[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 47 KB, 640x600, File Observable universe atlasoftheuniverse.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1718102 No.1718102 [Reply] [Original]

Some food for you (no troll).

Everybody agrees that the speed of light is a constant, that nothing can travel faster than it.

So, for example we have a wormhole that has it's holes situated longer than the length of 10 seconds that light could travel.

I would step into the wormhole and emerge from the other end after 5 seconds (or even 9,9999999999999 seconds if you wish).

There are only four conclusions that I could draw from that thought process:

Either
a)The speed of light is not the speed limit of a particle or body
b)Wormholes don't exist because of the speed of light being the speed limit
c)Time changes in favor to me
d)Time changes in favor to the universe

>> No.1718105

Go read the wiki article for wormholes first, then ask a less stupid question.

>> No.1718106

>that nothing can travel faster than it.
incorrect, we just wouldn't be able to observe it

>> No.1718110

lern2foldspacetime, idiot

>> No.1718113

>Everybody agrees that the speed of light is a constant, that nothing can travel faster than it.
That's an oversimplification. An ordinary particle cannot, without changes to the spacetime or some yet-unknown effect (if there is any) travel faster than the speed of light.
We have yet to actually confirm the existence of a wormhole, as far as I know, so your question is hypothetical at best.

>> No.1718120

Going through a wormhole does not mean traversing the intervening distance at speed, ftl or otherwise. It's a warping of the structure of space itself to put the sorce and destination physically right next to each other. That's the whole point.

>> No.1718217

INFORMATION cannot travel faster than light.

>> No.1718236

>>1718217
Einstein said this about, entangled particles

>> No.1718256

>>1718236

Einstein also referred to entanglement as spooky action at a distance.

>> No.1718258

I'm not sure whether such wormholes are allowed in Riemannian space as it is used in GR, sure like non-vanishing torsion to me. However, that's just my intuition, I might as well be dead wrong.

>> No.1718261

>>1718258
That post a verb.