened up I mean it really opened up.

Ships were able to maneuver through the passage no matter what time of the year it was.
The nothern territories of alaska, yukon, and southern northwest territories and nunavut are wet, soggy, forested versions of their selves.

>> No.1741993

>>1741964

>>How do the oceans look? In our time it seems like overfishing, anoxic zones and global warming-caused acidification will eventually wipe out almost everything that lives in the sea except bacteria and jellyfish.

By your standards they're toxic, but reprogenetic sea life was introduced species by species, as their un-altered equivalent died out. Eventually the oceanic ecosystem had been replaced with a new one, designed to be resistant to pollutants, a rising ph and so on.

The sea is presently farmed with robots. A handful of manned colonies exist, populated mainly by fanatics opposed to the autolabor economic model, anarchists, those sorts. Most live in what used to be luxury resorts, but a few historic colonies exist that were privately founded. It's the only place left on Earth where a person still has to labor in exchange for food, shelter and other necessities.

>> No.1742020

>>1741993

Hmm, turns out better than expected I guess.

This raises a question of where all these new resources came from though. To bio-engineer an entire new oceanic ecosystem, to build hundreds of habs and cover them in giant domes, and to establish permanent colonies on the Moon, these are all incredible feats that don't seem to be possible in less than a century. Is autolabor really that efficient? Where does the energy required to cool habs and dome cities come from?

>> No.1742057

>>1742020

>>This raises a question of where all these new resources came from though. To bio-engineer an entire new oceanic ecosystem, to build hundreds of habs and cover them in giant domes, and to establish permanent colonies on the Moon, these are all incredible feats that don't seem to be possible in less than a century. Is autolabor really that efficient? Where does the energy required to cool habs and dome cities come from?

Domes are engineered to be self cooling by virtue of the way air flows within them. Electricity is mainly produced by chains of automated thorium reactors, heliostats, and geothermal plants.

There are a few "master factories" which produce the components used to build new autolabor compounds. They're irreplaceable. We use standardized modular components for as much as possible as it requires less complex robots to assemble but the specialized components can only be produced at these central, aging facilities. For obvious reason they are closely guarded. If they were destroyed, our way of life would be endangered.

Exploitation of the sea, and of the asteroid belt provided much of the additional resources needed, although we've also found more plentiful alternatives to materials that were increasingly scarce, bioplastics being a good example.

>> No.1742101

>>1742057

It sounds plausible on the surface, but I have a feeling that calculating the GDP, commodities, raw materials, population, etc. would lead to a serious imbalance between what is physically possible and the society you're telling us is thriving in your time. I suspect that a major population crash must have occurred, making it easier to house and feed the non-Christian survivors. Anyway, it's getting late here, so I'll see if the thread's up in the morning if you feel like replying. Good night futurebro

>> No.1742123

>>1742101

>>It sounds plausible on the surface, but I have a feeling that calculating the GDP, commodities, raw materials, population, etc. would lead to a serious imbalance between what is physically possible and the society you're telling us is thriving in your time.

Heh. You could find one if you went looking for it. But it is what it is.

>>I suspect that a major population crash must have occurred, making it easier to house and feed the non-Christian survivors.

You could say that. Outsiders aren't legally entitled to benefit from robot labor.

>>Anyway, it's getting late here, so I'll see if the thread's up in the morning if you feel like replying. Good night futurebro

I send most of my 'paycheck' back to Siane and the kids so I can't leave the session open indefinitely, sorry.

>> No.1742159 [DELETED] 

>>1741679

>>Well, that's interesting. Which specific rally are you referring to? What is Glenn Beck supposed to announce?

Late to the thread, but this was in my RSS feed:

"During Her Book Tour, Sarah Palin Hints at Possibility of 2012 Run With Fox News Host Glenn Beck"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/19/politics/main5708759.shtml

>> No.1742162

>>1741679
>>Well, that's interesting. Which specific rally are you referring to? What is Glenn Beck supposed to announce?

Late to the thread, but this was in my RSS feed: "During Her Book Tour, Sarah Palin Hints at Possibility of 2012 Run With Fox News Host Glenn Beck"
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/19/politics/main5708759.shtml

>> No.1742263

I have to go fairly soon. Let me know if there's anything else.